What is a Closed Linear Subspace?

In summary, a closed linear subspace in a Hilbert space is a subspace that remains closed under scalar multiplication and vector addition, and all converging sequences within the subspace will converge to points within the subspace. It is like a "prison" where points cannot escape, even in the limit. Closed subspaces are also Hilbert spaces themselves.
mynameiseva
Hi. I'm trying to find a good definition of a closed linear subspace (as opposed to any other linear subspace), and I can't find anything concise and comprehensible. Any help will be much appreciated.
P.S. I'm not great at analysis, so please try to keep it simple.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
"closed" in what sense? Closure under vector addition and scalar multiplication are part of the definition of "subspace". Topological closure depends upon having a topology on the space.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I don't understand why people talk about 'closed linear subspaces' when every linear subspace is closed under scalar multiplication and vector addition. Here's an example,
"If L is a closed linear subspace of H, then the set of of all vectors in H that are orthogonal to every vector in L is itself a closed linear subspace".
But 'closed linear subspace' definitely means something different to just 'linear subspace', because the authors only describe some linear subspaces as 'closed'.

Hi mynameiseva! :smile:

mynameiseva said:
Yeah, that's what I mean. I don't understand why people talk about 'closed linear subspaces' when every linear subspace is closed under scalar multiplication and vector addition. Here's an example,
"If L is a closed linear subspace of H, then the set of of all vectors in H that are orthogonal to every vector in L is itself a closed linear subspace".
But 'closed linear subspace' definitely means something different to just 'linear subspace', because the authors only describe some linear subspaces as 'closed'.

Judging from your quote, you are working in a Hilbert space H. A set L in a Hilbert space is called closed if

For all sequences [itex](x_n)_n[/itex] in L such that [itex]x_n\rightarrow x[/itex] in H, then x is in L.​

Thus all sequences in L that converge, will converge to points in L. My professor once made the comparison to a prison: "a closed set is like a prison, you can't get out of it, not even in the limit".

A closed subspace is now simply a subspace that is closed. Note that closed subspaces are Hilbert spaces in their own right!

Thanks a lot. I think I understand now.

1. What is a closed linear subspace?

A closed linear subspace is a subset of a vector space that is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication. This means that if you take any two vectors in the subspace and add them together, the resulting vector will also be in the subspace. Similarly, if you multiply a vector in the subspace by a scalar, the resulting vector will also be in the subspace. In other words, a closed linear subspace is a subset of a vector space that is itself a vector space.

2. How is a closed linear subspace different from a general subspace?

A closed linear subspace is a special type of subspace that satisfies the additional condition of being closed. This means that the subspace contains all of its limit points. In contrast, a general subspace may not be closed and may not contain all of its limit points. This distinction is important in the study of functional analysis and other areas of mathematics.

3. What are some examples of closed linear subspaces?

Examples of closed linear subspaces include the set of all polynomials of degree n or less, the set of all continuous functions on a closed interval, and the set of all square-integrable functions on a fixed interval. In general, any subset of a vector space that satisfies the closure condition can be considered a closed linear subspace.

4. How is the closure of a linear subspace related to its span?

The closure of a linear subspace is the smallest closed subspace that contains the subspace. In other words, it is the intersection of all closed subspaces that contain the subspace. The span of a subspace, on the other hand, is the set of all linear combinations of vectors in the subspace. While the span is always a subspace, it may not be closed. The closure of a subspace is always a closed subspace.

5. Why is the concept of a closed linear subspace important in mathematics?

The concept of a closed linear subspace is important in mathematics because it allows us to study and analyze subsets of vector spaces that have additional properties. Closed linear subspaces are often used in functional analysis to describe spaces of functions that are complete in some sense. They also play a role in the study of topological vector spaces and other areas of mathematics.