Unknown operator that performs action on a matrix

In summary, to solve the given problem of dividing the second row of matrix A by a factor a while leaving the other rows unchanged, one can simply change the second term of the identity matrix to 1/a and then multiply it with matrix A. This will give the desired result without the need for finding the inverse of A.
81THE1

Homework Statement

write the matrices M which, when acting on A, divides the second row by a factor a, while leaving the other rows unchanged

Homework Equations

I solved a question on the Gauss-Jordan inversion which showed converting the matrix to the identity would also turn the identity into the inverse; I was thinking for this problem I would take the inversion of A and multiply it by my desired vector to give my answer? Is there a simpler way to do this? assuming my way is correct...

The Attempt at a Solution

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If by 'acting on' you mean the product M*A, then it's a lot easier than you think. The identity matrix doesn't change A at all. Change one entry in the identity matrix so it does what you want.

This is where I am struggling...

I can not seem to find the term to change, and rather than guessing at a solution I want to be able to solve the problem as there is a part b also that will require the same methodology.

A|x> = <alpha| ... If i were to multiply both sides by the inverse of A, it would appear that |x> would be left and that would be my answer, is this correct? If so, it seems like solving the inverse of A would be painfully long. Do you agree, or can i simply just take its transpose?

I see my problem now I think...I was going A * M, not M * A...

If I want to change the second row, now all I have to do is manipulate the second term of the identity matrix to be 1/alpha.

When I reversed them, switching the second one was manipulating the columns...not the rows.

Thanks for your response!

What is an unknown operator in relation to matrices?

An unknown operator is a mathematical symbol or function that performs an action on a matrix. It is used to manipulate and transform matrices in various ways.

What are some examples of unknown operators used on matrices?

Examples of unknown operators on matrices include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponentiation. Other less common operators include taking the inverse or transpose of a matrix, finding the determinant, and performing matrix factorization.

What is the purpose of using an unknown operator on a matrix?

The purpose of using an unknown operator on a matrix is to transform the original matrix into a new matrix with different properties. This allows for mathematical operations and calculations to be performed more efficiently and accurately.

How do you determine the result of an unknown operator on a matrix?

The result of an unknown operator on a matrix is determined by following the rules and properties of that specific operator. For example, the result of adding two matrices is determined by adding the corresponding elements of each matrix together. The result of multiplying a matrix by a constant is determined by multiplying each element of the matrix by that constant.

Can unknown operators be used on any type of matrix?

Yes, unknown operators can be used on any type of matrix, including square matrices, rectangular matrices, and even non-numeric matrices such as matrices of variables or functions. However, the specific properties and results of the operator may vary depending on the type of matrix being used.