Exploring the Reality of Space-Time Fabric

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of space-time fabric and its relationship to the curvature of space caused by the presence of matter. The speaker suggests that the Earth may be surrounded by a plane of space-time fabric, similar to a ball inside a box. However, they also mention that this representation may not be entirely accurate and that the actual shape of space may be more complex.
doey
I have no idea about it,

as my understanding,that Mr.Einstein depicted that what actually happening in space are above on a plane and flat Space-time fabric.Is this telling us that the Earth around is nothing ?What i trying to say is the surrounding of a mass might not exist only a plane of space-time fabric but is totally covered the Earth itself .just like a ball inside a box,and the volume of box is infinite as space(space and time) mean we are not living on a flat space but contented in whole of it. would it be?:bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
I find it difficult to understand your questions.

In general relativity there is a distinction between vacuum solutions, which represent spacetime where there is no matter, but this spacetime may be curved by the presence of matter elsewhere.

Mentz114 said:
I find it difficult to understand your questions.

In general relativity there is a distinction between vacuum solutions, which represent spacetime where there is no matter, but this spacetime may be curved by the presence of matter elsewhere.

ya,i was talking abt this ,by the way what was illustrate as u can watching on youtube are in flat and plane.

what i was stated that the bent of the spacetime should like this

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is space-time fabric?

The concept of space-time fabric is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the structure of the universe. It is the idea that space and time are not separate entities, but rather are interconnected and form a four-dimensional fabric.

2. How was the existence of space-time fabric discovered?

The existence of space-time fabric was first proposed by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity in 1915. This theory has been extensively tested and has been confirmed by numerous observations, such as the bending of starlight by massive objects and the gravitational redshift of light.

3. How does space-time fabric affect the movement of objects?

According to the theory of general relativity, the presence of mass and energy causes space-time fabric to curve. This curvature affects the movement of objects by altering the path that they follow through space-time. For example, the gravitational pull of a massive object causes smaller objects to orbit around it.

4. Can space-time fabric be manipulated or controlled?

Currently, there is no known way to manipulate or control space-time fabric. However, some theories suggest that advanced civilizations or technologies may be able to manipulate space-time fabric in the future. This is still a topic of ongoing research and speculation.

5. How does the concept of space-time fabric impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of space-time fabric has revolutionized our understanding of the universe and has led to many groundbreaking discoveries in the field of physics. It has helped scientists to explain the behavior of massive objects, the expansion of the universe, and the effects of gravity. It also plays a crucial role in the development of theories such as the Big Bang and black holes.