I want to go into the field of nanotechnology. I know you need a

In summary, Nanotechnology is a big field that is multidisciplinary, with many different backgrounds needed to be successful in the field.
thunder282
I want to go into the field of nanotechnology. I know you need a physics degree but what else do you need? Also why are why not is this a good field to go into

Physics news on Phys.org

Nanotechnology is a big field (if you'll pardon the pun). You don't necessarily need a physics degree (although it is a great background, as would be chemistry, mathematics, electrical / mechanical / chemical / physics engineering, etc.) and it tends to be a very multidisciplinary field. Since nobody does it all, and it's such an emergent field, you need all sorts of people and all sorts of backgrounds. At my institution, most people doing Nanotech are based out of the engineering faculty (electrical and mechanical mainly) but many come from non-engineering backgrounds.

I expanded a little on this a few years ago, and I think it's still relevant:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=404550

This thread (similarly titled nanotechnology) may also be of benefit (note that the bottom of every page offers up similar threads--more nuggets can often be found there):
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=273350

(Yes, not only do I recycle my advice, I also recycle my puns! Don't judge me... :rolleyes:)

I'm a mechanical engineering graduate and most of my undergraduate research was in nanocomposite polymers. We improved the desired characteristics of polymers through the addition of nanoadditives. The field of nanotechnology is quite broad as MATLABdude pointed out and what I just mentioned is only a fraction, although rather large at the moment. I tend to see mostly engineers and chemists in the field to be honest.

Just saying I want to go into field X and then working towards it can often be quite a let down when you get there. It is much better to learn and explore your studies and get a better feel for what your true interests are with a first person perspective. Your undergraduate experience is to give you a foundation.

Good luck!

What is nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology is the study and manipulation of matter on an extremely small scale, typically at the nanometer level. It involves creating and using materials, devices, and systems with dimensions ranging from 1 to 100 nanometers.

What qualifications do I need to go into the field of nanotechnology?

To pursue a career in nanotechnology, you typically need a degree in a related field such as chemistry, physics, engineering, or materials science. A strong background in mathematics and computer science is also beneficial.

What skills are important for a career in nanotechnology?

Some important skills for a career in nanotechnology include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, and the ability to work with advanced equipment and technology. Strong communication and teamwork skills are also valuable in this field.

What are some potential applications of nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology has a wide range of potential applications in fields such as medicine, electronics, energy, and environmental science. It can be used to create new materials with unique properties, develop more efficient and precise medical treatments, and improve the performance of electronic devices.

What are the ethical concerns surrounding nanotechnology?

Some ethical concerns surrounding nanotechnology include potential environmental and health risks, as well as the potential for misuse of nanotechnology in weapons or surveillance. It is important for scientists and policymakers to consider these concerns and implement responsible practices in the development and use of nanotechnology.