What is the Electric Field Between Two Charged Surfaces?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a coaxial cable and finding the electric field within the wire, between the wire and shell, and outside the cable. The use of Gauss's Law and other continuous charge distribution equations are mentioned, and there is a discussion about the electric field within a conductor and the contribution of charge from the outer shell. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use Gauss's theorem to find the net free charge within the surfaces.
Elanals

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm having issues with a question about a coaxial cable.
This is the question:

A coaxial cable consists of a long straight cylindrical wire of radius R1, surrounded by a coaxial cylindrical shell of radius R2. For a situation where the inner cylinder carries constant volume charge density ρ and the shell carries constant surface charge density σ, find the electric field within the wire, between wire and shell, and outside the cable.

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law and any other continuous charge distribution equations I guess...

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a number of issues with this question. Firstly, for the electric field within the inner cylinder I can, using Gauss's law find E=ρr/2ε0. However I thought that the electric field within a conductor was zero.
Secondly, I wasn't sure if the charge of the outer shell would make a contribution to the field within the inner wire, and if it does, how to include/calculate it.
Basically, my main issue here is working out the electric field when there are two charged surfaces affecting the field.

Any help would be most appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct that the first E-field (over surface s1) is E = [itex]\frac{\rho*R_1}{2*\epsilon_o}[/itex] and E would be in the radial direction.
The reason the E-field is not zero is due to the charge density being distributed over the entire volume of the inner wire.

The second surface would enclose all of the inner wire so using Gauss's Law similar to before:
[itex]E_r*\epsilon_o*2*\pi*r*h = \int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{h}\int_{0}^{R_1}\rho*rdrdzd\theta[/itex] which equals:
[itex]E_r*\epsilon_o*2*\pi*r*h = \rho*\pi*h*R_1^2[/itex], so E will again be in the radial direction: [itex]E = \frac{\rho*R_1^2}{2*\epsilon_o*r}[/itex]

For the third Gaussian surface (s3):
We have to include both the volume charge density which will be the same as before as well as the surface charge density now included in the enclosed surface
[itex]E*\epsilon_o*2*\pi*r*h = \rho*\pi*R_1^2*h+ \int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{R_2}\int_{0}^{h}\sigma*dr*dz*d\theta[/itex] which gives after integration:
[itex]E = \frac{\rho*R_1^2}{2*\epsilon_o*r}+ \frac{\sigma*R_2}{\epsilon_o*r}[/itex]
which again is in the r direction.

Hope this helps.

You are correct in stating that any static charge on the inner conductor is confined to the surface. So the E field within the inner conductor is zero unless there is also current flow. But this current does not constitute net free charge so there is no E field produced ouside the inner conductor by virtue of current flow alone.

If there is current flow there is an E field within the conductor, directed in the direction of current: E = i/γ where i = area current density and γ = conductivity.

It is possible for the wire to simulataneouskly have static surface charge and also carry a current, in which case the static charge again makes the E field inside the conductor = 0 but for r > R1 it's not.

Just use Gauss' theorem for net free charge contained within your surfaces. I suppose you could pretend the "wire" is a dielectric so that charge density can indeed exist within the inner "wire". In which case you have 3 surfaces with varying net free charge to contend with.

Like I said, the premise of the question is impossible so I would confront your instructor with that fact. Either that, or he needs to educate me!

Last edited:

1. What is a coaxial cable and how does it work?

A coaxial cable is a type of cable used for transmitting high-frequency electrical signals. It consists of two conductors: a central copper wire surrounded by a layer of insulation, and an outer copper braid or foil. The two conductors are separated by a dielectric material, such as plastic or foam, which helps to maintain the integrity of the electrical signal by reducing interference from external sources.

2. How does an electric field interact with a coaxial cable?

An electric field is a region in which an electric charge experiences a force. When an electric field is applied to a coaxial cable, the electric charges in the central wire and outer braid are affected. The electric charges in the central wire experience a force towards the outer braid, while the charges in the outer braid experience a force away from the central wire. This interaction helps to maintain the flow of electrical signals through the cable.

3. How is the electric field distributed in a coaxial cable?

The electric field in a coaxial cable is strongest between the central wire and the outer braid. This is because the two conductors are closest together in this region, allowing for a stronger interaction between the electric charges. The electric field is weakest in the center of the central wire and the outer edge of the outer braid.

4. What factors affect the strength of the electric field in a coaxial cable?

The strength of the electric field in a coaxial cable is affected by the distance between the two conductors, the type and thickness of the dielectric material, and the frequency of the electrical signal being transmitted. A shorter distance between the conductors and a higher frequency will result in a stronger electric field.

5. How is the electric field strength measured in a coaxial cable?

The electric field strength in a coaxial cable is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). This measurement indicates the strength of the electric field at a specific point in the cable. The higher the value of V/m, the stronger the electric field is at that point. The electric field strength can also be calculated using the formula E = V/d, where E is the electric field strength, V is the voltage, and d is the distance between the two conductors.