Understanding Op-Amp Simulation in Multisim

In summary: R5 = 0, I get an output of 1.414V. When I set R1 = R3,...R5 = 1, I get an output of -1.414V. What does this tell me about the relationship?The amplifiers are inversely proportional to each other.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

I am working on the prelab for my class right now, and I am having difficulties understanding how to get my Multisim to work. Sadly we have not learned about Op-Amps, and by design our instructor has us do problems involving things not taught in class in order to force us to do research and such, so I am pretty lost with this.

On page 2, my pin diagram is the same as the pin diagram on the 1st page of the datasheet at the top left for the TLC227 (D, JG, P, or PW Package)

Datasheet: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tlc277.pdf

For page 3, I have the ''Positive Supply Label'' as Pin 3 and 5. The ''Negative Supply Label'' is pins 2 and 6.

I was able to prove the relationship on page 4, but now I'm stuck on the part about simulating the circuit. First of all, the diagram on page 3 has only 3 connections leaving the op-amp, and the one on multisim has 5 connections, so I don't really know what to do with the other 2.
I'll attach the lab, but I am working on page 4, asking for the R_f and R_in.

Here is my inverting amplifier, it won't actually run at the moment, something is messed up with this circuit.

Attachments

• Lab+3+Operational+Amplifiers+2.9.pdf
    319.4 KB · Views: 1,104
  • Inverting Amplifer.pdf
    38.1 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maylis said:
I am working on the prelab for my class right now, and I am having difficulties understanding how to get my Multisim to work. Sadly we have not learned about Op-Amps, and by design our instructor has us do problems involving things not taught in class in order to force us to do research and such, so I am pretty lost with this.

On page 2, my pin diagram is the same as the pin diagram on the 1st page of the datasheet at the top left for the TLC227 (D, JG, P, or PW Package)

Datasheet: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tlc277.pdf

For page 3, I have the ''Positive Supply Label'' as Pin 3 and 5. The ''Negative Supply Label'' is pins 2 and 6.
Pins 2 & 6 are negative inputs to the amplifiers, while 3 & 5 are the positive inputs to the amplifiers. They are not power supply connections. Power is applied at pins 4 and 8.

I was able to prove the relationship on page 4, but now I'm stuck on the part about simulating the circuit. First of all, the diagram on page 3 has only 3 connections leaving the op-amp, and the one on multisim has 5 connections, so I don't really know what to do with the other 2.
The power connections are often left off of an op-amp circuit diagram in order to reduce clutter. However, it is understood that they be connected appropriately in the real circuit in order for the components to function. Your "missing" connections in the page 3 diagram are these power connections.

I'll attach the lab, but I am working on page 4, asking for the R_f and R_in.

Here is my inverting amplifier, it won't actually run at the moment, something is messed up with this circuit.
Check your power connection pins. You seem to have their polarity reversed (note the negative sign on the V2 magnitude. That makes V2 negative with respect to V3). Here's your circuit diagram with the pin labeling fixed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=66534&stc=1&d=1392211931.gif

You'll probably want to reduce the V1 supply value. The output of the amplifier can only swing between the power supply values, so +/- 5V in this case, and you're hitting the input of the amplifier with +5 volts; there's no way the amplifier can produce an output of Gain multiplied by 5V when Gain is greater than 1.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    9.9 KB · Views: 2,654
How is the positive power supply pin 8? There is a negative right there at the top of the op-amp. Is the positive power supply label Vdd (pin 8) and GND (pin 4) the negative supply label?

Maylis said:
How is the positive power supply pin 8? There is a negative right there at the top of the op-amp. Is the positive power supply label Vdd (pin 8) and GND (pin 4) the negative supply label?

Yup. Vdd and GND are as specified on the pinout diagram. The "+" and "-" on the op-amp symbol are to distinguish the inverting and non-inverting signal inputs.

Okay, now I switched the polarity. It is weird to me that the positive power supply has a negative voltage and the negative power supply a positive voltage.

Also, it looks like my simulation is not producing an output voltage that is -5Vin, it is -4.88Vin. Why would the resistances matter, as long as they are in a ratio of 5/1? The question implies to me that there are specific resistances.

Attachments

• Inverting Amplifer 2.pdf
    39.5 KB · Views: 238
Also, I am now working on page 5, and I was able to prove the relationship.

Now I am running multisim for the noninverting amplifer and when I set R1 = R2, my V_out is not twice the V_in, its actually less than V_in

Attachments

• Non Inverting Amplifer attempt 1.pdf
    39.3 KB · Views: 225
Maylis said:
Okay, now I switched the polarity. It is weird to me that the positive power supply has a negative voltage and the negative power supply a positive voltage.
Huh? You have +5V on pin 8 and -5V on pin 4. That's correct, and not reversed :confused:

Also, it looks like my simulation is not producing an output voltage that is -5Vin, it is -4.88Vin. Why would the resistances matter, as long as they are in a ratio of 5/1? The question implies to me that there are specific resistances.

It could be that the op-amp is not capable of driving all the way to the supply rails. This is often true of real op-amps. You might want to look through the spec sheet to see how closely it can drive its output to the rails. Also, check the amplifier response to smaller inputs to see if it is linear if you avoid driving the output close to the rails.

Yes, it's the resistor ratio that matters and you can choose any sizes within reason. If they are too small your amplifier may load down the signal source by trying to draw too much current (that is, your amplifier's input impedance will be too low), or if they are too high then the amplifier may be affected by thermal (shot) noise in the resistors producing enough current to generate voltages across the resistors that will be amplified and seen at the output.

