Is there a special term for refractive indices when 1 is subtracted?

In summary, the refractive index is a measure of how much light is bent when it passes through a material. The special term for refractive indices when 1 is subtracted is called the relative refractive index, which is used in optics to determine the amount of light that is bent and in Snell's law. It cannot be negative and is related to the absolute refractive index by the equation n = n<sub>absolute</sub> - 1.
richyw
I have been doing a bit of studying for my optics course and I have often come across refractive indices or materials being presented as n-1 (which often makes a lot of sense). I was just wondering if there was a special term like for this format or if we still call it just the "refractive index"?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, it's not directly for homework although I will probably use it for homework. It's more just for my own information.

thanks!

Science news on Phys.org

1. What is a refractive index?

A refractive index is a measure of how much light is bent when it passes through a material. It is a dimensionless quantity that describes the speed of light in a vacuum compared to its speed in that material.

2. What is the special term for refractive indices when 1 is subtracted?

The special term for refractive indices when 1 is subtracted is called the relative refractive index. It is calculated by subtracting 1 from the refractive index of a material.

3. How is the relative refractive index used in optics?

The relative refractive index is used to determine the amount of light that is bent when it passes through a material. It is also used in Snell's law, which describes the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction for light passing through different materials.

4. Can the relative refractive index be negative?

No, the relative refractive index cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it is calculated by subtracting 1 from the refractive index, which is also a positive value.

5. How is the relative refractive index related to the absolute refractive index?

The relative refractive index is related to the absolute refractive index by the equation n = nabsolute - 1, where n is the relative refractive index and nabsolute is the absolute refractive index. This relationship allows for the conversion between the two values.