Talking to things that are not human

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human
In summary: I'm sure as the years go on people will experiment more with this sort of thing. In summary, I talk to my pets and plants and other inanimate objects. I think women are usually wired for more communication than men.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Do you talk to your dog or cat as if they were a person? Do you think that they understand you; to what extent? How about the bird or hamster...or the goldfish? :uhh: Plants? The computer? The cars? Paint cans? Centerfolds?

Physics news on Phys.org
I shout obscenities at my computer when it aint working too well.

Sure I talk to my cats and dog, which is actually more vocalization since they prefer to use their native language rather than English :biggrin: . Our male cut, my buddy Chester, is quite vocal, especially around meal time, but also when he comes to bed. He likes to rub faces with me whenever he gets on the bed.

Our female cat, Misty, is relatively quiet, but she does meow at mealtimes and other times just of the blue. But I talk to her and she comes to me for a rub.

I ask our Yorkie, Sassy, if she wants 'to go out' or if she is 'hungry' and now she is trained to those cues.

We chirp and whistle with the parakeet, Peter, who sings.

I don't talk to plants, but I do spend quality time with them. :biggrin:

I don't take to inanimate objects, but I do swear sometimes, or I make some immovable thing move. Which reminds me I fractured a 17 mm socket this weekend working on the brakes of the car.

We would ask our dogs whether the coffee was ready yet (is de koffie dan al klaar?!) when we would come home after a trip, the dogs would go completely mad and start jumping all over the place :rofl:

Our siamese, Elvis, is very vocal. I can swear I hear inflections in his meows to get his points across. We definitely understand each other.

Oh gosh yes...excuse me a second, my shoes are asking me a question.

Okay, I'm back...uh, I forgot the topic...Oh yeah, talking to things that are not human. Sure, doesn't everyone? :biggrin:

Last edited:
I speak both cat and dog fluently, and I'm working on bird. I talk to my plants, and make sure my trees know that they are well respected for there age and wisdom.

Nearly everyday I sit and invent replies to completely inanimate paragraphs that appear out of nowhere on the internet.

I talk to myself all the time, is that human?

I mostly just talk to my self too. I had a girlfriend tell me that it isn't normal until she realized that she did it too. So I told her that talking to yourself and not realizing it is what isn't normal. :biggrin:

I talk to animals. I don't think I have had one really understand me though except for when I tell a dog to sit or something of that sort. The cat talks to me. The only things it says that I understand are "I want attention" and "I'm hungry". That's about all it says too.

I gave it up when I had kids.

I think we're wired to do a certain amount of talking every day, and I think women are wired for more than men.

When I had a baby, I started talking to the baby. When she started talking back, "why?" "why?" "why?" "why?" "why?" "why?" "why?" "why?" "why?" "why?"

... I ran out of words real quick. None to spare on the odd skillet or car anymore. I do occasionally talk to the radio, if it's being really stupid. I occasionally talk to drivers in other cars, particularly if they have certain bumper stickers.

well of course i talk to my pets, and most of my plants, especially Jesus my venus fly trap. At camp, i talked to a fish shaped lollipop. I discovered that he was french, and that his name was francisco. he was a ring pop, so i wore him all day, and francisco and i would chit chat with the campers. they adored him. we ended up writing a son about him. "this is a story bout a little french fish, who lived on me finger and 'e give french kiss" it was really cute!

i also have a little einstein doll that i chat with when there's no other intelligent conversation around.

but other than that, i never talk to non-human things.

I talk to my pets all the time (guinea pigs and fish). I know damn well they don't understand, so I guess I'm really talking to myself, but giving the impression of company.

In response to "Do you believe they can understand you" I believe that animals, namely dogs, can. Not in the literal sense, but a dog is fully capable of understanding tone, after all dog's barks are mainly based on tone. There's an angry bark, a sad whimper, a "Pay attention to me!" bark. I don't know of any scientific studies on them, but it seems perfectly reasonable to assume that a dog understands when you're angry with it.

Ivan Seeking said:
Do you talk to your dog or cat as if they were a person? Do you think that they understand you; to what extent? How about the bird or hamster...or the goldfish? :uhh: Plants? The computer? The cars? Paint cans? Centerfolds?

