What Components Make Up an Op Amp?

• Thread starter uzair_ha91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amp Op amp
In summary, an operational amplifier (op amp) is a basic building block of analog electronic circuits. It consists of three main components: an inverting input, a non-inverting input, and an output. The inverting input is used to amplify and invert the input signal, while the non-inverting input is used to amplify and retain the same polarity of the input signal. The output is the amplified signal from the op amp. Other components, such as resistors and capacitors, are often used in conjunction with the op amp to create more complex circuits. Overall, the combination of these components allows an op amp to perform various mathematical operations and amplification functions, making it a versatile and essential component in electronics.
uzair_ha91
What's inside an op amp? Is it just an npn transistor used for amplification? So can we explain it in the terms of base and collector current?
Please elaborate simply (It's a high school project)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Op amps contain many transistors, some are used for amplification, others for current sources.

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/so1os/500px-OpAmpTransistorLevel_Colored_Labeled.svg.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so if I know what npn transistor, its structure, its working and its formulas like current gain=[tex]\beta[/tex]=Vo/Vin are and how it can be used as an amplifier and as a switch, will I be able to understand op amps? In other words, does it have the same basics? Is it a combination of many npn transistor amplifiers (as depicted by the image you posted)?

Instead of trying to understand op-amps as the sum of their parts, youy're probably beetter off learning op-amp theory as a fundamental unit. Think of an op-amp as a black box; you don't need to know what's inside in order to understand it, you need only know how it behaves given specific input.

http://www.pic101.com/op_amp.htm

ok, that means its a black box which amplifies, that's it, right?

@waht how did you drop the white background in the image you posted?

It may not hae been initially clear, but there's a link in my prior post which answers your op-amp question. An op-amp is an amplifier which has the following characteristics:

1) Assume the output impedance as almost zero.

2) Assume the - input impedance as almost zero.

3) Assume the + input impedance as almost infinite.

4) The gain is programmable by the feedback resistor, the resistor from the output pin to the negative input pin, from zero to infinite depending on the device.

5) An opamp can amplify AC or DC voltages, or both.

EDIT: I've bolded an error I just noticed in the previous link. Everything else looks okay, but I'll provide an alternate link with more accurate information:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electronic/opampi.html

Last edited:
Oh K...I checked out the link you gave and I have a question regarding it::

fig19.gif

fig22.gif

Can you tell why the second equation has Rf+Rin while the first one does not?

uzair_ha91 said:
ok, that means its a black box which amplifies, that's it, right?

@waht how did you drop the white background in the image you posted?

That's because the image has .png extension which is basically a multi layered image, and it does not have a background encoded so it could save memory.

Can you tell why the second equation has Rf+Rin while the first one does not?

There are two assumptions when analyzing op-amp circuits:

1. The inputs have infinite input resistance.
2. Output has infinite gain.

and when you apply this you are going to get a lot of weird equations.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_8/2.html

Can you explain the second step of the derivation where i is calculated for both resistors?

Attachments

• opamp8.gif
    opamp8.gif
    4 KB · Views: 571
Last edited:

What is an op amp?

An op amp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic device that amplifies the difference between two input signals. It is commonly used in electronic circuits for various applications such as amplification, filtering, and signal processing.

How does an op amp work?

An op amp typically consists of three main components: an inverting input, a non-inverting input, and an output. It works by taking the difference between the two input signals and amplifying it to produce a larger output signal.

What is the purpose of an op amp?

The main purpose of an op amp is to amplify signals. It can also be used for other functions such as filtering, signal conversion, and mathematical operations. It is a versatile device that is essential in many electronic circuits.

What is the ideal behavior of an op amp?

The ideal behavior of an op amp is characterized by infinite gain, infinite input impedance, and zero output impedance. In other words, it amplifies the input signal without any distortion or attenuation and does not draw any current from the input or output sources.

What are some common applications of op amps?

Op amps are used in a wide range of electronic circuits, including audio amplifiers, filters, voltage regulators, and oscillators. They are also commonly used in instrumentation and measurement equipment, such as oscilloscopes and multimeters.