Japan Earthquake: Nuclear Plants at Fukushima Daiichi

In summary: RCIC consists of a series of pumps, valves, and manifolds that allow coolant to be circulated around the reactor pressure vessel in the event of a loss of the main feedwater supply.In summary, the earthquake and tsunami may have caused a loss of coolant at the Fukushima Daiichi NPP, which could lead to a meltdown. The system for cooling the reactor core is designed to kick in in the event of a loss of feedwater, and fortunately this appears not to have happened yet.
  • #9,311
NUCENG said:
They were spraying containment to condense any steam there and reduce containment pressure. With no power available they were probably using the fire fighting system to do this.

I see no data in support of that. No reduction of containment pressure was observed between the time PCV spraying is said to have been initiated (7:39 on March 13th ), and the time of the announcement that PCV spraying had been canceled (9:00 on March 13th).

Engineering news on Phys.org
  • #9,313
robinson said:
Where in the plant did that plutonium come from? How did it get there?

As I indicated in post #9238 the plutonium almost certainly came from the SFP of the #3 unit.

We can know it came from unit 3 because that was the only unit using MOX fuel (which has some plutonium in it.) It appears that the most likely way it "got there" was as a result of the explosion on March 14 which created the "mushroom cloud" that ejected material 300 to 500 meters high.

All evidence suggests that the vertical part of the #3 explosion originated in the SFP, not the containment structure, hence the source for the plutonium would be the SFP.

There my be a slim possibility that the plutonium came from reactors one or two as spent reactor fuel does contain traces of plutonium which is created as a byproduct of fission. But the explosion at unit 3 on March 14th offers a much more likely Scenario.

• #9,314
Quim said:
As I indicated in post #9238 the plutonium almost certainly came from the SFP of the #3 unit.

We can know it came from unit 3 because that was the only unit using MOX fuel (which has some plutonium in it.) It appears that the most likely way it "got there" was as a result of the explosion on March 14 which created the "mushroom cloud" that ejected material 300 to 500 meters high.

All evidence suggests that the vertical part of the #3 explosion originated in the SFP, not the containment structure, hence the source for the plutonium would be the SFP.

There my be a slim possibility that the plutonium came from reactors one or two as spent reactor fuel does contain traces of plutonium which is created as a byproduct of fission. But the explosion at unit 3 on March 14th offers a much more likely Scenario.

With all respect, that theory seems to me intensely implausible.
The explosion in reactor 3 was a coarse detonation, leaving huge chunks of stuff flying through the air.
Had it tossed out bits of the fuel from the SPF, one would expect fuel rod assemblies among the debris, not microscopic traces so minute that it takes effort to distinguish them from bomb test fallout.
Imho, the scenario of vapor leaks from the molten fuel in reactor 1 fits the data much better.

• #9,315
artax said:
Yes... a very telling pointer as to how they're still battling, and haven't had the time to really think ahead. It's been out of the main news for a good while but something will give.
So three reactors have melted through the 6inch thick steel pressure vessels. and corium is all over the place... if they've not had good scientists they've certainly had good PR people to get that news out so late and so inconspicuously!

:rofl:

• #9,316
search that 'govt report to iaea' for 'wet well vent' .

looks like there were several opportunities for small amounts of crumbly stuff from inside reactor to make it out via SRV's and containment vents..

infamous 'neutrons at the gate' were noticed about that time.

personally i think there was some rowdiness inside the vessels around times of seawater injection and venting.

• #9,317
tsutsuji said:
Here are the number of pages of the Japanese language pdfs available at http://www.kantei.go.jp/jp/topics/2011/iaea_houkokusho.html :

001 pages 00-0-hyoushi.pdf
So I find a total of 714 pages (and 66.8 MB file size)

Ah, 381 pages of appendixes in the Japanese version of the report. Thanks tsutsuji-san. I will keep an eye out for the English version of the appendixes. They are not listed yet on the Prime Minister's website http://www.kantei.go.jp/foreign/kan/topics/201106/iaea_houkokusho_e.html

