Solve Galilean Relativity Homework: Find Staple Distances

In summary, the staple gun fires 10 staples per second while parts move past it at a rate of 4 meters per second. This means that the distance between staples in the finished part is 0.40 meters.
SpringPhysics

Homework Statement

An assembly line has a staple gun that rolls to the left at 1.0 m/s while parts to be stapled roll past it to the right at 3.0 m/s. The staple gun fires 10 staples per second. How far apart are the staples in the finished part?

Homework Equations

r = r' + Vt

The Attempt at a Solution

I set the frames of reference to be the staple gun (S) and the part to be stapled (S'), assuming that their origins coincide at t = 0. The coordinate system will be right = positive. I think that the object is also the part to be stapled.

The velocity of the staple gun relative to the part will be -4.0m/s while the velocity of the part relative to the staple gun will be 4.0 m/s. (Do I need any formulas for that?)

The position of the part is then given by:

r = r' + Vt

Since I assumed that the origins coincided at t = 0, then position is:

r = Vt

So then substituting the velocity and assuming 1 sec has elapsed:

r = (4.0m/s)(1.0s)
r = 4.0 m

Since the staple gun fires 10 staples/sec, the distance between the staples should be 4.0 m/ 10 staples/sec, but that gives me 0.40 m*sec / staple.

Am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at it this way. Assume you are sitting on the staple gun. You look around and you see that there are parts moving past you at 4.0 m/s which means that for every second that goes by, 4 meters worth of parts move past you. You know that 10 staples are fired in that one second that goes by. Can you figure out the distance between staples now?

kuruman said:
Look at it this way. Assume you are sitting on the staple gun. You look around and you see that there are parts moving past you at 4.0 m/s which means that for every second that goes by, 4 meters worth of parts move past you. You know that 10 staples are fired in that one second that goes by. Can you figure out the distance between staples now?

Isn't it just 0.40 m?

Yup.

What is Galilean Relativity?

Galilean Relativity is a principle in physics that states that the laws of motion are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocity. This means that the laws of motion are the same for all inertial frames of reference.

What is the difference between Galilean Relativity and Einstein's Theory of Relativity?

The key difference between Galilean Relativity and Einstein's Theory of Relativity is that Galilean Relativity assumes that time and space are absolute, while Einstein's theory states that time and space are relative and can be affected by gravity and acceleration.

What is the purpose of solving Galilean Relativity homework?

Solving Galilean Relativity homework helps students understand the principles of motion and how they are affected by different frames of reference. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

How do you find staple distances in Galilean Relativity homework?

To find staple distances in Galilean Relativity homework, you would need to use the formula d = v*t, where d is the distance, v is the velocity, and t is the time. This formula can be applied to both stationary and moving objects.

What are some real-life applications of Galilean Relativity?

Galilean Relativity has many real-life applications, including the creation of GPS systems, understanding the behavior of projectiles, and explaining the observed movements of celestial bodies. It also plays a crucial role in the development of transportation systems and technologies.