Errors in Left and Right Approximation in Calculus?

In summary: R(n) = -L(n) + I In summary, the homework problem asks for someone to calculate the error in an integral using left and right approximations. The poster calculates the error using 10 subdivisions and finds that the error is less than the desired value of R-L. They then ask for instructions on how to find the answer for the f(x) x^3 from 0 10, but are told that the answer is found by calculating the error.
aizeltine
Moderator's note: This thread is a perfect example of what not to do in the homework help forums. It is unacceptable for the opening poster not to work through the problem and to demand answers. It is inappropriate for the helper to give out those answers, or tell the poster exactly what to do. If it were not already too late, I would have closed/deleted this thread. Since it is too late, I'm leaving it up with this warning that it's an example of what not to do.

Homework Statement

How do you calculate an error using left and right approx? How do you find the exact answer to that integral?
Here's the homework question.
How many subdivisions would you need to use so that the error in the left and right approximations of the function f(x)=x^3 from x=0 to 10 was 0. 01?
So, I know how to calculate the area of right and left but how do I find the real answers first?
And how do i make the error equal to 0.01?
Thanks. Calculus is hard so please help.

Homework Equations

f(x)=x^3 from x=0 to 10

The Attempt at a Solution

here is the calculation of my left and right approximation using 10 subdivisions.
L10= f(0)+f(1)+f(2)+f(3)+f(4)+f(5)+f(6)+f(7)+f(8)+f(9)
= 0+ .25+ 4+20.25+ 64+156.25+324+600.25+1042+1640.3
=3851.3
R10= f(1)+f(2)+f(3)+f(4)+f(5)+f(6)+f(7)+f(8)+f(9)+f(10)
.25+ 4+20.25+ 64+156.25+324+600.25+1042+1640.3+ 2500
=6351.3
if you get the average of the two you have 3400.87
so, Now what?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
say you subdivide into n equal intervals, the approximations are
Left
[tex]L = \sum_{i=0}^{n-1}f(x_i)\Delta x[/tex]

Right
[tex]R = \sum_{i=1}^{n}f(x_i)\Delta x [/tex]

Now in this case as x^3 is concave up you know that
[tex]L < \int_0^{10}x^3dx < R [/tex]

So the error in each approximation is less than R-L, if we use that as an approximation of the error or at least as a bound on it, then we get
[tex]e < R-L = \sum_{i=1}^{n}f(x_i)\Delta x-\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}f(x_i)\Delta x = (f(x_n) -f(x_0))\Delta x [/tex]

What?I still don't understand!we haven't learned those equations yet.

lanedance said:
say you subdivide into n equal intervals, the approximations are
Left
[tex]L = \sum_{i=0}^{n-1}f(x_i)\Delta x[/tex]

Right
[tex]R = \sum_{i=1}^{n}f(x_i)\Delta x [/tex]

Now in this case as x^3 is concave up you know that
[tex]L < \int_0^{10}x^3dx < R [/tex]

So the error in each approximation is less than R-L, if we use that as an approximation of the error or at least as a bound on it, then we get
[tex]e < R-L = \sum_{i=1}^{n}f(x_i)\Delta x-\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}f(x_i)\Delta x = (f(x_n) -f(x_0))\Delta x [/tex]
What does "e" mean? just please tell me instructions on how to get the answer. please

i pretty much have, but note we don't tell you how to get an answer here, but rather help you find it yourself

the formula is just a quick way of writing what you are attempting, so consider you L10, this has n=10 subdivsions with [itex] \Delta x = \frac{10}{10}= 1[/itex], whilst the x_i is the value of x at the left side of a subdivision
[tex]
L_{10}= f(0)+f(1)+f(2)+f(3)+f(4)+f(5)+f(6)+f(7)+f(8)+f(9)
[/tex]
[tex]
= f(0).1+f(1).1+f(2)+f(3).1+f(4).1+f(5).1+f(6).1+f(7).1+f(8).1+f(9).1
[/tex]
[tex]
= \sum_{i=0}^{9} f(x_i).1
[/tex]
[tex]
= \sum_{i=0}^{10-1} f(x_i) \Delta x
[/tex]

