Program for Traces of Dirac matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Mathematica for calculating traces of Dirac matrices. The package FeynCalc is mentioned, but it is outdated and produces complicated and unreadable results. The issue of changing the metric is also brought up. There is a discussion on alternative methods for calculating traces, and links to useful resources are provided.
PJK
Hi all,

I want to calculate traces of Dirac matrices with a program like Mathematica.
I found the package FeynCalc but it seems to be outdated.
It is always producing results like this:
Code:
4 (-(DiracCanonical->False) (Factoring->False) (FeynCalcInternal->True) g^(mu nu) 

(InsideDiracTrace->True) k\[CenterDot]l-l^2 (DiracCanonical->False) (Factoring->False) 

(FeynCalcInternal->True) g^(mu nu) (InsideDiracTrace->True)+m^2 

(DiracCanonical->False) (Factoring->False) (FeynCalcInternal->True) g^(mu nu) 

(InsideDiracTrace->True)+k^nu l^mu (DiracCanonical->False) (Factoring->False) 

(FeynCalcInternal->True) (InsideDiracTrace->True)+k^mu l^nu (DiracCanonical->False) 

(Factoring->False) (FeynCalcInternal->True) (InsideDiracTrace->True)+2 l^mu l^nu 

(DiracCanonical->False) (Factoring->False) (FeynCalcInternal->True) 

(InsideDiracTrace->True))
Which is quite annoying. Even worse I want to use the metric (-1,1,1,1) and there seems to be no support for changing the metric.
Is there a better program/package for doing those calculations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently this was a difficult question. But maybe one year later someone has got an idea?
I have the same problem as the one described above.

I am not too(edit: At all) familiar with the Dirac matrices but following the discussion on

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DiracMatrices.html

What is wrong with using $Tr(A\otimes B) = Tr(A)Tr(B)$?

comote said:
I am not too(edit: At all) familiar with the Dirac matrices but following the discussion on

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DiracMatrices.html

What is wrong with using $Tr(A\otimes B) = Tr(A)Tr(B)$?

Thanks for your input. Of course it would be possible to implement all the Dirac algebra using the functions of Mathematica. That's what the people of FeynCalc did. But since it has already been done, I would rather use it, instead of redoing it myself. And FeynCalc DOES work; its output is just unreadable (as can be seen in the example above).

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the "Program for Traces of Dirac matrices"?

The "Program for Traces of Dirac matrices" is a computational tool used in theoretical physics to calculate traces of matrices in the Dirac algebra, which is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of elementary particles.

2. What is the significance of calculating traces of Dirac matrices?

Calculating traces of Dirac matrices is important in theoretical physics because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles and their interactions. This can help us better understand the fundamental laws of the universe.

3. How does the "Program for Traces of Dirac matrices" work?

The program uses algorithms and computational methods to simplify and calculate the complex expressions involved in the Dirac algebra. It takes in user input, such as the number of dimensions and the specific matrices involved, and outputs the trace value.

4. What are some practical applications of the "Program for Traces of Dirac matrices"?

The program is primarily used in theoretical physics research, but it also has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing, where understanding the behavior of particles is crucial for developing new technologies.

5. Are there any limitations to the "Program for Traces of Dirac matrices"?

Like any computational tool, the program has its limitations. It may not be able to handle extremely large or complex expressions, and the results may not be accurate in certain cases. It is important for scientists to carefully analyze and interpret the results obtained from the program.