Magnetization in Classical EM: Bound Electric vs. Magnetic Charges

In summary, bound magnetic charges allow one to describe magnetization using local terms, while electric currents allow one to describe magnetization using global terms.
dgOnPhys
I have been trying to remember if in classical EM it is equivalent to describe magnetization through bound electric currents
A. [itex]\vec{j_b} = \nabla \times \vec M[/itex]
[itex]\vec{k_b} = \vec M \times \vec{\hat{n}}[/itex]
OR bound magnetic charges
B. [itex]\rho_b = -\nabla \cdot \vec M[/itex]
[itex]\sigma_b = \vec M \cdot \vec{\hat{n}}[/itex]

The topic originated https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=447805", there someone already suggested this is not valid inside matter but I am still not seeing it. From what I recall once bound sources are introduced (in place of matter) one can replace magnetization and polarization in Maxwell equations and boundary conditions and solve, right? What am I missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I did not see this explicitly, but I think the important point is the assumption that the magnetization is due to bound currents only. The important point is what precisely you understand under bound charges.
I think this is equivalent to assuming that the relation between B and M is local.
The important point is that your two systems of equations state that the system can be equivalently be described knowing either only the longitudinal part or the transversal part of the magnetization. Hence you need some equation which links the two.

They are alternate ways of doing the same thing.
The (fictitious) magnetic charge is easier, which is why it is intorduced.

So it works for both internal and external field, right?

anybody?

what is the field due to bound magnetic charges of an arbitrarily long uniformly magnetized bar magnet?
is it not arbitrarily small everywhere (except at the very ends)?​

what is the field of the same bar magnet due to bound electric currents?
is it not uniform inside the bar magnet and arbitrarily small everywhere else (except at the very ends)?​

Last edited:

dgOnPhys said:
anybody?

I thought I said right.

1. What is magnetization in classical electromagnetism?

Magnetization in classical electromagnetism refers to the process of aligning the magnetic dipoles of a material in a particular direction when exposed to an external magnetic field. This results in the material becoming magnetized, meaning it can attract or repel other magnetic materials.

2. What is the difference between bound electric and magnetic charges?

Bound electric charges refer to the accumulation of electric charges on the surface of a material due to the alignment of dipoles in response to an external electric field. On the other hand, bound magnetic charges refer to the accumulation of magnetic charges on the surface of a material due to the alignment of dipoles in response to an external magnetic field.

3. How is magnetization related to magnetic moments?

Magnetization is directly related to magnetic moments, which are the measure of a material's ability to become magnetized in the presence of a magnetic field. The higher the magnetic moment, the stronger the material's magnetization will be.

4. Can a material have both bound electric and magnetic charges?

Yes, a material can have both bound electric and magnetic charges. This is known as a magnetic dipole, where the alignment of both electric and magnetic dipoles creates a dipole moment that results in the material exhibiting both electric and magnetic properties.

5. How is magnetization in classical electromagnetism different from quantum mechanics?

In classical electromagnetism, magnetization is explained through the alignment of dipoles in response to an external magnetic field. In quantum mechanics, magnetism is explained through the spin of electrons, which can be in an "up" or "down" state, resulting in the material exhibiting magnetic properties. Additionally, classical electromagnetism only considers macroscopic materials, while quantum mechanics can explain the behavior of materials at the atomic and subatomic level.