What materials are best for building a Helmholtz coil?

In summary, using bicycle rims can create a question of whether they should be ferromagnetic or paramagnetic. Ferromagnetic would be the best option, as they are not conductive, but plastic or wood could also be used. The size of the coils should be about a meter in diameter, and should be used to test the effectiveness of magnetic shielding.
hylander4
Hello PFs,

I need to build some Helmholtz coils, and I was wondering if anybody here had suggestions on what to make the actual rims that hold the wire in a coil are generally made out of? So far its been suggested that I use bicycle rims, but even that creates a question--aluminum or steel? Should the rims be ferromagnetic or paramagnetic?

Anybody have experience building these? I was hoping to make mine about a bit less than a meter in diameter.

Engineering news on Phys.org
hylander4 said:
Hello PFs,

I need to build some Helmholtz coils, and I was wondering if anybody here had suggestions on what to make the actual rims that hold the wire in a coil are generally made out of? So far its been suggested that I use bicycle rims, but even that creates a question--aluminum or steel? Should the rims be ferromagnetic or paramagnetic?

Anybody have experience building these? I was hoping to make mine about a bit less than a meter in diameter.

(Thread moved from GD to EE)

Is that the approximate size for your coils, bicycle wheel size? What frequency range are you going to be testing?

You should not use any conductive material for the coil supports. It will distort the field in general. You could probably use aluminum for DC B-field generation, but you should be able to figure out some plastic coil supports that will work for both AC and DC field generation.

I haven't really been given any frequencies to test. I was assuming I'd be testing DC fields. The coils are being used to test the effectiveness of magnetic shielding, and they have to fit around a ~1m wide cylinder.

If it doesn't have to be too exact, would wood be alright? Or would wood be too apt to catch on fire?

1. What is a Helmholtz Coil and how does it work?

A Helmholtz Coil is a type of coil that is used to create a uniform magnetic field in a specific space. It consists of two identical circular coils placed parallel to each other with a distance equal to the radius of the coils. When an electric current is passed through the coils in the same direction, it creates a magnetic field between them that is almost uniform in strength and direction.

2. What are the materials needed to build a Helmholtz Coil?

The materials needed to build a Helmholtz Coil include two identical circular coils, a power source, wires, a switch, and a base to mount the coils. The coils can be made of copper wire and the base can be made of wood or plastic. The power source can be a battery or a power supply.

3. What factors affect the strength and uniformity of the magnetic field in a Helmholtz Coil?

The strength and uniformity of the magnetic field in a Helmholtz Coil can be affected by the radius of the coils, the distance between the coils, the number of turns in the coils, and the amount of current passing through the coils. The closer the coils are to each other, the stronger and more uniform the magnetic field will be.

4. How can I calculate the strength of the magnetic field in a Helmholtz Coil?

The strength of the magnetic field in a Helmholtz Coil can be calculated using the equation B = μ0IN/2R, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space (4π x 10^-7 T·m/A), I is the current passing through the coils, N is the number of turns in each coil, and R is the radius of the coils.

5. What are the practical applications of a Helmholtz Coil?

Helmholtz Coils have many practical applications in science and engineering. They are commonly used in research laboratories to study the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field. They are also used in medical imaging techniques such as Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) and in particle accelerators. Additionally, Helmholtz Coils can be used to calibrate other magnetic field measuring instruments.