• #9,318
Wait, what ? Unit 5 is at atmospheric pressure, there was info that RPV was open to refueling but look what I found in report:
On the day of the earthquake, RPV pressure leakage tests had been conducted with fuel being loaded in the reactor.
But how much fuel ? all ?
In the reactor, the pressure had increased to 7.2 MPa because of the pressure leakage test; however, the equipment that had been applying pressure on the reactor pump halted because of the loss of power supply, leading to a temporary pressure drop. Then, the decay heat caused the pressure to moderately increase, resulting in a pressure of around 8 MPa. At 6:06 on March 12, pressure reduction was performed on the RPV, but the pressure continued to increase moderately because of the decay heat.
On March 13, water was successfully injected into the reactor using the condensate transfer pump at Unit 5, which received power from the emergency DG at Unit 6. Accordingly, after 5:00 on March 14, the reactor pressure and the water level were controlled by reducing pressure with the SRV and repeatedly refilling the reactor with water from the condensate storage tank through the condensate transfer pump in parallel.
Dont understand this, so there was no water in reactor after earthquake ?
How they reduced RPV pressure ?

• #9,319
elektrownik said:
In case of spraying water on reactor 3, but not on sfp look on this video which is from march 18: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8Tds5d-ApU&feature=player_detailpage#t=71s

The problem with trying to make the case that they were targeting something other than the fuel pool in that video, is that the very real possibility exists that they were trying to target the pool but were struggling. Certainly spraying into the pools did not seem to be done with ease until the long-armed concrete pumping equipment was used. And there are moments in that video where it seems clear we are witnessing them struggling to reach their target.

But I do concede that there could be other moments where they are deliberately targeting area other than fuel pool. And I think there is another video that was posted to this thread in the past that shows them spraying from yet another position and angle on another date, where the target of their spraying is rather unclear. We know that the sort of water injection they desperately wanted to achieve did not come until around march 24th if memory serves me correctly, so in theory they might have been trying even more desperate stuff in the interim, I find it hard to judge.

• #9,320
All spent fuel rods contain plutonium. The amounts in the stored fuel ponds should dwarf the small amount in the MOX fuel.

• #9,321
robinson said:
All spent fuel rods contain plutonium. The amounts in the stored fuel ponds should dwarf the small amount in the MOX fuel.

Yep. Compare Astronucs posts here and here.

• #9,322
jim hardy said:
search that 'govt report to iaea' for 'wet well vent' .

looks like there were several opportunities for small amounts of crumbly stuff from inside reactor to make it out via SRV's and containment vents..

infamous 'neutrons at the gate' were noticed about that time.

personally i think there was some rowdiness inside the vessels around times of seawater injection and venting.

Let's also not forget the NRC report from 26 March http://cryptome.org/0003/daiichi-assess.pdf which said
... fuel may have been ejected from the pool (based on information from TEPCO of neutron sources found up to 1 mile from the units ...
I would have expected the Japanese Govt report to the IAEA to have mentioned that finding, but there is nothing in there about it. I'm wondering now if the information someone at TEPCO conveyed to the NRC team was erroneous, or the report neglected to mention it, or maybe it's in there but I just missed it.

• #9,323
tonio said:
Well, I happen to be a geologist, specialized in soil and groundwater contamination. I am sure that the geology and geohydrology of the site are known, in order to be able to design the foundations of the plant and in order to design the groundwater withdrawal system, necessary to keep the basements of the plant dry (I understood that such a system exists).

I have added a simple sketch of what seems to me the most likely situation of the Fukushima plant. I assume the following, based on what I see at Google Earth:
- the plant has been built on a platform, partly excavated into the slope and partly situated on a layer of rubble, bulldozed into the sea.
- the general direction of ground water flow is perpendicular towards the sea;
- at the foot of the slope there is probably some kind of drainage ditch which collects both surface runoff and ground water coming from higher grounds;
- the whole platform is probably paved with concrete of asphalt and provided with a rainwater drainage system;
- the rain water and ground water collected in the drainage ditch and the drainage system is led into the sea.

Based on the above:
- contaminated surface runoff will probably be directly discharged into the sea unless this water is intercepted and collected somewhere (which is not the case afaik);
- contaminated surface runoff may leak into the ground in case of damaged pavements and/or drainage pipes;
- contaminated water in the reactor buildings may leak into the ground in case of damaged walls/floors/underground pipes, etc.