Maylis said:
Also, I am now working on page 5, and I was able to prove the relationship.

Now I am running multisim for the noninverting amplifer and when I set R1 = R2, my V_out is not twice the V_in, its actually less than V_in

Check your power supplies. Pin 8 should be connected to the positive supply and pin 4 to the negative supply. Always refer to the pinout diagram on the spec sheet.

attachment.php?attachmentid=66552&stc=1&d=1392251539.gif

Attachments

• Fig2.gif
    Fig2.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 2,075
Ok I see now. Well, I changed the voltage polarities, and now all I get is the same output as input, not twice as much

Attachments

• non inverting attempt 2.pdf
    39.4 KB · Views: 245
In your circuit diagram I don't see a "dot" at the junction of the feedback path resistors. The other obvious junction in the circuit does have one. Can you check to make sure that the connection is really established?

Okay great, that was the problem. Now I see it is 2V. I'll work on page 6 and 8 of the prelab, and if I run into a problem I'll come back. Thank you very much.

I'm working on the derivation of the non-inverting Schmitt trigger, and I don't know how to get the formula wikipedia has for V+

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmitt_trigger#Non-inverting_Schmitt_trigger

This phrase ''For instance, if the Schmitt trigger is currently in the high state, the output will be at the positive power supply rail (+VS). The output voltage V+ of the resistive summer can be found by applying the superposition theorem:''

Once I can get to that point then I can solve the rest I think.

Edit: Here is my attempt

Attachments

• threshold voltage derivation.pdf
    230.6 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Also, I'm doing page 6 of the lab and I have no idea what the circuit is supposed to look like for the comparator. They don't say where the resistors should be placed, and the image up top doesn't give any indication either. Then they want a relationship between Ra, Rb, and alpha.

Here is at least what I drew as a circuit

Attachments

• supply voltage derivation.pdf
    326.3 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Maylis said:
I'm working on the derivation of the non-inverting Schmitt trigger, and I don't know how to get the formula wikipedia has for V+

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmitt_trigger#Non-inverting_Schmitt_trigger

This phrase ''For instance, if the Schmitt trigger is currently in the high state, the output will be at the positive power supply rail (+VS). The output voltage V+ of the resistive summer can be found by applying the superposition theorem:''

Once I can get to that point then I can solve the rest I think.

Edit: Here is my attempt

At a glance your attempt looks fine. What problem are you having with it?

Maylis said:
Also, I'm doing page 6 of the lab and I have no idea what the circuit is supposed to look like for the comparator. They don't say where the resistors should be placed, and the image up top doesn't give any indication either. Then they want a relationship between Ra, Rb, and alpha.

Here is at least what I drew as a circuit

Your circuit looks fine. I've reproduced it here and extracted the portion of interest:

attachment.php?attachmentid=66582&stc=1&d=1392297280.gif

Now, you are aware that the potential at the V- pin of the op-amp will define the threshold voltage where the comparator output will make the flip between rails. So emply superposition to determine V- from the isolated circuit. You should end up with something of the form

##V- = (something)\cdot V_s##

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 2,074
gneill said:
At a glance your attempt looks fine. What problem are you having with it?

My problem is that I did not derive the expression for V+ on my own, I just took it from wikipedia. How did they arrive at those results to begin with?

Maylis said:
My problem is that I did not derive the expression for V+ on my own, I just took it from wikipedia. How did they arrive at those results to begin with?

They assume that the output of the comparator is currently locked to one of the rails, say -Vs. They then calculate the value of the input Vin that would bring the V+ comparator input to ground potential. Passing though that critical point in the positive direction will make the V+ input positive wioth respect to the V- input and the comparator will then swing its output to the other rail: +Vs.

The calculation can be repeated for the comparator output starting at the other rail, +Vs, and the input voltage dropping through a critical value.

To analyze, replace the op-amp output with a fixed voltage source at the rail value of interest. Find the voltage at the voltage divider formed by R1 and R2. Superposition makes it easy.

1. What is Multisim Op-Amp simulation?

Multisim Op-Amp simulation is a software tool that allows users to simulate the behavior and performance of operational amplifiers (op-amps) in electronic circuits. It is part of the Multisim software suite, which is commonly used in circuit design, analysis, and testing.

2. How does Multisim Op-Amp simulation work?

Multisim Op-Amp simulation uses mathematical models and circuit analysis techniques to simulate the behavior of op-amps in a circuit. Users can input circuit components, such as resistors and capacitors, and test the effects of different parameters on the op-amp's output.

3. What are the benefits of using Multisim Op-Amp simulation?

Multisim Op-Amp simulation allows for quick and accurate analysis of op-amp circuits without the need for physical prototyping. It also provides a visual representation of the circuit and allows for easy modification and testing of different circuit designs.

4. Can Multisim Op-Amp simulation be used for educational purposes?

Yes, Multisim Op-Amp simulation is commonly used in educational settings to teach students about op-amps and circuit design. Its user-friendly interface and simulation capabilities make it a valuable tool for learning about electronics.

5. Are there any limitations to Multisim Op-Amp simulation?

While Multisim Op-Amp simulation is a powerful tool, it is important to note that it is a simulation and may not perfectly reflect the behavior of real-world circuits. It also requires knowledge of circuit design and analysis to effectively use the software.