Do electric fields also generate smaller electric fields?

In summary, during a physics class, the teacher explained electric fields and stated that all charged objects generate them. However, the student then questioned if fields themselves were charged, which led to the understanding that fields can induce secondary fields through interactions with matter, but this does not mean that the fields themselves are charged. The student's mistake was assuming that the curved field lines in the diagram were repelling each other, when in fact, they were simply showing the direction of the field.
polaris12
*first time posting on here*

Hi, firstly I am a high school junior taking physics and I find it very interesting and plan to major in it. Now, today my teacher was explaining electric fields and said that all charged objects generate them around themselves. He then said that fields themselves were charged. After thinking about it, I realized that if this were true, then there should be electric fields made by other fields, ad infinitum. Firstly, is my reasoning correct, and secondly, if it is not, what was my mistake?

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
polaris12 said:
He then said that fields themselves were charged.
You need to ask him to clarify what he meant. Fields don't have charge.

he showed us a diagram where there was a positively charged rod near a negatively charged rod. he then drew field lines, and the ones on the outside were curved outward because they were repelling, according to him, which I assume means they have charge. Exactly where is the mistake in this reasoning?

polaris12 said:
he showed us a diagram where there was a positively charged rod near a negatively charged rod. he then drew field lines, and the ones on the outside were curved outward because they were repelling, according to him, which I assume means they have charge. Exactly where is the mistake in this reasoning?
The first mistake is the statement that the field lines are repelling each other. That seems an odd thing to say. I can see how that might lead you to conclude that fields have charge, if you think that only charges can repel.

Charges are surrounded by electric (and, if moving, magnetic) fields, but the fields themselves do not contain charges.

But, in a manner that you are not intending, the fields do generate secondary fields when they interact with matter. For example, if I induce an electric field across a dielectric, I cause polarization within the dielectric. That is, the molecules inside the dielectric become dipoles, the charges in the molecules shift slightly so that there is a local positive and local negative charge. This causes a secondary electric field and, when added to the original field that I induced, gives you the total field that you observe when you place the dielectric into the original field.

So fields can induce secondary fields, which induce tertiary fields, and so forth. Not because the fields are charged, but because any existing charges in the environment subjected to these fields respond to the fields and can create new fields.

1. How do electric fields generate smaller electric fields?

Electric fields are created by the presence of charged particles. When these charged particles are in motion, they create smaller electric fields around them. These smaller electric fields are known as induced electric fields.

2. What is the relationship between electric field strength and the generation of smaller electric fields?

The strength of an electric field is directly proportional to the generation of smaller electric fields. This means that a stronger electric field will create stronger induced electric fields around charged particles.

3. Do all electric fields generate smaller electric fields?

Yes, all electric fields have the potential to generate smaller electric fields. However, the strength and size of these induced electric fields may vary depending on the strength and properties of the original electric field.

4. How do smaller electric fields affect the overall electric field in a given space?

Smaller electric fields can either add to or cancel out the overall electric field in a given space. This depends on the direction and magnitude of the induced electric fields and the original electric field.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the concept of electric fields generating smaller electric fields?

Yes, this concept is used in various technologies such as electric motors and generators. The movement of charged particles in these devices generates smaller electric fields, which are essential for their functioning. Additionally, this concept is also important in understanding electromagnetic radiation and its effects on charged particles.