whihc is exactly what we had above with n=10

As for the "e" in the above post this is an upper bound for your error

lanedance said:
i pretty much have, but note we don't tell you how to get an answer here, but rather help you find it yourself

the formula is just a quick way of writing what you are attempting, so consider you L10, this has n=10 subdivsions with [itex] \Delta x = \frac{10}{10}= 1[/itex], whilst the x_i is the value of x at the left side of a subdivision
[tex]
L_{10}= f(0)+f(1)+f(2)+f(3)+f(4)+f(5)+f(6)+f(7)+f(8)+f(9)
[/tex]
[tex]
= f(0).1+f(1).1+f(2)+f(3).1+f(4).1+f(5).1+f(6).1+f(7).1+f(8).1+f(9).1
[/tex]
[tex]
= \sum_{i=0}^{9} f(x_i).1
[/tex]
[tex]
= \sum_{i=0}^{10-1} f(x_i) \Delta x
[/tex]

whihc is exactly what we had above with n=10

As for the "e" in the above post this is an upper bound for your error
I still don't get it. Can you just please tell me how to find the ACTUAL answer for the f(x) x^3 from 0 10? i will just find the error myself.

to desribe "e" better, assume we kow the value of the integral
[tex] I = \int_0^{10}x^3dx[/tex]

Now for a given n subdivsions as discussed before we know
[tex] L(n)< I< R(n)[/tex]

consider the error in the right approximation
[tex] e_R(n) = R(n) - I >0 [/tex]

[tex] e_L(n) = I-L(n)>0 [/tex]

note if we sum the error in each
[tex] e_L(n) + e_R(n) = R(n) - L(n) >0 [/tex]

aizeltine said:
I still don't get it. Can you just please tell me how to find the ACTUAL answer for the f(x) x^3 from 0 10? i will just find the error myself.

do you mean adctually calulating the integral? It is as follows
[tex] I = \int_0^{10} x^3 dx = (\frac{x^4}{4})|_0^{10} = (\frac{10^4}{4})-0 =2500 [/tex]

aizeltine said:

Homework Statement

How do you calculate an error using left and right approx? How do you find the exact answer to that integral?
Here's the homework question.
How many subdivisions would you need to use so that the error in the left and right approximations of the function f(x)=x^3 from x=0 to 10 was 0. 01?
So, I know how to calculate the area of right and left but how do I find the real answers first?
And how do i make the error equal to 0.01?
Thanks. Calculus is hard so please help.

Homework Equations

f(x)=x^3 from x=0 to 10

The Attempt at a Solution

here is the calculation of my left and right approximation using 10 subdivisions.
L10= f(0)+f(1)+f(2)+f(3)+f(4)+f(5)+f(6)+f(7)+f(8)+f(9)
= 0+ .25+ 4+20.25+ 64+156.25+324+600.25+1042+1640.3
=3851.3
R10= f(1)+f(2)+f(3)+f(4)+f(5)+f(6)+f(7)+f(8)+f(9)+f(10)
.25+ 4+20.25+ 64+156.25+324+600.25+1042+1640.3+ 2500
=6351.3
if you get the average of the two you have 3400.87
so, Now what?

I have read back over this and you are not approximating the integral correctly, for example f(1) should be:
[tex]
f(1) = 1^3 = 1
[/tex]

where as you appear to be using the form of the integral which is not correct
[tex]
F(x) = \frac{x^4}{4}
[/tex]
[tex]
F(1) = \frac{1}{4}=0.25
[/tex]

lanedance said:
to desribe "e" better, assume we kow the value of the integral
[tex] I = \int_0^{10}x^3dx[/tex]

Now for a given n subdivsions as discussed before we know
[tex] L(n)< I< R(n)[/tex]

[tex] e_R(n) = R(n) - I >0 [/tex]

[tex] e_L(n) = I-L(n)>0 [/tex]

note if we sum the error in each
[tex] e_L(n) + e_R(n) = R(n) - L(n) >0 [/tex]
You are killing my brain!
My question is simple. how do u calculate the actual answer?
Look at this website
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...XNBcXP&sig=AHIEtbSxVTswFleaJW05ZNeAXh5TeRCCGg
Notice that in the second page, there is an integral equation where it got ln 2=0.693 as the answer. That 0.693 is just what I need. And that is the actual answer that I need to compare my errors with.