The time it takes for the contaminated ground water to reach the sea depends on the permeability of the ground (which may consist of bedrock, rubble and possible also weathered bedrock (soil)), on the slope of the groundwater table towards the sea and on the chemical behavior of the radioactive substances.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a LOT! I am no expert but own a house in a similar location and had to become familiar with groundwater flows and contamination. I couldn't imagine any possible way that there were not active paths from the basements to the Ocean after the earthquake activity they had...

• #9,324
ascot317 said:
Cryptome.org posted some Japanese pdfs about the construction of Fukushima Daiichi.

It looks like there is information about the underground rock layers in it.

http://cryptome.org/0004/daiichi-build-01.pdf
http://cryptome.org/0004/daiichi-build-02.pdf

First found by rowmag here early this morning
rowmag said:
Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but you can download a paper on TEPCO's civil engineering for the site, which was submitted to a civil engineering journal in 1967, from here:
http://www.doboku-g.com/DownloadPDF.aspx?TocID=6608

You will have to provide a mail address twice (and not an obviously free mail address), and check a box agreeing to let the journal send you notices now and then, click on the button in the lower right, and then you will be mailed a URL from which to download the PDF file.

He posted a similar link for the second one a short time later. Those documents are obscure enough to make it highly unlikely that cryptome and rowmag found them within a few hours of each other out of sheer coincidence. Just sayin'.

Edit: Cryptome's source for the docs confirmed on next page. Good job, zapperzero.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #9,325
etudiant said:
The explosion in reactor 3 was a coarse detonation,
What do you mean by that?

etudiant said:
leaving huge chunks of stuff flying through the air.
There were large chunks, medium sized chunks, small pieces and microscopic pieces (for example: very fine particles made the "cloud" dark brown.)

etudiant said:
Had it tossed out bits of the fuel from the SPF, one would expect fuel rod assemblies among the debris, not microscopic traces so minute that it takes effort to distinguish them from bomb test fallout.
A fuel rod assembly would never have made it out of the pool in one piece, or even in large pieces - and had individual pellets made it out in one piece we wouldn't expect them to have drifted 1.7 kilometers away. The bigger pieces of the #3 explosion would have landed close to #3.

Plutonium in fuel rods is not in pellet sized chunks anyway. It would be blended in with the U to make the pellets (Pu only accounts for 6% of the active material in a rod.) So it would only exist in trace quantities at anyone spot even in a brand new rod.

Also we have no idea how much material was ejected from the #3 SFP. When we learn more about the energy source that produced that vertical detonation we may also find that most of the material from the fuel rods are still in the pool.

etudiant said:
Imho, the scenario of vapor leaks from the molten fuel in reactor 1 fits the data much better.

How would you account for Pu traveling 2 km from the rest of the corium?
Pu is not soluble, it is not as easily dispersed as cesium and Iodine.

• #9,326
Quim said:
What do you mean by that?

There were large chunks, medium sized chunks, small pieces and microscopic pieces (for example: very fine particles made the "cloud" dark brown.)

A fuel rod assembly would never have made it out of the pool in one piece, or even in large pieces - and had individual pellets made it out in one piece we wouldn't expect them to have drifted 1.7 kilometers away. The bigger pieces of the #3 explosion would have landed close to #3.

Plutonium in fuel rods is not in pellet sized chunks anyway. It would be blended in with the U to make the pellets (Pu only accounts for 6% of the active material in a rod.) So it would only exist in trace quantities at anyone spot even in a brand new rod.

Also we have no idea how much material was ejected from the #3 SFP. When we learn more about the energy source that produced that vertical detonation we may also find that most of the material from the fuel rods are still in the pool.

How would you account for Pu traveling 2 km from the rest of the corium?
Pu is not soluble, it is not as easily dispersed as cesium and Iodine.

Exactly, you put your finger on the key issue.
Afaik, minuscule flecks of plutonium have been discovered up to 2km from the plant, not bigger pieces or fuel debris. That suggests to me emissions of vaporized fuel, probably through some circuitous route, because the amounts are so small. It may indicate much higher than expected contamination inside parts of the reactor building as well. But it is inconsistent with an explosion, because there would be a spectrum of debris, which does not seem to be the case here.

• #9,327
MiceAndMen said:
Let's also not forget the NRC report from 26 March http://cryptome.org/0003/daiichi-assess.pdf which said
I would have expected the Japanese Govt report to the IAEA to have mentioned that finding, but there is nothing in there about it. I'm wondering now if the information someone at TEPCO conveyed to the NRC team was erroneous, or the report neglected to mention it, or maybe it's in there but I just missed it.

