Conceptual question on black bodies

In summary, the difference in behavior of a red hot piece of metal and a piece of quartz at 1100K can be explained by the availability of free electrons in the metal causing it to absorb and dissipate energy, while the tightly bound electrons in quartz cause it to be transparent and re-emit absorbed energy. Quartz also has a resonance phenomenon that blocks certain frequencies, contributing to its transparency.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A piece of metal turns red when at 1100K while a piece of quartz doesn't "shine" (i.e. emits in the visible range I guess) at this temperature. Explain this phenomenon knowing that quartz is transparent to visible light.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

This question blows my mind. A first reaction would be to say that the quartz doesn't behaves like a black body since it doesn't absorbs (in the sense of a black body) visible light. This is however totally false in the sense that ice is also transparent and has an emissivity of 0.97 which is almost a black body (in fact I guess it absorbs any other light with different frequencies than light in the visible spectra).
Also I don't know the theory of transparent materials. I know they absorbs light and then re emit it with the same wavelength and a perfectly transparent wouldn't absorb any photon (so a white body?), however it wouldn't reflect either, or few.
I'm just clueless. If you have any idea, feel free to share.

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably the availability of the free electrons is the reason of red hot metal. When the photons fall on the metal, the electrons absorb them. Since the electrons are free to move, this energy is dissipated in the metal, increasing its temperature. In the quartz, the electrons are tightly bound. So the energy absorbed by them is mostly re emitted. It is the cause of transparency. Quartz has a resonance phenomenon due to which it blocks certain frequencies.

Likes madhusoodan

1. What is a black body?

A black body is an ideal object that absorbs all radiation that falls on it, reflecting none. This means that it appears completely black to the human eye. It is also a perfect emitter of thermal radiation, meaning it emits radiation at all wavelengths.

2. Why are black bodies important in science?

Black bodies are important in science because they serve as a theoretical model for understanding the emission and absorption of radiation by all objects. They also help in understanding various physical phenomena, such as the greenhouse effect and the behavior of stars.

3. Do black bodies only emit and absorb black light?

No, black bodies emit and absorb radiation at all wavelengths, not just black light. However, black bodies do not reflect any radiation, so they appear black to the human eye.

4. How do black bodies relate to thermal radiation?

Black bodies are often used as a theoretical model for thermal radiation because they are perfect emitters of radiation at all wavelengths. This means that they emit thermal radiation at a specific rate, which is determined by their temperature, according to the Stefan-Boltzmann law.

5. Can real objects be considered black bodies?

No, real objects cannot be considered perfect black bodies because they do not absorb all radiation that falls on them and may also reflect some radiation. However, certain materials, such as carbon nanotubes, can come close to behaving like black bodies and are often used in scientific research.