Index Conventions in Linear Algebra & Apps: David Griffel

• Thread starter Rasalhague
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Index
In summary, David Griffel writes about the convention of denoting the components of covectors with superscripts instead of subscripts in Linear Algebra and its Applications. This differs from the usual convention seen in introductory texts for vectors and covectors. Griffel also discusses the use of a dual basis and how it relates to the components of a vector and covector. There is some confusion regarding the notation of covariant and contravariant components and how they are labeled in different texts. It is possible that Griffel has a different method of introducing these concepts, leading to the difference in notation.
Rasalhague
In Linear Algebra and its Applications, David Griffel writes, "The components of covectors are often denoted by superscripts, rather than subscripts." This differs from the usual convention, doesn't it? Unless I've completely misunderstood the concept (quite possible!), the introductory texts that I've seen so far have denoted the components of vectors with superscripts, and the components of covectors (one-forms, linear function(al)s) with subscripts). E.g.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covector#Bases_in_finite_dimensions

For example, Griffel writes as follows:

Let [tex]x_{r}[/tex] be the rth component of a vector x in V with respect to a basis [tex]\left\{e_{i},...,e_{n}\right\}[/tex], and [tex]g^{r}[/tex] the rth component of a covector g with respect to the dual basis. Then

[tex](a)\; g^{r} = g\left(e_{r} \right)[/tex]
[tex](b)\; g\left(x \right) = \sum_{}^{} g^{r} x_{r}[/tex]

If this does differ from normal usage, as I suspect, how would it be rewritten according to the usual convention? Should I put the index on g down, and the index on x up, and leave the index down on e?

And where he writes

There is a basis [tex]\left\{f_{i},...,f_{n}\right\}[/tex] for [tex]V^{\ast}[/tex], called the dual basis, such that

[tex]f_{r}\left(e_{s} \right) = \delta_{rs}[/tex], for r,s = 1,...,n

would the normal convention be for the index written r to appear as a superscript on the basis of the dual space [tex]V^{\ast}[/tex], and for the Kronecker's delta here to have superscript r and subscript s?

Any advice welcome!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I thought he'd just reversed the conventional notation for subscripts and supetscripts that I've seen in various texts, including Geometrical Methods of Mathematical Physics by Bernard Schutz and Vector and Tensor Analysis by Borisenko and Taparov, the Wikipedia page I linked to, and others. But now I'm not sure what's going on.

On p. 178, Griffel writes, "The components of a vector v in V are called covariant components. If V is a real inner product space, it is naturally isomorphic to V* (its dual), so each v in V corresponds to a certain v* in V*. Thus one thinks of v* as being another form of v. The components of v* are regarded as being another type of component of v; the contravariant components of a vector v with respect to a basis E are defined as the components of v* with respect to the dual basis F. The covariant and contravariant components of v with respect to a basis E are denoted [tex]v_{i}[/tex] and [tex]v^{i}[/tex] respectively.

"[tex]v^{i} = v^{*}(e_{i})[/tex] = [tex]<e_{i},v> = <e_{i},\sum_{}^{}v_{j}e_{j}>[/tex]

"Hence

"[tex]v^{i} = \sum_{j}^{}v_{j}<e_{j},e_{i}>.[/tex] (3)

"[...]If the basis vectors are normalised, the contravariant components have a simple geometrical interpretation. Equation (3) shows that [tex]v^{i}[/tex] is length of the orthogonal projection of v onto the direction of [tex]e_{i}[/tex]."

But on p. 28 of Vector and Tensor Analysis, Borisenko and Taparov label the orthogonal projections of a vector they call A onto the unprimed basis vectors

[tex]\frac{A_{i}}{||\mathbf{e_{i}}||}[/tex]

and call [tex]A_{i}[/tex] the covariant components. So is Griffel reversing both the sub/superscript convention and the names "contravariant" and "covariant" components (with the exception of the practice of putting a subscript for the basis vectors [tex]\mathbf{e_{i}}[/tex] on which point he agrees with the others, or is there something deeper to it?

Rasalhague said:
But on p. 28 of Vector and Tensor Analysis, Borisenko and Taparov label the orthogonal projections of a vector they call A onto the unprimed basis vectors

By which I mean the basis vectors of the original basis, that Borisenko and Taparov with subscripts.

[tex]\left\{ \mathbf{e_{1},...,\mathbf{e_{n}} }\right\}[/tex]

(See attachment.)

I wonder if the anomaly could be because Griffel really has used a different method of introducing these ideas which somehow allows him to use subscripted basis vectors (i.e. the kind of basis vectors which other authors denote with superscripts), where - if he'd been following the usual way of introducing it - he'd have denoted them with superscripts (to indicate the same sort of basis vectors that other authors denote with subscripts). Whatever that might mean...

Attachments

• basis.jpg
    basis.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 393

1. What are index conventions in linear algebra?

Index conventions in linear algebra refer to the standard notation used to represent vector and matrix operations. This notation includes indices or subscripts that indicate the position of a specific element within a vector or matrix.

2. Why are index conventions important in linear algebra?

Index conventions are important in linear algebra because they allow for clear and concise representation of mathematical operations. They also help to avoid confusion and errors when working with complex vector and matrix calculations.

3. What is the standard index convention for vectors in linear algebra?

The standard index convention for vectors in linear algebra is to use a single index or subscript to denote the position of an element within the vector. This index typically starts at 1 and increases by 1 for each subsequent element.

4. How are index conventions used in matrix multiplication?

In matrix multiplication, index conventions are used to indicate which elements of the matrices are being multiplied together. The indices of the first matrix correspond to the rows, while the indices of the second matrix correspond to the columns.

5. Are there any alternative index conventions used in linear algebra?

Yes, there are alternative index conventions used in linear algebra, such as the Einstein notation or the Kronecker delta notation. These alternative conventions may be more compact or efficient for certain types of calculations, but the standard index convention is still the most commonly used in linear algebra applications.