Lie Brackets and Parallelograms

• Thread starter Pond Dragon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's summer research project, in which they realized they lacked understanding of structures on smooth manifolds and turned to Spivak's book for help. They are currently working through the concept of the Lie derivative and provided an example on ##\mathbb{RP}^3## to build understanding. The conversation also includes a calculation of the vector fields and their flows, as well as a mistake that was later corrected. The question at the end asks about the behavior of the flow of the Lie bracket and if it can close the "parallelogram" discussed in Spivak's book.
Pond Dragon
I finally finished my big summer research project. Reviewing how it went, it is clear to me that I lack an understanding of many structures on smooth manifolds. I decided to pull out my old copy of Spivak's A Comprehensive Introduction to Differential Geometry, Volume 1.

I'm currently working through the concept of the Lie derivative, which I don't actually remember from before. I decided that, to build understanding, I'd do a simple example on ##\mathbb{RP}^3##.

Fix a chart ##x:\{(p^1,p^2,p^3,p^4)\in\mathbb{R}^4~\vert~p^4\neq 0\}/\sim\,\to\mathbb{R}^3,~[p^1,p^2,p^3,p^4]\mapsto (\frac{p^1}{p^4},\frac{p^2}{p^4},\frac{p^3}{p^4})##, where ##\sim## is an equivalence relation defined by ##v \sim \lambda v##, for ##v\in\mathbb{R}^4## and ##\lambda\in\mathbb{R}##. This notation is used in Manfredo do Carmo's Riemannian Geometry. Consider vector fields ##X=\frac{\partial}{\partial x^1}## and ##Y=x^2\frac{\partial}{\partial x^1}+x^1\frac{\partial}{\partial x^3}##.

I calculated ##[X,Y]=\frac{\partial}{\partial x^3}##, and calculated the flows as $$\phi^X_t(p)=x^{-1}(t+x^1(p),x^2(p),x^3(p)) \\ \phi^Y_t(p)=x^{-1}(tx^2(p)+x^1(p),x^2(p),tx^1(p)+x^3(p)).$$

This makes the composition ##\phi^Y_{-t}\circ\phi^X_{-t}\circ\phi^Y_t\circ\phi^X_t(p)=x^{-1}(x^1(p),x^2(p),t^2(1-x^2(p))+x^3(p))##. The flow ##\phi^{[X,Y]}_t(p)=x^{-1}(x^1(p),x^2(p),t+x^3(p))## completes this "parallelogram" thing that Spivak talks about by the composition $$\phi^{[X,Y]}_{-t^2(1-x^2(p))}\circ\phi^Y_{-t}\circ\phi^X_{-t}\circ\phi^Y_t\circ\phi^X_t(p)=p.$$

Questions: Does this always happen? Can we then think of the flow of the Lie bracket as something that will close this "parallelogram"? If so, in what way?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I made a small mistake.

$$\phi^Y_{-t}\circ\phi^X_{-t}\circ\phi^Y_t\circ\phi^X_t(p)=x^{-1}(x^1(p),x^2(p),t^2+x^3(p)).$$

I apologize.

What are Lie brackets and parallelograms?

Lie brackets and parallelograms are concepts in mathematics and physics that involve the operation of taking the commutator of two vector fields or operators. The result of this operation is a new vector field or operator, which is known as the Lie bracket. Parallelograms, on the other hand, are geometric shapes that have two pairs of parallel sides.

What is the significance of Lie brackets and parallelograms in science?

Lie brackets and parallelograms play a crucial role in many areas of science, including mathematics, physics, and engineering. In mathematics, they are used to study the properties and behavior of vector fields and operators. In physics, they are used to describe the dynamics of physical systems, such as particles and fields. In engineering, they are used to design and analyze complex systems, such as control systems and circuits.

How are Lie brackets and parallelograms related?

Lie brackets and parallelograms are related through the concept of the Lie bracket operation. This operation can be visualized using parallelograms, where the sides of the parallelogram represent the vector fields or operators involved in the operation. The area of the parallelogram is then equal to the magnitude of the resulting Lie bracket. This geometric interpretation helps to understand the properties and applications of Lie brackets.

What are some real-world applications of Lie brackets and parallelograms?

Lie brackets and parallelograms have many real-world applications in various fields. In physics, they are used to study the behavior of particles and fields in quantum mechanics and relativity. In engineering, they are used in control theory, robotics, and signal processing. In mathematics, they are used to study differential equations, topology, and group theory. These are just a few examples, and their applications are extensive and diverse.

Are there any limitations to using Lie brackets and parallelograms?

Like any mathematical or scientific concept, there are limitations to using Lie brackets and parallelograms. They are most useful in the study of smooth and continuous systems, but they may not apply to discrete or discontinuous systems. Additionally, the results of the Lie bracket operation may not always be intuitive or easy to interpret, especially in higher dimensions. However, these limitations do not diminish the importance and usefulness of Lie brackets and parallelograms in science.