Polytropic Process Work & Heat Transfer Calculation

In summary: In order to solve this problem, you have to find the change in temperature. You do this using the relation:PV^{1.3} = \text{constant}You know the initial pressure and the ratio of initial to final volumes so you can easily find the final pressure and, from that, the final temperature.When you have found the final temperature, use \Delta U = nC_v\Delta T to determine the change in internal energy. Add that to the figure you found for work done by the gas (make sure you get the sign right) and that equals \Delta Q.
cowpuppy

Homework Statement

A pistol-cylinder device contains 0.8kg of nitrogen initially at 100kPa and 27 degrees C. The nitrogen is compressed in a polytropic process during which PV^1.3 = constant until the volume is reduced by one half. Determine the work done and the heat transfer for this process.

Homework Equations

[tex]
W = \int_{1}^{2} {P}dV
[/tex]

[tex]
W_{b} = \Delta U
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I already figured out the work done, but I can't figure out where the heat transfer comes from.

Physics news on Phys.org
cowpuppy said:

Homework Statement

A pistol-cylinder device contains 0.8kg of nitrogen initially at 100kPa and 27 degrees C. The nitrogen is compressed in a polytropic process during which PV^1.3 = constant until the volume is reduced by one half. Determine the work done and the heat transfer for this process.

Homework Equations

[tex]
W = \int_{1}^{2} {P}dV
[/tex]

[tex]
W_{b} = \Delta U[/tex]
You don't have to know where the heat transfer comes from. It is required in order to maintain the relation PV^1.3 = constant.

To find the heat transfer, apply the ideal gas law to find the change in the change in internal energy (hint: you have to find the change in temperature. It is not equal to the work done). Apply the first law to determine [itex]\Delta Q[/itex].

AM

Why is the change in internal energy not equal to the work done?

I'm also not sure how I can equate change in temperature to change in internal energy. The only relevant equation that we have covered so far is

[tex]
\Delta U = m C (T_{2} - T_{1})
[/tex]

But in all other cases, either volume or pressure has been constant. I don't know how to apply this for a system where nothing is constant.

Last edited:
cowpuppy said:
Why is the change in internal energy not equal to the work done?
The change in internal energy is only equal to the work done when there is no heat flow (dQ = 0). That means the process is adiabatic, which means that:

[tex]PV^\gamma = constant[/tex]

But [itex]\gamma = 1.4[/itex] for a diatomic molecule, not 1.3. So we know that this is not adiabatic.

I'm also not sure how I can equate change in temperature to change in internal energy. The only relevant equation that we have covered so far is

[tex]
\Delta U = m C (T_{2} - T_{1})
[/tex]
That is correct where C is the gas heat capacity at constant volume. This does not mean the process has to be constant volume. It just tells you what the change in internal energy during the process is. If volume changes, there will be work done as well.

But in all other cases, either volume or pressure has been constant. I don't know how to apply this for a system where nothing is constant.

Substitute nRT/V for P in [itex]PV^{1.3} = k[/itex] to work out the change T.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
That is correct where C is the gas heat capacity at constant volume. This does not mean the process has to be constant volume. It just tells you what the change in internal energy during the process is. If volume changes, there will be work done as well.

I'm not quite understanding what I should conclude from this. There is heat transfer independent of the work of the piston? So,

[tex]
Q - W_b = \Delta U
[/tex]

Can Q be calculated assuming volume is constant, since the change in internal energy is already accounted for in the work term?

cowpuppy said:
I'm not quite understanding what I should conclude from this. There is heat transfer independent of the work of the piston?
Yes. If the cylinder is not perfectly insulated, heat can flow into or out of the cylinder. In this case it flows out of the cylinder.
[tex]
Q - W_b = \Delta U
[/tex]

Can Q be calculated assuming volume is constant, since the change in internal energy is already accounted for in the work term?
The internal energy change is NOT equal to the work done. This is only the case if the process is adiabatic, which this is not.

In order to solve this problem, you have to find the change in temperature. You do this using the relation:

[tex]PV^{1.3} = \text{constant}[/tex]

You know the initial pressure and the ratio of initial to final volumes so you can easily find the final pressure and, from that, the final temperature.

When you have found the final temperature, use [itex]\Delta U = nC_v\Delta T[/itex] to determine the change in internal energy. Add that to the figure you found for work done by the gas (make sure you get the sign right) and that equals [itex]\Delta Q[/itex].

AM

Last edited:

1. What is a polytropic process?

A polytropic process is a type of thermodynamic process in which the relationship between pressure and volume can be expressed by the equation P*V^n = constant, where n is a constant. This type of process is often used to describe the expansion or compression of a gas.

2. How is work calculated in a polytropic process?

The work done in a polytropic process can be calculated using the equation W = (P2*V2 - P1*V1)/(1-n), where P1 and V1 represent the initial pressure and volume, and P2 and V2 represent the final pressure and volume. This equation is based on the area under the curve on a P-V diagram.

3. What is heat transfer in a polytropic process?

Heat transfer in a polytropic process refers to the transfer of thermal energy between a system and its surroundings. In a polytropic process, heat transfer can occur due to changes in temperature, pressure, or volume.

4. How is heat transfer calculated in a polytropic process?

The heat transfer in a polytropic process can be calculated using the equation Q = m*Cp*(T2-T1), where m is the mass of the gas, Cp is the specific heat capacity at constant pressure, and T1 and T2 represent the initial and final temperatures, respectively.

5. What are some real-world applications of polytropic processes?

Polytropic processes have many real-world applications, including in internal combustion engines, refrigeration systems, and gas turbines. They are also commonly used in the study of thermodynamics and in the design of industrial processes.