How does a nebula form from a neutron star

In summary, during the supernova explosion of a star, a large amount of its matter is released. This matter can form a nebula, which is composed of gases expelled from the star during the explosion and its previous giant/supergiant stage. This nebula can also form a shock front when it collides with previously expelled material. Planetary nebulae and supernova remnants have different compositions, with the latter having larger amounts of heavier elements. The pulsar, which can be formed from the supernova explosion, can power its emitted beams of radiation through a kinematical kick or by providing energy against the gravitational force of the nebula. Rotation of the pulsar has a minimal effect on powering the nebula, but it
kdlsw
Here is my understanding, please correct me if I am wrong, thanks
At the end of the giant stage of a star, it experiences a supernova explosion, and turns into a neutron star (could be pulsar) or black hole, the explosion releases a lot of its matter.

Here is what I don't understand:

1 there could be nebula around a pulsar, where does the nebula come from, is it simply the matter released in the supernova explosion? Or it keep releasing from the pulsar?

2 for smaller mass stars, at the end of red giant stage of a star, a planetary nebula forms before it turns into a whit dwarf, is the planetary nebula the same thing as the nebula of a pulsar? only the planetary nebula formed in a less violent way, while the pulsar nebula is formed from supernova explosion?

3 why it is said that the pulsar nebula needs to be powered, by the rotational energy of the pulsar? is this amount of energy used to against the gravitational force of the nebula, to prevent it from collapsing?

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
My understanding of the process is as follows:

1. The nebula is composed of the gases expelled from the star during both the supernova and the previous giant/supergiant stage. In many cases the gases expelled from the supernova will overtake the previously expelled material and form large shock fronts where the collision heats up both materials until they glow.

2. Planetary nebula are generally composed of hydrogen and helium, with trace quantities of other elements. Supernova remnants typically have much larger amounts of heavier elements created in the supernova.

3. I haven't heard of this before. Are you sure you aren't talking about how the pulsar powers its emitted beams of radiation?

Likes 1 person
You have two options here, the pulsar provides a kinematical kick, or powers radiation emissions. The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

Chronos said:
You have two options here, the pulsar provides a kinematical kick, or powers radiation emissions. The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

What exactly is it powering?

Chronos said:

It's the radiation emission, I am wondering how does rotation of the pulsar provides power to the non-touching nebula? by gravity?

Rotation would have an insignificant effect. It would, however, have a significant 'lighthouse' effect.

1. What is a neutron star?

A neutron star is a type of celestial object that is formed when a massive star runs out of fuel and undergoes a supernova explosion. The core of the star collapses under its own gravity, leaving behind a dense, compact remnant made mostly of neutrons.

2. How does a neutron star turn into a nebula?

When a neutron star is formed, it has an extremely high temperature and strong magnetic fields. As the star cools down and its magnetic fields weaken, it releases high-energy particles and radiation into its surroundings. This process, known as pulsar wind, creates a nebula around the neutron star.

3. What is a nebula?

A nebula is a cloud of gas and dust in outer space. It can be formed from the remnants of a dying star, such as a supernova explosion, or it can be the site of new star formation. Nebulas come in a variety of shapes and sizes and can be seen as colorful formations in the night sky.

4. What is the role of gravity in the formation of a nebula from a neutron star?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the formation of a nebula from a neutron star. As the neutron star cools down and releases high-energy particles and radiation, these particles are attracted to the center of the star due to its strong gravitational pull. This creates a nebula around the star as the particles interact with the surrounding gas and dust.

5. How long does it take for a neutron star to turn into a nebula?

The formation of a nebula from a neutron star can take millions of years. It depends on the strength of the star's magnetic fields and the amount of energy it releases. The process can also be affected by the surrounding environment and the presence of other celestial objects, which may slow down or speed up the formation process.