Has any of you experienced the

• Thread starter gazzo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the "burnout" effect that can occur when studying too much math, and ways to combat it. Some suggestions include studying more efficiently and pacing oneself, as well as finding inspiration and taking breaks. Some individuals share personal experiences with math burnout and offer advice on how to cope with it. The conversation also briefly touches on the practical applications of calculus in everyday life.
gazzo
Has any of you experienced the "burnout" effect? from studying too much maths, suddenly you loose interest for a while, motivation to study drops.

How does one cure it =/

bah!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I know what you mean. To be frank, there really is no cure for burning out. What I would recommend is to study less by studying more efficiently. That way, you won't get burnt out as fast.

For example, if you pay attention in class and participate a lot, you won't have to read the book or review the notes at home (in fact, I only open my textbook for the homework problems). Also, try studying or doing homework with a studygroup. It makes the experience more fun (but not too much fun, otherwise you won't get any work done) and hence less likely to burnout.

Basically what Jin said. Just pace yourself. For me it's like getting back to the gym. The first few weeks you go every day and work out for hours on end, but then after a while you just stop going altogether. You need short, focused sessions in order to maintain interest.

hmmm thanks!

But learning entirely from the lessons is impossible when your teacher cannot teach the content well. My Six form college isn't the best and my applied mathematics teacher for the last year was terrible. Basically, those of us who wanted to pass taught ourselves the content via the book, assisting each other, past exam papers and the head of maths.

I'm going to try to get a job as a deckhand on a commercial salmon-fishing boat in January for a couple months. That should help me get away from same-old same-old. It's not so much that I'm burned out from math, I'm fed up with those cold-blooded, relentless fux in the university admin who won't stop screwing me around. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yeah... I'm going through it right now. This always happens when I start studying something boring, which, in this case, is linear interpolation and interval bisection.

Ugh...

gazzo said:
Has any of you experienced the "burnout" effect? from studying too much maths, suddenly you loose interest for a while, motivation to study drops.

How does one cure it =/

bah!

When I was in college, I first encountered math burnout when I hit honors analysis, which is junior level calculus. It kicked my ass. And I was faced with math burnout bigtime. I think just perseverance, breaks, and finding new math that IS exciting is how to beat it.

like everyone said before, just pace yourself when studying. i tried cramming my first year in college and it didnt get me far. then you always forget everything a week later anyways. I've suffered from burnout from my first calc class. it was seriously stressing me out, i would even have nightmares about problems that i couldn't solve. weird... :confused:

I remedy "math burnout" with inspiration. I remember I was a couple of days before a big calculus exam and I couldn't bring myself to study anymore. So I watched "A Beautiful Mind". All of a sudden I felt like I could write the whole textbook down - it was amazing. Also, reading about famous mathematicians and their achievements inspire me whenever I am burnt out. You should try it.

i think you were just being too hard on yourself. maybe your mind was too tired to absord anymore and started to play tricks on you, saying a lot of things like 'is it worth doing this to yourself ?' or 'why are you doing this'?. just relax. your mood was really low but everything will be alright when you wake up tomorrow.

Study something else. Instead of racking your brain doing mathematics read or study something not even related to the sciences or mathematics. My favorite thing is to read classic short american stories. This day in age people try to focus on one area too much, which is why they get burned out. Finding a renaissance man is very difficult these days.

FlatlineLemon said:
it was seriously stressing me out, i would even have nightmares about problems that i couldn't solve.

In my senior year in high school I took a required course called "Government and Free Enterprise." For some kids it was a favorite class, but I was more the math/science type, and I just did enough to get a passing 'C' out of it. One day I walked into class and the teacher had written two names on the chalkboard:

PAUL SHEARS
BILL JANITOR

I wondered what was up with that. When class started, the teacher pointed to the names on the board, one of which was mine, and said, "These two students have not yet turned in their projects. Remember, this is a big part of your final grade."

I got my project turned in a bit late, I passed the class, and I graduated high school. But once every two or three years I have a dream where it looks like I am going to have to explain to Ma and Pa that I won't be graduating because I failed Government class. :redface:

Is it possible to put calculus to practical use in everyday life to solve problems?
I mean if something we do serves a practical purpose it's more likely to be enjoyable.
One of the funniest things I've ever seen was a student who had been cramming mathematics for hours in the library suddenly stand up and proclaim he was in Hell. I'll bet this is a common feeling that most have wanted to do in that situation.

jammieg said:
Is it possible to put calculus to practical use in everyday life to solve problems?
I mean if something we do serves a practical purpose it's more likely to be enjoyable.
One of the funniest things I've ever seen was a student who had been cramming mathematics for hours in the library suddenly stand up and proclaim he was in Hell. I'll bet this is a common feeling that most have wanted to do in that situation.

unfortunately, i don't think many subjects are able to do that. :rofl:

1. Has any of you experienced the scientific method before?

Yes, as a scientist, the scientific method is a fundamental process we use to conduct experiments and gather data to test hypotheses and make conclusions.

2. Has any of you experienced a breakthrough discovery in your field?

As scientists, we are constantly working towards new discoveries and breakthroughs. While not every experiment leads to a groundbreaking discovery, we continue to make progress and contribute to our respective fields.

3. Has any of you experienced failure in your experiments?

Failure is a natural part of the scientific process. In fact, many scientific breakthroughs are the result of failed experiments. As scientists, we learn from our failures and use that knowledge to improve our methods and reach successful outcomes.

4. Has any of you experienced the peer-review process?

Yes, the peer-review process is an essential part of scientific research. After conducting experiments and writing up our findings, we submit our work to be reviewed and critiqued by other experts in the field. This helps to ensure the validity and quality of our research before it is published.

5. Has any of you experienced the use of technology in your experiments?

Technology plays a crucial role in modern scientific research. From advanced lab equipment to computer software for data analysis, technology allows us to conduct experiments and gather data more efficiently and accurately than ever before.