Limitations to RBMK burn-up

• Thread starter vifteovn
  • Start date
In summary, the limits to the burn-up of RBMK fuel are a matter of policy and fuel cycle management/strategy. The average burn-up of RBMK fuel is between 20-30 GWd/tU, but it could potentially be increased by increasing enrichment and residence time. However, there are technical issues such as dimensional stability and corrosion behavior that may need to be addressed. After the Chernobyl accident, the burn-up was initially reduced but then increased again with the addition of erbium to the fuel. Increasing burn-up may require modifications to the fuel assembly, such as thicker cladding or higher fuel density. In the past, LWR fuel cycles had shorter discharge burnups and involved reprocessing, but changes in policy and industry
vifteovn
Hi

I'm wondering what puts the limits to the burn-up of RBMK fuel. Is it the build up of fission products or the fuel simply running out of sufficient u-235 to sustain a chain reaction?

The average burn-up of RBMK is between 20 - 30 GWd/tU, http://www.neimagazine.com/journals/Power/NEI/September_2004/attachments/NEISept04p26-35.pdf .

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
vifteovn said:
Hi

I'm wondering what puts the limits to the burn-up of RBMK fuel. Is it the build up of fission products or the fuel simply running out of sufficient u-235 to sustain a chain reaction?

The average burn-up of RBMK is between 20 - 30 GWd/tU, http://www.neimagazine.com/journals/Power/NEI/September_2004/attachments/NEISept04p26-35.pdf .
It is a matter of policy or fuel cycle management/strategy.

http://www.elemash.ru/en/production/Products/NFCP/RBMK/

Burnups could be increased to the range of LWR fuel by simply increasing the enrichment and increasing the residence time of the fuel. However, there are technical issues with respect to the dimensional stability and corrosion behavior that may play a role.

The lower burnups mean that there is less buildup of TU radionuclides beyond Pu, which is an issue for recycle of Pu from spent fuel.

Perhaps the Chernobyl accident influenced the policy regarding maximum burnup of RBMK fuel.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I've read, the burnup was reduced after the Chernobyl accident, but after the addition of 0.4 % of erbium to the fuel the burnup was bumped up again.

Yeah, I was interested in the technical issues with increased burnup. If an increased burnup would not be possible without modifications to the fuel assembly, i.e. make the cladding thicker or something.

vifteovn said:
As far as I've read, the burnup was reduced after the Chernobyl accident, but after the addition of 0.4 % of erbium to the fuel the burnup was bumped up again.

Yeah, I was interested in the technical issues with increased burnup. If an increased burnup would not be possible without modifications to the fuel assembly, i.e. make the cladding thicker or something.
I'm not familiar with specific performance issues with RBMK fuel.

Erbium has a lower residual poison effect than gadolinium, and one can usually use less Er than Gd in fuel, so it's penalty on thermal conductivity of the fuel is less.

With regard to cladding material, if one thickens the cladding, this would be at the expense of the fuel material. One could compensate to some extent by increasing the density of the fuel.

Back in the earlier decades of LWR fuel, the cycles were annual and the discharge burnups were in the low 30 GWd/tHM. Reprocessing of LWR was part of the plan. However, fuel cycle strategies changed because reprocessing in the US was suspended indefinitely, and the industry was faced with no where to send the spent fuel which began accumulating in spent fuel pools. Cycle lengths were increased to improve capacity factor and eliminate refueling outages, which saved millions $. Also, the discharge burnup was increased to the high 50 or low 60 GWd/tU.

RBMK fuel cycle management is different than LWR fuel cycle management, and LWR fuel cycle management varies according to national policy and utility.

I can provide some insight into the limitations to RBMK burn-up. The burn-up of RBMK fuel is primarily affected by two factors: the buildup of fission products and the depletion of U-235.

The RBMK reactor is a type of graphite-moderated reactor, which means that the graphite is used to slow down the neutrons and maintain the chain reaction. However, this graphite also acts as a moderator for the fission products, which can absorb neutrons and reduce the efficiency of the chain reaction. As the reactor operates, these fission products will continue to build up and reach a point where they significantly hinder the chain reaction, limiting the burn-up of the fuel.

Additionally, the RBMK reactor uses natural uranium as its fuel source, which contains only a small amount of U-235, the isotope that is responsible for sustaining the chain reaction. As the reactor operates, U-235 is depleted, making it more difficult for the chain reaction to continue. This depletion ultimately limits the burn-up of the fuel.

Therefore, both the buildup of fission products and the depletion of U-235 play a role in limiting the burn-up of RBMK fuel. To overcome these limitations, continuous monitoring and maintenance of the reactor are necessary to ensure safe and efficient operation.

What is the maximum burn-up limit for RBMK reactors?

The maximum burn-up limit for RBMK reactors is approximately 45 GWd/tU (gigawatt days per metric ton of uranium). This means that after this amount of burn-up, the fuel is considered to be spent and needs to be replaced.

What causes limitations to RBMK burn-up?

The limitations to RBMK burn-up are primarily caused by the design of the reactor. The RBMK reactor uses graphite as a moderator, which leads to an increase in the burn-up rate of the fuel. However, this also causes a build-up of xenon-135, a neutron-absorbing element that reduces the efficiency of the reactor.

Why is high burn-up desirable in RBMK reactors?

High burn-up is desirable in RBMK reactors because it results in a higher energy output and a longer fuel cycle, reducing the frequency of refueling. This leads to lower costs and increased efficiency in the operation of the reactor.

What are the safety implications of high burn-up in RBMK reactors?

High burn-up in RBMK reactors can lead to several safety implications. As the fuel is burned at a faster rate, it can cause an increase in temperature and pressure, potentially leading to a loss of coolant accident. Additionally, the build-up of xenon-135 can cause a decrease in reactivity, which could result in a power excursion and potential meltdown.

How do scientists and engineers mitigate limitations to RBMK burn-up?

To mitigate limitations to RBMK burn-up, scientists and engineers use techniques such as fuel shuffling, where the fuel is rearranged in the reactor to even out the burn-up rate and reduce the build-up of xenon-135. They also conduct regular inspections and maintenance to ensure the safe operation of the reactor and monitor the levels of xenon-135 and other neutron-absorbing elements.