Should I Add Diagonal Bracing to My Structural Steel Frame Design?

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on whether to add equal angle bars to a steel frame design or leave it as beam, column, and footing. The design is for a simple steel frame to resist a dead and live load, without considering beam-column continuity. The selected components for the frame are a 700 WB 130 beam, a 200 UC 46.2 column, and a bolted connection using 6 x 8.8/S Bolts connected via a standard 12mm beam column plate. The speaker is short on time and unable to ask the teacher for clarification. They express frustration with instructors who assign simple design exercises that are not practical.
benl87
Hi there,

I've got an assignment due today and as usual have left finishing it off until the last minute. I've completed most of it but I thought I'd try and get an opinion on something.

Homework Statement

Basically our teacher has asked us for a very simple steel frame (beam, column, footing) to resist a dead and live load. He didn't want us to bother with beam-column continuity and said we could just design the column to take an axial load (half weight of beam and imposed loads) and design the bolted connection and a reinforced concrete footing. I was wondering though because I'm out of time to ask him about it should I design equal angle bars to run diagonally across the frame to provide more stability or just leave it as beam, column and footing. I know it would be best to ask him about it but I have as I said run out of time. Thanks heaps if someone could help me out.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Beam selected: 700 WB 130
Column selected: 200 UC 46.2
Bolted connection: 6 x 8.8/S Bolts connected via a standard 12mm beam column plate.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bit late now, but I dread instructors who set simple design exercises that should never be built. Yes, in practice, you should think about how stability is to be maintained, but if you just accept it as a learning exercise and never build it, you will be ok.

Likes Gregorydas

1. What is a structural steel frame?

A structural steel frame is a type of construction system that uses a framework of steel beams and columns to support the weight of a building. This method is commonly used in commercial and industrial buildings.

2. What are the advantages of using a structural steel frame?

There are several advantages to using a structural steel frame, including its strength, durability, and versatility. Steel is a strong and resilient material that can withstand high levels of stress, making it ideal for supporting large and complex structures. Additionally, steel frames are resistant to fire, corrosion, and pests, making them a long-lasting and low-maintenance option for construction.

3. How is a structural steel frame constructed?

A structural steel frame is constructed by first fabricating steel beams and columns according to specific design requirements. These components are then transported to the construction site and assembled using various methods such as welding, bolting, or riveting. The frame is then secured to the foundation and additional elements, such as floors and walls, are added to complete the building.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a structural steel frame?

When designing a structural steel frame, factors such as the building's intended use, size, and location should be taken into account. The type of steel to be used, as well as the design of the connections between beams and columns, should also be carefully considered to ensure the frame can withstand the expected loads and stresses.

5. Are there any limitations to using a structural steel frame?

While structural steel frames have many advantages, there are some limitations to consider. Steel frames can be more expensive than other construction methods, and they require specialized labor and equipment for assembly. Additionally, the weight of steel may limit its use in certain locations or on weak or unstable ground. It is important to carefully evaluate the specific needs of a project before deciding on a steel frame as the construction method.