Question on Q of a quarter wave transformer using lossy transmission line.

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses a discrepancy in the calculation of the Q factor in a lossy transmission line from a specific book. The person raising the issue has found evidence that the equation given in the book is incorrect and has sought assistance from others to verify their findings. They have also reached out to the author or publisher for clarification. As scientists, it is important to question and verify information, and this conversation serves as a reminder of that.
yungman
I don't know whether this is the right place, should actually belong to EE but my experience is you really don't get a lot of help in EM over there because I notice there is only one or two people that attempted answer these.

This is regarding to finding the Q factor of a lossy tx line using as a quarter wave transformer. This is from "Field and Wave, Electromagnetics" by David Cheng 2nd edition, page 458.

In the book, it assume center frequency [itex] f_0[/itex] and frequency very close to the center frequency [itex] f_0 +\delta f [/itex]. So for the frequency very close to [itex] f_0,\;\; f= f_0 +\delta f [/itex], :

[tex] \beta l = \frac {2 \pi f}{v_p} l = \frac {2\pi ( f_0 + \delta f )} {v_p} l \;=\; \frac {n\pi}{2} + \frac {n\pi}{2} (\frac{\delta f}{f_0}) \;\;\hbox { where }\;n= 1,3,5...[/tex]

I don't agree with the book. From the link below, I proofed that the result change sign with different n. Please refer to the link below. The book gave:

[tex]cos \beta l = - sin [\frac{n\pi}{2}(\frac{\delta f}{f_0})] [/tex]

It should be:

[tex]cos \beta l = ^-_+ sin [\frac{n\pi}{2}(\frac{\delta f}{f_0})] [/tex]

Where -ve for n = 1,5,9... and +ve for n=3,7,11...

I actually posted in the calculus section to verify the trigonometry part:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=475029

So my math part is correct. I cannot agree that the answer do not change sign. I have not been able to find another book I have that go so deep into working on Q factor in lossy lines. They are assume lossless line and skip this whole section. Please help.

Thanks

Alan

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Alan,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. it is important to question and verify the information presented in textbooks and other sources. After reviewing your post and the link provided, I agree with your findings that the result for the Q factor in the book does not change sign with different n values.

While I am not familiar with the specific book and section you are referring to, I would suggest reaching out to the author or the publisher to bring this discrepancy to their attention. It is possible that there may have been a mistake in the printing or editing process.

In the meantime, I would recommend consulting other sources or seeking out additional assistance from experts in the field to confirm the correct equation for the Q factor in this scenario.

As scientists, it is important to always question and verify information, and I applaud your efforts in doing so. I hope this helps in your research and understanding of this topic.

1. What is a quarter wave transformer?

A quarter wave transformer is a type of transmission line that is used to match the impedance of a load to the impedance of a source. It consists of a quarter wavelength section of transmission line with a characteristic impedance that is between the source and load impedances.

2. How does a quarter wave transformer work?

A quarter wave transformer works by using the principle of reflection and transmission of electromagnetic waves. The quarter wavelength section of transmission line acts as an impedance transformer, matching the load impedance to the source impedance by controlling the amount of reflected energy.

3. What is the significance of using a lossy transmission line in a quarter wave transformer?

A lossy transmission line is used in a quarter wave transformer to decrease the amount of reflected energy and ensure a better match between the source and load impedances. This helps to minimize signal loss and improve the overall performance of the transformer.

4. How is the Q value of a quarter wave transformer calculated?

The Q value of a quarter wave transformer can be calculated by dividing the characteristic impedance of the transmission line by the load impedance. A higher Q value indicates a better match between the source and load impedances and a more efficient transformer.

5. What are the applications of a quarter wave transformer?

A quarter wave transformer is commonly used in microwave circuits and antennas, as well as in audio and radio frequency circuits. It is also used in impedance matching networks for power amplifiers and in tuning circuits for filters and oscillators.