Solve for Initial Speed: Dropping Chestnuts from a Tree

In summary, the problem asks for the initial speed of a second chestnut that is dropped from a height of 10.0 m at the same time that another chestnut is dropped from a height of 2.5 m. The given variables are acceleration due to gravity (a = -9.81 m/s^2) and the two "constant acceleration equations of motion". The first approach involves finding the velocity of the first chestnut after falling 2.5 m and then setting the time taken for both chestnuts to fall equal to each other. The second approach involves finding the time taken for the first chestnut to fall 7.5 m and using this time to find the initial velocity of the second chestnut. Both approaches
unigal13

Homework Statement

While sitting on a tree branch 10.0 m above the ground, you drop a chesnut. When the chestnut has fallen 2.5 m, you throw a second one straight down. What initial speed must you give the 2nd chestnut if they are both to reach the ground at the same time?

Other variables given: a = -9.81 m/s^2

Homework Equations

Constant acceleration equations of motion:
(all of the (f)'s and (i)'s indicate just final and initial - not multipliers)

Formula 1: v(f)^2 = v(i)^2 + 2(a)[x(f) - x(i)]

Formula 2: x(f) = x(i) + v(f)(t) + (1/2)(a)(t)^2

and maybe: x(f) = x(i) + (1/2)[v(i) + v(f)]t

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I would find the velocity of the C1 (first chestnut) after falling 2.5 m, and then designate it v(i). Then I would make the two times equal to each other and in turn manipulate to find the required v(i) of C2.

Here is how I found the velocity of C1 after falling 2.5 m:

Using formula 1:
v(f)^2 = 2(-9.81)[7.5-10]
v(f) = -7.0 m/s

Now I have the following variables for the second part:

C1:
v(i) = -7.0 m/s
x(i) = 7.5 m
x(f) = 0 m

C2:
v(i) = ??
x(i) = 10 m
x(f) = 0 m

So, I decided to use Formula 2, manipulate to solve for time for each, and then set each equation equal to each other. However, it looks quite messy with the quadratic equations and such, so I'm guessing my approach must be wrong.
Maybe I should use the other equation I mentioned above instead? But then it would require a final velocity... I'm stumped!

Please help me out... it would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF.

You know the time C1 takes to fall the 7.5 m height ( time taken to fall 10m minus time taken to fall 2.5m). In this time, C2 falls 10m. Now which formula do you think you should use?

Thank you for your reply!

I think I was making things a bit too complicated.

Would it work if I found the velocity of C1 after falling 2.5 m (I got -7.0 m/s, like I showed above), then found the time it took C1 to fall from 7.5 m to 0 m, using Formula 2:

Formula 2: 0 = 7.5 + (-7.0)(t) + (1/2)(-9.81)(t)^2
When using the quadratic formula, I found time to equal 0.714 s.

Then, I subbed this time into Formula 2 again, this time to find the initial velocity for C2:

Formula 2: 0 = 10 + v(i)(0.714) + (1/2)(-9.81)(0.714)^2
I then found the velocity to be -9.1 m/s.

So is that final answer of -9.1 m/s correct?

Thank you very much to whoever replies!

unigal13 said:
Would it work if I found the velocity of C1 after falling 2.5 m (I got -7.0 m/s, like I showed above), then found the time it took C1 to fall from 7.5 m to 0 m, using Formula 2:

You do not have to explicitly find the speed of C1 after it has fallen 2.5m. You just need to find the time C1 takes to fall 7.5m, as I have pointed out. Nevertheless, your method is OK. I have not checked the calculations.

What is the formula for calculating initial speed when dropping chestnuts from a tree?

The formula for calculating initial speed is: v0 = √(2gh), where v0 represents the initial speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height from which the chestnuts are dropped.

How do you determine the height of the tree if you know the initial speed and time it takes for the chestnuts to reach the ground?

The formula for calculating height is: h = v0t - 1/2gt², where v0 is the initial speed, t is the time it takes for the chestnuts to reach the ground, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Rearranging the formula, we get: h = 1/2gt². Plug in the known values and solve for h to determine the height of the tree.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the initial speed calculation?

The accuracy of the initial speed calculation can be affected by factors such as air resistance, wind, and the shape and weight of the chestnuts. These factors can alter the acceleration of the chestnuts as they fall, leading to a slightly different initial speed.

Can the initial speed be negative when dropping chestnuts from a tree?

Yes, the initial speed can be negative if the chestnuts are thrown downward from the tree. In this case, the acceleration due to gravity would be negative and the initial speed would be in the opposite direction of the chestnuts' motion.

Is there a maximum initial speed that can be achieved when dropping chestnuts from a tree?

Yes, there is a maximum initial speed that can be achieved when dropping chestnuts from a tree. This maximum speed is called the terminal velocity and is reached when the air resistance on the falling chestnuts equals the force of gravity pulling them down. At this point, the acceleration due to gravity is zero and the initial speed remains constant until the chestnuts reach the ground.