What happens if you are absent from college?

• Schools
  • Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, if you are unable to attend university for a day due to medical reasons, you may be able to submit your assignment the following day. It is best to check the syllabus for the course and consult with the professor beforehand. Additionally, it may be possible to submit the assignment early if you know about your absence in advance. It is recommended to also refer to your school's regulations for guidance in this situation.
Bipolarity
Say I am absent from my university for a day for medical reasons, but I have an assignment due that day. Can I hand in my work the next day?

I know it depends on the school and of course the professor, but what should I do if I know I am going to be absent? Should the email the professor asking him if I can submit the assignment the day I get back? Is it usually accepted?

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the syllabus for that course. They outline procedures for dealing with these sorts of things. The professor will be able to tell you as well if you ask.

If you know you're going to be absent on a certain day, why don't you hand in the assignment a day early? There's no way the professor should have an issue with that?

Yes, get in contact with the professor.

As everyone above has said, ask your professor, and also consult your school's student handbook/academic regulations/official web page to see if there's a standard procedure for such a situation.

1. What is the college's policy on absences?

Each college has its own policy on absences. Some colleges may allow a certain number of absences before it affects your grade or enrollment status, while others may have stricter policies. It's important to check with your college's academic catalog or speak with an academic advisor to understand the specific policy for your college.

2. Will missing class affect my grades?

Yes, in most cases, missing class will negatively impact your grades. This is because lectures, discussions, and other class activities are designed to help you learn and understand the course material. If you miss class, you may miss important information that could be on exams or assignments. It's important to communicate with your professors and make up any missed work if possible.

3. Can I make up missed assignments or exams?

This will depend on your college's policy and your professors' discretion. Some colleges may allow you to make up missed work, while others may have a strict no make-up policy. It's important to communicate with your professors and provide a valid reason for your absence. If possible, try to make up any missed work as soon as possible to avoid falling behind in the course.

4. Will being absent affect my financial aid or scholarships?

It's possible that missing classes or falling behind in your coursework could affect your financial aid or scholarships. This is because most financial aid and scholarship programs have attendance and academic progress requirements. If you are consistently absent or failing courses, you may not meet these requirements and could lose your financial aid or scholarships. It's important to check with your financial aid office or scholarship provider to understand the specific requirements for your aid or scholarship.

5. Are there any consequences for being absent from college?

Yes, there can be consequences for being absent from college. These can include lowered grades, missed opportunities for learning and participation, and potential loss of financial aid or scholarships. Consistently being absent from college can also affect your overall academic progress and may impact your ability to graduate on time. It's important to attend classes regularly and communicate with your professors if you need to miss class for a valid reason.