Finding Magnetic Field for Infinite Sheet Concept

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an equation involving dB and Amp's Law for an old assignment. There is uncertainty about the setup and the equation's applicability, but it involves an infinite charged plate and determining the magnetic field at a certain distance.
ltkach
Hello, this is not a homework assignment. I am referencing an old assignment from a few semesters ago. I am curious if I can use the basic:dB = mu/4pi dq * v X r /r^2; where dq = sigma*da=sigma*L*dx;

instead of just using Amp's Law.

this stuff was fun...dunno if i was at all correct.

things the problem has to give me for my method to have the same numerical value, if method is equivalent is: the z distance, length of area, a distance in the x direction, velocity, and sigma.

Attachments

• 28.86 reference.jpg
    28.86 reference.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 498
  • 28.86alternate method...maybe.jpg
    28.86alternate method...maybe.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 511
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,
Unfortunately, your setup isn't immediately clear from your post, so it's hard to say if the equation you wrote applies. You mention an infinite sheet of something? Also, many of those symbols you used are in the frequently used section to the right when you click "Go Advanced"; would make things far more readable.
dB = μ0/(4∏) dq * v X r /r2; where dq = Ʃ*da=Ʃ*L*dx;
It looks like your infinite plate is charged and moving? And you want to figure out the magnetic field some distance from it? My guess here is you shouldn't need the full Amp's Law, but not 100% clear on the setup.

What is the concept of finding magnetic field for an infinite sheet?

The concept of finding magnetic field for an infinite sheet is a simplified way to calculate the magnetic field produced by an infinitely large and thin sheet of current. This concept is based on the principle of superposition, where the total magnetic field at a point is the sum of the individual magnetic fields produced by each element of the sheet.

What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field for an infinite sheet?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field for an infinite sheet is B = μ0I/2, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, and I is the current per unit length of the sheet. This formula holds true for any point above or below the sheet, as well as at the edge of the sheet.

What are the units for the magnetic field calculated using this concept?

The units for the magnetic field calculated using this concept are tesla (T) or newton per ampere-meter (N/A·m). This unit represents the strength of the magnetic field at a given point and is equivalent to one kilogram per second squared per ampere (kg·s⁻²·A⁻¹).

Can this concept be applied to a finite sheet of current?

Yes, this concept can be applied to a finite sheet of current. However, the formula for calculating the magnetic field would change as it would depend on the dimensions of the sheet and the distance from the sheet. In this case, the magnetic field would not be constant and would vary at different points.

What are the limitations of using this concept to calculate magnetic field?

One limitation of using this concept is that it assumes the current flowing through the sheet is constant and is uniformly distributed along the length of the sheet. It also does not take into account the effects of the edges of the sheet, which can lead to inaccuracies in the calculated magnetic field. Additionally, this concept is only applicable to thin sheets of current and may not accurately represent the magnetic field for thicker or irregularly shaped sheets.