Just for clarification. Safety Relief Valves (SRVs) vent from the reactor pressure vessel (RPV) to quenchers below the water line in the torus. This below water discharge helps scrub particulates and ions before it gets into the suppression chamber air space. Operation of the wetwell vent releases steam and non-condensible gasesw and small amounts of aerosols through the stack elevated release point. Release of heavy metals or chunks of fuel via this path is less than credible.

The only confirmed reports of Plutonium found so far have been at extremely low levels that could be leftover from the Fat Man bomb dropped on Nagasaki or from other atmospheric testing of plutonium weapons. The initial NRC speculation of fuel being bulldozed under kilometers from the site have not been confirmed to my knowledge. As reliable as early reports were, this could have easily been due to hotspots contaminatred by cesium or other fission products in fallout. If there is more information about that early report, please post that data.

• #9,328
Bioengineer01 said:
Completely agree, the question I have is, whether anybody in the forum knows if it is true that this is something that TEPCO could be measuring to understand if the Corium is in the ground. And I know that we can't know if they are doing it or not, I am just curious if you think that this is something that could be done if they wanted to: "There are sensitive sensors all around the grounds listening for underground activity, as well as satellite based imagery used to locate bunkers and tunnels that can image the ground density. 1300C material generates pressure underground that alters the density of the ground, and these changes can be detected and visualized"

There are several papers on the web that describe how the ablation of concrete by corium depends heavily on the type of concrete. For limestone concrete the ablation is isotropic, while for silica concrete the ablation is anisotropic.

http://journals1.scholarsportal.info/details.xqy?uri=/03064549/unassigned/nfp_tioocwctvvts.xml

There are other papers you can find using google. Some are recent, some not so recent. A quick glance at them suggests that it would definitely be possible to detect if concrete ablation was occurring assuming, of course, you had working sensors nearby. Another reason to start preparations for probing inside the PCVs.

• #9,329
What did you expect?
From Asahi Shinbun (12:00AM JST 6/9/2011):
...最も多かったのは浪江町赤宇木で、それぞれ250ベクレルと1500ベクレル。北西部に36キロ離れた飯舘村では120ベクレルと1100ベクレルで、 これまでに20キロ圏内で検出されていた値よりも高かった。ほかに田村市、広野町、川内村、南相馬市、二本松市でもストロンチウムが検出された。文科省は 採取した土壌をさらに細かく分析するという。

The highest numbers come from the Akogi district in Namie-machi, with 250 becquerels/kg strontium-90 and 1,500 becquerels/kg strontium-89. In Iitate-mura, 36 kilometers northwest of the plant, 120 becquerels/kg strontium-90 and 1,100 becquerels/kg strontium-89 were detected; these amounts were even higher than those that had been detected earlier within 20 kilometer radius from the plant. Radioactive strontium was also detected from the soil samples from Tamura City, Hirono-machi, Kawauchi-mura, Minami-Soma City, Nihonmatsu City. The Ministry of Education and Science will further analyze the soil samples.

放射性ストロンチウムはセシウムに比べ、炉心がより高温になってから溶け出し、気化する。それが検出されたことは、炉心が早い段階で溶け出し、その後に放射能の放出につながったことを意味するとみられる。

Radioactive strontium melts at a higher temperature than cesium to be volatilized. The fact that strontium has been detected would mean that the reactor core started to melt from the early stage of the accident, and then radioactive materials were released...

@ http://ex-skf.blogspot.com/2011/06/now-they-tell-us-series-strontium-was.html" he comments:
Non-government, non-experts like the rest of the Japanese already suspected it from long ago, particularly when they knew that strontium, plutonium, uranium, even americium, of Fukushima origin had been detected in the US.

• #9,330
etudiant said:
Afaik, minuscule flecks of plutonium have been discovered up to 2km from the plant, not bigger pieces or fuel debris. That suggests to me emissions of vaporized fuel, probably through some circuitous route, because the amounts are so small.

This idea you seem to have that there has to be large pieces of the explosion 2 km away or nothing at all makes no sense to me.

Where did you come by the model of particle disbursement that you hold?

etudiant said:
it is inconsistent with an explosion, because there would be a spectrum of debris, which does not seem to be the case here.

