Can dropping an aerosol can make it explode?

• Thread starter hammertime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aerosol
In summary: Dropping an aerosol can can indeed make it explode provided you have dropped it into a campfire or something similar.
hammertime
As I was going through my closet, a can of silly string dropped from one of the highest shelves. It hit the ledge of one of the other shelves quite hard before landing on the carpet.

This can has standard warnings for aerosol cans written on it: "Don't store at 120 degrees plus", etc. My dad tested it out and it worked fine even after the drop.

Is there any risk of this can exploding if it's used? If I put it back and don't touch it again for another few weeks, will there still be any risk?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. It might have a dent, it might be weakened at a seal.

However, I'm not sure how much pressure there is in a can of silly string. I suspect not a lot.

Dropping an aerosol can can indeed make it explode provided you have dropped it into a campfire or something similar. :smile:

If it didn't explode when dropped, using it later won't make it explode, it'll relieve the pressure inside it and move it away from any possible danger.

When i was a kid i hit a spray paint can with an axe in the garage, and it violently shot paint all over including the ceiling, All tho it didn't really peel the metal back from where i made the incision it just shot it from the cut i made. It would take a decent force to rupture the metal can.

russ_watters said:
If it didn't explode when dropped, using it later won't make it explode,
Uh, presuming one handles it with kid gloves...

A jostle could be enough to do it. I've seen pop cans get dented at the store, then spontaneously fail an hour later once they got home.

Sure, it's unlikely, but the OP is obviously worried about it, and I presume he'll want to err on the side of caution.

1. Can dropping an aerosol can make it explode?

Yes, dropping an aerosol can can potentially cause it to explode. This is because the sudden impact can cause the contents of the can to mix and react, creating pressure that can lead to an explosion.

2. What happens when an aerosol can is dropped?

When an aerosol can is dropped, the sudden impact can cause the contents inside to mix and react. This reaction can create pressure and potentially cause the can to explode.

3. Is it dangerous to drop an aerosol can?

Yes, it can be dangerous to drop an aerosol can. As mentioned before, the sudden impact can cause the contents to mix and react, potentially leading to an explosion. Additionally, the explosion can also release harmful chemicals or fragments of the can which can cause injury.

4. Can temperature affect the likelihood of an aerosol can exploding when dropped?

Yes, temperature can play a role in the likelihood of an aerosol can exploding when dropped. High temperatures can increase the pressure inside the can, making it more likely to explode upon impact. It is important to store aerosol cans in a cool and dry place to reduce this risk.

5. What should I do if I accidentally drop an aerosol can?

If you accidentally drop an aerosol can, it is important to handle it with caution. Do not pick it up immediately, and instead, allow it to sit for a few minutes to let any potential pressure subside. If the can is visibly damaged or leaking, do not pick it up at all and contact the manufacturer for proper disposal instructions.