Efficiency: Work, Limits, and Zeno's Paradoxes

In summary, increasing efforts to improve efficiency result in geometrically decreasing results. This principle is discussed in relation to economics, where it is explained that seeking to extract easy profits first causes an increase in effort and a decrease in return.
Phil Henshaw
I think the 2nd law of thermodynamics, which places limits on the efficiency of thermal engines, can also be interpreted as saying increasing efforts to improve efficiency result in geometrically decreasing results. I can't find that stated, though. I suppose it's just the first derivative of something, but I'm real rusty on that and don't see quite how to do it. Is that worked out somewhere?

What I'm also looking for is any discussion on the broader principle, consistent with the above, that in exploiting any opportunity it's inevitable that you do the easy parts first and if you want to get more out of the 'same' thing, all that's available are the harder parts. Like in polishing a mirror. Going from 100 grit to 1000 grit to 10000 grit is the way to get a nice shine but each step is lots more work, to move less and less material, and the task approaches a natural point of phsical refusal, unattainable perfection.

I've been thinging about it as one of the rare general cases where Zeno's paradoxes actually do apply, and wondering how to tell all the good folks who are talking about removing growth limits with it the bad news...

Anyone know of a discussion on any part of this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what your asking.

Phil Henshaw said:
I think the 2nd law of thermodynamics, which places limits on the efficiency of thermal engines, can also be interpreted as saying increasing efforts to improve efficiency result in geometrically decreasing results.
I do not understand this part. How do you quantify effort?

Claude.

Yes, I recall defining measures as being one of the problems with it discussed before, and it may be why I can't find any literature on it. The closest I can come is that the measure of effort is relative to prior measures of work on the same task. For example, in economics you seek to maximize return, and extract the easy profit first. Then it takes more effort (cost) to extract profit from what you had previously thought of as waste (exploiting efficiencies). As you do that over and over your effort increases and your return decreases. It makes perfect sense that sipping oil from big pools is naturally easier than moving your equipment from one little pool to another, and that's exactly what always happens toward the limits of maximizing any resource. Then going back to sip the last drops from all your large and small abandoned oil fields requires a still higher level of effort. Since that defines a scale, it gives you a measure.

That pattern has a distinct thermodynamic inefficiency character, and is sure obvious and determinitive of behavior in virtually any kind of task, but I can't find a general discussion of it. See what I'm gettin at?

1. What is the concept of efficiency?

The concept of efficiency is a measure of how well a task or process is completed. It is often defined as the ratio of output to input, and can be applied to various aspects of work and production.

2. How does efficiency relate to work?

In the context of work, efficiency refers to how much output (such as goods or services) can be produced with a given amount of input (such as time, resources, or labor). A higher level of efficiency means that more work is being done with less effort or resources.

3. What is the limit in relation to efficiency?

The limit in relation to efficiency refers to the maximum level of efficiency that can be achieved for a given task or process. This is often influenced by various factors such as technology, skill level, and resources, and can be improved upon by identifying and overcoming any barriers to efficiency.

4. What is Zeno's paradox and how does it relate to efficiency?

Zeno's paradox is a philosophical concept that explores the idea of motion and change. One of his famous paradoxes is the dichotomy paradox, which states that in order to reach a destination, one must first travel half the distance, and then half of the remaining distance, and so on. This paradox relates to efficiency in that it highlights the idea of infinite divisibility and the concept of reaching a limit or end point.

5. How can efficiency be improved?

Efficiency can be improved through various strategies such as streamlining processes, utilizing technology and automation, improving communication and collaboration, and identifying and addressing any obstacles or inefficiencies in the workflow. It is an ongoing process that requires continuous evaluation and improvement.