There is no evidence for or against "a spectrum of debris" anywhere that I know of.

• #9,332
NUCENG said:
The only confirmed reports of Plutonium found so far have been at extremely low levels that could be leftover from the Fat Man bomb dropped on Nagasaki or from other atmospheric testing of plutonium weapons. ...
I'm not sure of the quality of this report:
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20110606x2.html
but it is echoed here and here:
http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/news/20110606p2g00m0dm011000c.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jun/07/japan-doubles-fukushima-radiation-leak-estimate
By analyzing the ratio of three types of isotopes in the plutonium, Yamamoto was able to determine that it was emitted by Fukushima No. 1 and not past bomb tests.
If true, this would be confirmation of Pu from Daiichi...?
What is the credibility of "Professor Masayoshi Yamamoto of Kanazawa University" and has there been any peer review?

See the links in the ex-skf article for more evidence...
http://ex-skf.blogspot.com/2011/06/now-they-tell-us-series-strontium-was.html

Edit: wow reading those articles via ex-skf. Which isotopes are next that they just didn't feel like announcing? Also: "The amount of hydrogen gas in Reactor 2 was 0.8 ton, and 1 ton in Reactor 3."

• #9,333
http://ex-skf.blogspot.com/2011/06/now-they-tell-us-series-strontium-was.html"

Not good at all.

If people had been informed back when the measurements were taken, future leukemia risks could have been reduced.

"Where there's cesium there's strontium"?

Well I sure see a lot of caesium:
http://i.imgur.com/5uvVU.png
http://www.bfs.de/de/ion/imis/ctbto_aktivitaetskonzentrationen_caesium.gif

What does this data tell us about the temperature of the cores during the first week?

• #9,334
Bodge said:
What does this data tell us about the temperature of the cores during the first week?

Zip. Nada. Nothing. Cesium starts to evaporate at 25 degrees Celsius iirc.

• #9,335
zapperzero said:
Zip. Nada. Nothing. Cesium starts to evaporate at 25 degrees Celsius iirc.

I was actually thinking about the strontium being found 62km away:

Melting point 1050 K, 777 °C, 1431 °F
Boiling point 1655 K, 1382 °C, 2520 °F

• #9,336
MiceAndMen said:
First found by rowmag here early this morning

He posted a similar link for the second one a short time later. Those documents are obscure enough to make it highly unlikely that cryptome and rowmag found them within a few hours of each other out of sheer coincidence. Just sayin'.

Edit: Cryptome's source for the docs confirmed on next page. Good job, zapperzero.

That may be copyrighted material. The publisher generously enough allows free downloads directly from their site, using the procedure I outlined upthread, so I would like to suggest that folks please play nice and support them.

• #9,337
rowmag said:
That may be copyrighted material. The publisher generously enough allows free downloads directly from their site, using the procedure I outlined upthread, so I would like to suggest that folks please play nice and support them.

Yes, a good point. It's sad, though (and OT), how copyrights are for so long a period of time. But that's a different discussion for somewhere else.

• #9,338
etudiant said:
With all respect, that theory seems to me intensely implausible.
The explosion in reactor 3 was a coarse detonation, leaving huge chunks of stuff flying through the air.

Would it be plausible if it really came from the RPV of Unit 3, where the bolts holding the cap stretched and allowed the top to partially open during the explosion. This theory is the worst case scenario of somebody else, sorry don't remember whom...

• #9,339
rowmag said:

If we post a link to original copyright owner site, is that OK? I know the PF posting guidelines recommend not quoting large portions of articles to prevent violation of copyright information.

• #9,340

This is simply not the case. The fact is, we don't know what caused the vertical portion of the explosion from the #3 reactor building. Making false assertions does little to further the value of this thread.

Starting now, I for one, will attempt to avoid rehashing old issues that have been adequately covered in this thread until such time that there is something new and useful to add. It is my hope that we can avoid pushing the signal to noise ratio down to the point where the thread is irrelevant.

