Finding Thevenin Equivalent Circuit for BJT Problem

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Thevenin equivalent circuit for a BJT problem. The main question is where to make the circuit open and how to find the voltage. The solution involves finding the equivalent resistance and then finding the open circuit voltage at the base terminal. It is confirmed that this is the Thevenin voltage for the circuit.
michaelface

Homework Statement

The question asks to find the Thevenin equivalent circuit as shown in the attachment. (It's a BJT problem, but I'm having difficulty with the first part).

Homework Equations

Where are terminal points I need to worry about when making it an open circuit? That's the biggest question I have.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find the equivalent resistance via R1||R2 + R3, but I don't understand how to find the voltage. Thanks for any help.

michael.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-28 at 8.09.11 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-28 at 8.09.11 PM.png
    9 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From the figure it seems that the base terminal connection of transistor is the one where you have to make open circuit.
And you have got correctly the Rth by doing so. Now you have to find Vth at the same terminal (i.e, just find voltage at base terminal which is of course open circuited)

n.karthick said:
From the figure it seems that the base terminal connection of transistor is the one where you have to make open circuit.
And you have got correctly the Rth by doing so. Now you have to find Vth at the same terminal (i.e, just find voltage at base terminal which is of course open circuited)

So would the open circuit voltage be the same as if I were to calculate the voltage at point A? And I suppose that would mean it has to be the voltage with respect to ground. ie. [PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1981615/Vth.gif

Thanks a lot for your help.
michael.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that would be the Thevenin voltage for this circuit.

Thanks for you help!
michael.

1. What is a Thevenin Equivalent Circuit?

A Thevenin Equivalent Circuit is a simplified representation of a complex electrical circuit. It consists of a single voltage source and a single resistor, which can be used to analyze the behavior of the original circuit.

2. How is a Thevenin Equivalent Circuit calculated?

To calculate a Thevenin Equivalent Circuit, the original circuit is first simplified by removing all load components. Then, the equivalent voltage and resistance are found by analyzing the open-circuit voltage and short-circuit current of the original circuit.

3. What is the purpose of a Thevenin Equivalent Circuit?

The purpose of a Thevenin Equivalent Circuit is to simplify complex circuits and make them easier to analyze. It can also be used to determine the maximum power that can be delivered to a load in the original circuit.

4. Can a Thevenin Equivalent Circuit be used for non-linear circuits?

No, a Thevenin Equivalent Circuit can only be used for linear circuits. This means that the relationship between voltage and current must be constant and not change with different input values.

5. How accurate is a Thevenin Equivalent Circuit?

A Thevenin Equivalent Circuit is an approximation of a complex circuit and therefore may not be 100% accurate. However, it is a useful tool for analyzing circuits and can provide reasonably accurate results when used correctly.