Industrial Engineering undegrad to physics Grad

In summary: I want to do a physics degree, not industrial engineering.In summary, the author is 16 years old and is planning to choose a major in the next two years. He likes physics, but does not like industrial engineering. He is taking a Modern Physics course as Not Included to his Industrial Engineering program in order to decide if he wants to pursue a career in academia or go into physics.
crimsonidol
Hello everyone,
I am at my last year in Industrial Engineering. Last summer I decided to go for physics, since I do not like industrial engineering, also I do not want to work as egineer. I thought I do better if I am an academician. For that reason I am taking the Modern Physics course as Not Included to my programme so far. and next semester I will be taking at least 2 more courses. It will depend on my major program because I have to graduate first to get going on my way.

How diffucult it would be? I know it will be pretty diffucult. Because I did not take much math courses due to IE programme at least, and to be a good physician you have to know math well, very well actually.

however, how difficult it would be I decided to go that way, otherwise I would be living in hell, I suppose none of you want that. To be honest I want your advises. what courses I should catch up by studying. Which sources would be more useful for me. What should I do to get better and so on.

to give you a better idea about what I have learned here is my cirriculum: http://www.ie.metu.edu.tr/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=319&Itemid=93

For the ones who will ask me why to go Industrial Engineering instead of physics: I do not know the answer. those were the hard times for me. even though I wanted physics for a long time I chosed IE(damn me). Anyway past is past, I should look for future now.

Physics news on Phys.org
i REALLY need ur help!
i'm 16 ... livin' in Tehran and i go to NODET school(national organization for development of exceptional talents) and I'm about to choose my uni. major in the next 2 years!
and... i' thinkin' about I.E at time.PLZ help me out!i don't know a lot about it ... I'm afraid of making a wrong decesion!:-S

Last edited:
send me private message, I may help you as far as I know :)

crimsonidol said:
Hello everyone,
I am at my last year in Industrial Engineering. Last summer I decided to go for physics, since I do not like industrial engineering, also I do not want to work as egineer. I thought I do better if I am an academician. For that reason I am taking the Modern Physics course as Not Included to my programme so far. and next semester I will be taking at least 2 more courses. It will depend on my major program because I have to graduate first to get going on my way.

How diffucult it would be? I know it will be pretty diffucult. Because I did not take much math courses due to IE programme at least, and to be a good physician you have to know math well, very well actually.

however, how difficult it would be I decided to go that way, otherwise I would be living in hell, I suppose none of you want that. To be honest I want your advises. what courses I should catch up by studying. Which sources would be more useful for me. What should I do to get better and so on.

to give you a better idea about what I have learned here is my cirriculum: http://www.ie.metu.edu.tr/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=319&Itemid=93

For the ones who will ask me why to go Industrial Engineering instead of physics: I do not know the answer. those were the hard times for me. even though I wanted physics for a long time I chosed IE(damn me). Anyway past is past, I should look for future now.

Do you want to go into physics to get a job in academia, or because you really like physics? Because if your main goal is to work in academia you can do that as an IE.

But if you really want to go into physics, you should first decide what school you want to go to. An advisor from that department would be a good source of specific information. They may let you enroll in the program before you meet all requirements, with the understanding that you will make up your deficiencies quickly.

it's because I like physics. Before starting uni I wanted physics, but I am here.and yes I like it very much. When I am in modern phyics class, I am in like dream tryng to understand concepts, and etc:)
anyway, think I should do as you said, since they are the ones who accept me to the school.

1. What is the difference between Industrial Engineering and Physics?

Industrial Engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on optimizing complex systems, processes, and operations. Physics, on the other hand, is a natural science that studies matter, energy, and the interactions between them. While both fields involve problem-solving and analytical thinking, Industrial Engineering is more focused on practical applications while Physics is more theoretical in nature.

2. Can an undergraduate degree in Industrial Engineering lead to a graduate degree in Physics?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in Physics after completing an undergraduate degree in Industrial Engineering. However, some additional coursework in physics and mathematics may be required, and admission to a graduate program in Physics may be competitive.

3. What skills from Industrial Engineering can be applied to Physics?

Industrial Engineering students develop strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills that are applicable in Physics. They also have a solid foundation in mathematics and statistics, which are crucial in understanding and analyzing physical phenomena. Additionally, Industrial Engineering students often have experience with computer programming and data analysis, which are valuable skills in many areas of Physics.

4. Are there career opportunities for someone with a graduate degree in Physics and an undergraduate degree in Industrial Engineering?

Yes, having a diverse educational background in both Industrial Engineering and Physics can open up a variety of career opportunities. Graduates may find employment in industries such as technology, energy, aerospace, and defense, where their skills in problem-solving, data analysis, and optimization are in high demand.

5. How can an undergraduate degree in Industrial Engineering prepare someone for graduate studies in Physics?

An undergraduate degree in Industrial Engineering can provide a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in graduate studies in Physics. Additionally, Industrial Engineering students often have opportunities to participate in research projects and gain hands-on experience, which can be beneficial in preparing for graduate-level research in Physics.