I have highly engaging discussions with my desk. He brings up some good points.

Smurf said:
In response to "Do you believe they can understand you" I believe that animals, namely dogs, can. Not in the literal sense, but a dog is fully capable of understanding tone, after all dog's barks are mainly based on tone. There's an angry bark, a sad whimper, a "Pay attention to me!" bark. I don't know of any scientific studies on them, but it seems perfectly reasonable to assume that a dog understands when you're angry with it.

Wonder what would happen if you said "I LOVE YOU *dogs name*" in a real pissed off tone

Pengwuino said:
Wonder what would happen if you said "I LOVE YOU *dogs name*" in a real pissed off tone

My (scottish) great uncle has a dog that will bark in an annoyed way if you yell "Damned English!" at it.
(Actually, it will bark if you yell the word 'damned' in an annoyed tone, no matter what you follow it with. "damned English is just his preferred example.)

I talk to the cat, but most of the time she just stares at me looking confused :frown:.

My dog has distinct sounds she makes when there are animals in the yard. A kind of high excited yippy bark we call her "bunny bark" is reserved for rabbits, a low throaty growl is reserved for cats, a more forward sounding bark is for possums. I can tell by the bark what kind of animal is in the yard.

Also, if we just say the word cat, raven, ax murderer, or squirrel, she will growl.

While walking her, if we say, "Get the cat!" she starts moving faster and looking around for a cat.

She is very smart and very accutely tuned to tone of voice.

To give you an idea of just how smart this dog is, my wife taught her to tell her right side from her left (I can't even do that half the time :smile:). She puts a treat on both of her paws and tells her which one to take. The dog thinks a second then takes the correct one!

My cousin's dogs (one husky, one border collie) could understand words like "food" and "walk" so they got excited upon hearing them. Mimi the cat understands positive feelings when talked to in a smooth, soothing voice, praising her qualities. Usually she is anxious about everything and keeps an uptight posture, but when someone talks to her so, she literally melts on the spot.

I MEOW at my cat and he meows back- I also coo at pigeons- caw at crows- bark and whine at my neighbor's dogs- and quack at the ducks in golden gate park across the street from my apt- back in the old 5.25" disk drive days I used to try and make the same clicks and whirs the drive made when it was unhappy-

I prefer to go native (^___^)

Pengwuino said:

I communicate with my dog solely through tone. Just for fun, I'll say "Max, you're the worst dog that's ever lived and I wish you would die," but I'll say it really nicely and he'll come over and jump on me and I'll pet him. We also communicate through hand signals. Instead of calling him to come over or go a certain place, if he can see me, I'll just point at him and then point at where I want him to go.

I find pets understand hand gestures better than speeches. Especially when there is food in your hand :D

loseyourname said:
We also communicate through hand signals. Instead of calling him to come over or go a certain place, if he can see me, I'll just point at him and then point at where I want him to go.
Yes, but what are his hand signals to you?

I talk to myself occasionally; does that count?

arildno said:
I talk to myself occasionally; does that count?
:rofl: What about people who talk to you for example in GD? :uhh:

1. What is "talking to things that are not human"?

"Talking to things that are not human" refers to the act of communicating with non-human entities, such as animals, plants, or even inanimate objects. This can include speaking, signing, or using other forms of communication to interact with these beings.

2. Is it possible to talk to things that are not human?

While it may not be possible to have a traditional conversation with non-human entities, many scientists and researchers believe that it is possible to communicate with them in some form. Some animals, for example, have been shown to understand and respond to human language and gestures.

3. Why would someone want to talk to things that are not human?

People may want to communicate with non-human entities for a variety of reasons. Some may be interested in understanding the intelligence and abilities of these beings, while others may be seeking companionship or a deeper connection with the natural world.

4. How can talking to things that are not human benefit us?

Research on communication with non-human entities has the potential to improve our understanding of the world around us and how different species interact with each other. It may also lead to advancements in technology and medicine, as some animals have unique abilities that could be harnessed for human use.

5. Are there any risks involved in talking to things that are not human?

There may be some risks involved in communicating with non-human entities, such as misinterpretation or misunderstanding of intentions. It is important to approach these interactions with caution and respect for the beings involved, as well as following ethical guidelines for research and communication with animals and other non-human entities.