• #9,341
MiceAndMen said:
There are several papers on the web that describe how the ablation of concrete by corium depends heavily on the type of concrete. For limestone concrete the ablation is isotropic, while for silica concrete the ablation is anisotropic.

http://journals1.scholarsportal.info/details.xqy?uri=/03064549/unassigned/nfp_tioocwctvvts.xml

There are other papers you can find using google. Some are recent, some not so recent. A quick glance at them suggests that it would definitely be possible to detect if concrete ablation was occurring assuming, of course, you had working sensors nearby. Another reason to start preparations for probing inside the PCVs.
I read several papers on ablation and experiments trying to different methods to stop them. Conclussion is that it is hard to stop it even under controlled experimental conditions. I guess my point is that if it can be done, it is being done. But I am not sure what can be done to tack it in a reliable way. The papers I read didn't deal with this aspect. Whether they are telling the results or not, is another topic. But knowing the Japanese, I have no doubts that if they can do it, they are doing it. This is just too important for Japan.

• #9,342
Rehashing, especially if it's cogent and precise, would actually be quite helpful to the new people showing up. This topic seems to have become the only intelligent discourse on the internet about the reality of Fukushima.

I've read every single post, but can't remember everything at this point.

• #9,343
NUCENG said:
If we post a link to original copyright owner site, is that OK? I know the PF posting guidelines recommend not quoting large portions of articles to prevent violation of copyright information.

The articles in question are in Japanese, so quoting would be limited to Japanese text and asking someone to translate. We might ultimately end up with the whole article translated, which would completely be against the fair-use spirit of limited reproduction of copyrighted works. Then there is the matter of Japanese copyright law which I am totally unfamiliar with.

Being able to read the text would be nice, but my inability to read Japanese is my problem, not the author or publisher's. For the 2 articles in question, that's OK though because the diagrams and pictures convey substantial information by themselves.

I was using Google Translate to get some idea of the article text, but it's slow going. For example, first article, first section, title is
1. まえかき
which google translates as "For Example Oyster Or". I gave up soon thereafter.

Last edited:
  • #9,344
Bodge said:
http://ex-skf.blogspot.com/2011/06/now-they-tell-us-series-strontium-was.html"

Not good at all.

If people had been informed back when the measurements were taken, future leukemia risks could have been reduced.

"Where there's cesium there's strontium"?

Well I sure see a lot of caesium:
http://i.imgur.com/5uvVU.png
http://www.bfs.de/de/ion/imis/ctbto_aktivitaetskonzentrationen_caesium.gif

Yes, but what is even a lot more concerning to me is what does it tell us about what this data tells us (technical community and scientists) about what we are being told today... And I am not talking what the general public is being told, I am talking about what academicians and universities and official agencies are being told. It is sad to see how emails full of lies were sent from official sources to universities and departments of nuclear engineering around the world in the early stages of the tragedy. It is documented in this forum. And I am not talking here about politics, I am talking about how to interpret the data we have in front of us and go for the most likely explanation that fits most of the data, not all of it, since this data tells us that active efforts were used and most likely are being used (past behavior is the best predictor of current and future behavior) to prevent some of the data to come to light...

• #9,345
The opinion of an expert in the measurement of radiation about the Tokyo measurements
5.77 microsieverts per hour of radiation measured near Tokyo at ground level — Gov’t “is desperately trying to keep it quiet” (VIDEO)
June 7th, 2011 at 03:58 AM

http://enenews.com/5-77-microsieverts-per-hour-of-radiation-measured-near-tokyo-at-ground-level-govt-is-desperately-trying-to-keep-it-quiet-video

He says:
"The video looks legit. His whole body count isn't that high but next to that sewer/drain-off he's in the perfect spot to test for higher levels. 50x normal is most likely real. That's why I was saying that bottled and imported water is going to be huge in Japan! That Dosimeter is being used as a Geiger counter. The sensor is really small so it takes some time to ramp up to the correct reading. The water table in Japan is trashed.

I can't imagine how radioactive the water below is. It looked like most is in the Alpha and Beta range as that water is a wide line source and gamma would penetrate the ground and his meter would be detecting it from a distance.

If you can contact the guy. Try to get him to take a sample of the water without touching it (tell him to treat the water like its poison) I bet without all the Beta and Alpha being blocked by the ground. A vial of that stuff might measure 1000X background with the right meter. His meter has a 40Kev~1.5Mev Range so it's not going to pickup everything."
http://lunaticoutpost.com/Topic-Nuclear-Power-plant-Onagawa-on-fire-Fukushima-malfunctions?pid=1236881#pid1236881