Indefinite Integrals of Scalar and Vector Fields: A Path Independence Dilemma?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of computing indefinite integrals for functions and vector fields. It is mentioned that Stoke's theorem can be used to generate a type of indefinite integral for exact forms, but it only results in a lower dimensional integral. The concept of path independence and the necessity for exact forms in indefinite integrals is also brought up. However, it is ultimately concluded that indefinite path integrals do not exist and the conversation is locked.
Jhenrique
Is possible to compute indefinite integrals of functions wrt its variables, but is possible to compute indefinite integrals of scalar fields and vector fields wrt line, area, surface and volume?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes...I feel like you keep asking this same question, and I keep giving you the same answer. Look at Stoke's theorem:

$$\int_\Omega d\omega = \oint_{\partial \Omega} \omega$$

If we know that ##\eta=d\omega##, then ##\omega## can be thought of as an "anti-derivative" of ##\eta##, we can use the above theorem to generate a type of indefinite integral! Sadly, we get back an lower dimensional integral instead, but that is all that one can hope for as far as "indefinite integrals" work. Also this only works with exact forms, because non-exact forms are not necessarily derivatives of something. There's no way to define an "anti-derivative" if the base object is not the derivative of something.

The closest form of what you want is the Gradient theorem, which I showed you in a previous thread:

$$\int_a^b \vec{\nabla}\phi\cdot d\vec{r}=\phi(b)-\phi(a)$$

Last edited:
Yeah, but I'm talking about a indefinite integral of a vector field! This can exist? This make sense?

So, I'm thinking in something like this:

$$\\ \int \vec{f} \cdot d\vec{r} = \int \vec{\nabla}\phi\cdot d\vec{r}=\phi$$

You tell me. When do you think a path integral makes any sense if you don't specify a path? When do you think a surface integral makes any sense if you don't specify a surface?

Matterwave said:
You tell me. When do you think a path integral makes any sense if you don't specify a path? When do you think a surface integral makes any sense if you don't specify a surface?

No make sense think in a line integral without the line of integration like no make think in the area of integration of a function without the limits of integration. However, make sense think in the indefinite integral of a function, so why would make sense think in the indefinite integral of a field too?

What's the path of integration for a single variable function? Think this one through. You might realize, that a path was chosen for you already without you even thinking about it.

But, independent of exist a geometric interpretation, this equation is true:
$$\\ \int \vec{f} \cdot d\vec{r} = \int \vec{\nabla}\phi\cdot d\vec{r}=\phi$$
?

No, you have to specify the endpoints or else that equation is meaningless.

What is ##\phi##? It's a scalar function right? So it's really ##\phi(x,y,z)##. Now what values of x, y and z are in the ##\phi## on the right? Does it make any sense?

If I change the path of integration, do you agree that the left hand side of that equation will change? Will the right hand side change?

Even in regular integrals. do we say:

$$\int \frac{d f}{dx} dx = f$$

? No we do not. We say:

$$\int \frac{d f}{dx} dx = f+C$$

Why is that C there? Is it necessary? Use your critical thinking. What is the "C" in the equation you posted?

I can't use a critical thinking over a subject that is almost completely obscure for me...

C is a initial condition, or a guaranteed that integral is covering all the set of possibles antiderivatives.

If you are unable to even think critically about a question, it is best to learn a bit more about the subject first before making conjectures. To be honest Jhenrique, not to discourage you or your love of science/math, but a lot of your conjectures seem to make no sense. Perhaps they can lead somewhere if you can at least formulate the questions in a cogent manner.

There's a big book by Arfken and Weber called Mathematical Methods for Physicists (I'm a physicist, so I learn from physics textbooks) that covers basically everything you're worried about. You can use it as a study guide or a reference text. It's quite comprehensive. However, it looks at things from a physicist's perspective, so it's not always 100% rigorous like a math text would be. You might also want to pick up a pure math book on the subject and see where that takes you as well.

Likes 1 person
Jhenrique said:
Yeah, but I'm talking about a indefinite integral of a vector field! This can exist? This make sense?

No, it doesn't. So if you want to discuss this further, you must provide a reference where this thing is defined.

Matterwave said:
If you are unable to even think critically about a question, it is best to learn a bit more about the subject first before making conjectures. To be honest Jhenrique, not to discourage you or your love of science/math, but a lot of your conjectures seem to make no sense. Perhaps they can lead somewhere if you can at least formulate the questions in a cogent manner.

There's a big book by Arfken and Weber called Mathematical Methods for Physicists (I'm a physicist, so I learn from physics textbooks) that covers basically everything you're worried about. You can use it as a study guide or a reference text. It's quite comprehensive. However, it looks at things from a physicist's perspective, so it's not always 100% rigorous like a math text would be. You might also want to pick up a pure math book on the subject and see where that takes you as well.

When is about vector and tensor calculus my doubts are exponentially big... :(

More one thing... indefinite integrals requires (implicitly or not) path independence? In other words, only is possible to compute indefinite integrals of exact form?

Jhenrique said:
When is about vector and tensor calculus my doubts are exponentially big... :(

More one thing... indefinite integrals requires (implicitly or not) path independence? In other words, only is possible to compute indefinite integrals of exact form?

Like I said, there is no such thing as indefinite path integrals.

Thread locked.

1. What is an indefinite integral of fields?

An indefinite integral of fields is a mathematical concept used in physics to represent the total amount of energy or other physical quantity in a given region of space. It is calculated by finding the antiderivative of a given function, which describes the behavior of the field at each point in space.

2. How is an indefinite integral of fields different from a definite integral?

The main difference between an indefinite and a definite integral is the inclusion of limits of integration. In a definite integral, the limits are specified and the resulting value is a single number. In an indefinite integral, the limits are not specified, and the resulting value is a function that describes the entire field.

3. What is the physical significance of an indefinite integral of fields?

An indefinite integral of fields represents the total amount of a physical quantity (such as energy or electric charge) in a given region of space. This can be used to calculate the behavior of the field at any point within that region, and can also be used to calculate the flow of the field between different regions.

4. How is an indefinite integral of fields used in real-world applications?

Indefinite integrals of fields have numerous applications in physics and engineering. They are used to calculate the potential energy in a gravitational or electric field, the work done by a force, and the charge or current flowing through a circuit. They are also used in the study of fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and other fields of physics.

5. What are some common techniques for evaluating indefinite integrals of fields?

Some common techniques for evaluating indefinite integrals of fields include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. These techniques involve manipulating the given function to make it easier to integrate, and then using standard integration rules to find the antiderivative. In some cases, it may also be necessary to use numerical methods or computer software to evaluate the integral.