If you want a quick way to do this problem I suggest you try and make sense of mny first post

Furthermore it sounds like you're a little confused about what the left and right aproximations are, so I would suggest you try and draw the problem close to scale, for say n=5 subdivisions

aizeltine said:
You are killing my brain!
My question is simple. how do u calculate the actual answer?
Look at this website
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...XNBcXP&sig=AHIEtbSxVTswFleaJW05ZNeAXh5TeRCCGg

Notice that in the second page, there is an integral equation where it got ln 2=0.693 as the answer. That 0.693 is just what I need. And that is the actual answer that I need to compare my errors with.

The integral is as follows
[tex] I = \int_0^{10} x^3 dx = (\frac{x^4}{4})|_0^{10} = (\frac{10^4}{4})-0 =2500 [/tex]

Apologies as i think we have been one post out of sync, there is some useful stuff in what i have written so suggest you still take a look

lanedance said:
The integral is as follows

Apologies as i think we have been one post out of sync, there is some useful stuff in what i have written so suggest you still take a look

So 2500 is the Actual answer right?

aizeltine said:
So 2500 is the Actual answer right?
correct

lanedance said:
correct

Thank you.

no worries going back to post 2, for n equal subdivisons or [itex] \Delta x = \frac{10}{n}[/itex] you know the sum of the absolute error of the right and left approximations is

[tex]e_L(n) + e_R(n) = (f(10) -f(0))\Delta x = (10^3-0) \frac{10}{n} = \frac{10^4}{n} = \frac{10000}{n}[/tex]

and in fact as n gets big you can make the assumption through similar triangles that

[tex]e_L(n) \approx e_R(n) \approx \frac{5000}{n}[/tex]

In fact as n gets big you could say e_L(n) ~ e_R(n) and so each one contributes half the error or e_L(n) ~ e_R(n) ~ 5000/n, so its worth comparing this with your estimates

Wait. I could just use 1000/n to be able to get the error of 0.01?

lanedance said:
In fact as n gets big you could say e_L(n) ~ e_R(n) and so each one contributes half the error or e_L(n) ~ e_R(n) ~ 5000/n, so its worth comparing this with your estimates
Wait. I could just use 1000/n to be able to get the error of 0.01?

No, why would you change the number to 1000?

You could howerver use the formula I prescribed and solve for n

lanedance said:
No, why would you change the number to 1000?

You could howerver use the formula I prescribed and solve for n

What equation? And can you please clarify what each variable mean?

no sorry, I think I have been pretty detailed in my explanation, you need to attempt some work

Thank you. I love you so much!

1. What are left and right approximations in calculus?

Left and right approximations in calculus refer to methods used to estimate the value of a function at a specific point by using the values of the function at points to the left and right of the desired point. These approximations are useful in situations where the function is not easily evaluated at the desired point.

2. How do left and right approximations differ?

Left and right approximations differ in the direction in which they approach the desired point. Left approximations use values of the function at points to the left of the desired point, while right approximations use values to the right. This can result in slightly different estimates of the function's value at the desired point.

3. What causes errors in left and right approximations?

Errors in left and right approximations can be caused by several factors. One common source of error is the use of too few points in the approximation, which can result in a less accurate estimate. Additionally, if the function is not smooth or continuous at the desired point, this can also lead to errors in the approximation.

4. How can errors in left and right approximations be minimized?

To minimize errors in left and right approximations, it is important to use a sufficient number of points in the approximation method. This can help to improve the accuracy of the estimate. Additionally, choosing points that are closer to the desired point can also help to reduce errors. It is also important to ensure that the function is smooth and continuous at the desired point.

5. Can left and right approximations be used for any type of function?

Left and right approximations can be used for any continuous function. However, for functions that are not continuous, such as those with sharp corners or discontinuities, these approximation methods may not produce accurate results. In these cases, other methods, such as numerical integration, may be more appropriate.