Troubleshooting Audio and Graphics Issues on Your Computer

In summary: There's a good chance that the problem is with the sound card, and you should try updating the drivers. If that doesn't work, then it's possible that the sound card is damaged and you'll need to buy a new one.
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
One day, when I got home, my computer started developing these symptoms:

Whenever any sound is sent to the speakers, a layer of static is also sent.

Icons and images (particularly the mouse cursor and system tray icons) are being distorted with an assortment of cyan and magenta pixels (mostly cyan). While I can't discern a pattern to the pixels, they certainly don't appear like they're totally random.

Any idea what could be causing this and how to fix it?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Hurkyl
Sounds like either bad RAM or a bad DMA controller.

Try running some memory diagnostics on it.

- Warren

Does WinXP come with such a tool, or will I have to DL one?

Another interesting thing I've discovered; Opera displays all images fine (even ones to which I've zoomed), but windows picture viewer messes up the image (with white and dark cyan dots, clustered into lines) when I zoom in.

Also, most window .wav files are playing normally, only some are staticy.

You might consider using the Restore feature that comes bundled with winXP.

Try formatting. It always seems to fix window's problems.

Most likely though it is a hardware problem, either with memory or some motherboard issue.

Originally posted by dduardo
Try formatting. It always seems to fix window's problems.

Good one, dduardo

In any case, it's probably not hardware?

If it isn't a hardware problem, there is always time to switch

<---------------

Ok, some joyous problems:

(a) I was doing something (which I don't remember what it was) that required me to turn off system restore... I forgot to turn it back on. :frown:

(b) When I bought my computer from CompUSA, it had the WinXP installer already on the harddrive, and I did not get a Windows CD.

I've been wanting to reformat for a while now, but I've been too lazy to contact CompUSA to get a CD or instructions on what I'd need to do...

Oh, and I can't switch over to Linux because I am (or at least used to be) an avid game player, so nyah!

I really hate how computer manufactures aren't giving a real windows cd anymore with new systems. Crappy good for nothing restore disks. Arrgh

Hurkyl, here is a tip, do what I do, download a copy.

Well, I'm poking around on the mysterious D drive where Windows keeps it's restore stuff and other information, and there's a directory called "PRELOAD", and it has some files named "CDx" where x is a number from 0 to 4, and it has a lot of .INP files and some other miscillaneous stuff...

So I would surmise the stuff I need to reformat / reinstall windows is here, I just don't know how to do it; I haven't found any suggestive .exe or .bat files on this drive yet. :frown:

Hurkyl,

On the chance (& it sounds like a fairly good chance) that those CDx files contain everything that came preloaded on your C drive, you should try to burn copies of them onto CDs before you do anything else. Better yet, if that computer is on a LAN, copy them to another computer first, & then put them on CDs.

Well, the cdx files are small (106 bytes) and just contain a directory name: c:\Master\BOOTDIST\BOOT-XP\PRELOAD\Cx\PRELOAD\Cx

Given the arrangement of the files, these appear to be indexing information...

But the rest of the directory is 2 GB of what appears to be archives (datax.inp, base_x.inp)... whatever I do I'll backup this directory first.

Beyond that, unless you have a manual, or find someone who's familiar with CompUSA sytems, you'll probably have to call or write their tech support for help.

I haven't seen anything on an HP or Dell system like what you're describing.

Originally posted by Hurkyl
One day, when I got home, my computer started developing these symptoms:

Whenever any sound is sent to the speakers, a layer of static is also sent.

Icons and images (particularly the mouse cursor and system tray icons) are being distorted with an assortment of cyan and magenta pixels (mostly cyan). While I can't discern a pattern to the pixels, they certainly don't appear like they're totally random.

Can you hear any sound at all? or does the static just completely takes control?

What kind of sound card are you using? have you tried updating the drivers?

1. What is computer troubleshooting?

Computer troubleshooting is the process of identifying and resolving issues with a computer or its components. It involves diagnosing the problem, finding a solution, and implementing it to fix the issue.

2. Why is computer troubleshooting important?

Computer troubleshooting is important because it allows users to fix technical problems on their own, saving time and money. It also helps prevent future issues and ensures the smooth operation of a computer.

3. What are some common computer troubleshooting techniques?

Some common computer troubleshooting techniques include restarting the computer, checking for updates, running system scans, and checking hardware connections. It is also helpful to research the specific issue and follow step-by-step guides or seek professional help if needed.

4. How can I prevent computer troubleshooting issues?

To prevent computer troubleshooting issues, it is important to regularly maintain and update your computer's software and hardware. Avoid downloading suspicious files or programs, and make sure to properly shut down your computer when not in use.

5. When should I seek professional help for computer troubleshooting?

If you are unable to fix the issue on your own, or if the issue is beyond your technical expertise, it is best to seek professional help for computer troubleshooting. This can save time and prevent further damage to the computer.