Solve Challenging Physics Question: Block + Bullet UP Motion

• Thread starter Willtd
  • Start date
In summary: If you cannot follow these simple rules, you might want to consider finding a different forum to post in.
Willtd
This question is one i got from uni. i just can't seem to get the right answers. Please post your worked solutions, i will tell you if you get the answer found on my sheet. Best of luck Guys, you might need it.

A 3.00 kg block of wood is suspended at rest by a thin thread attached to a supporting beam. A bullet of mass 32.0 g is fired vertica1ly upwards with velocity 415 m/s into the wood directly above it. The block and the bullet inside it move upwards together.

1 Determine the speed of the upward moving block and bullet immediately after the collision.
2 Calculate the total kinetic energy of the block and bullet immediately after the collision.

3 Calculate the maximum height the block and bullet reach.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a straightforward homework problem to me! :wink:

Why don't you show what you've done so far?

Welcome to the Forums Willtd,

According to our forum guidelines, one is expected to show one's own efforts before asking for help. So if you post your attempted solution, we might be able to show you where've you've gone wrong.

In addition, we have dedicated Homework & Coursework forums for such questions.

Edit: The Doc Strikes again.

Do you think you are some kind of a professor? hehe

Please obey the guidelines of these forums.

My Attempt

I got it! Here is a solution for anybody who wants it. :)

1. m1v1 = m2v2
.032x415 = 3.032v
v = 4.379

2. Total Ke = 0.5 x m x v^2
= 0.5x 3.032x4.38^2
= 29.1
3. v^2 = u^2 +2as
v (final speed) = 0
s = sqrt [(4.38^2) / (2x9.8)]
= 0.98m

hehe.. are you joking with us? :)

Yeh man ur cool

malawi_glenn said:
hehe.. are you joking with us? :)

Maybe you should help next time m8 :D

Willtd said:
Maybe you should help next time m8 :D

1. you did not show us your work so far

2. You wished us good luck, and said that we would need it.

That is not an attitude that I and others don't like. There is a guideline here that states that you shall show us work done so far, so we can HELP, not just solve the problem for you. That is probably why no one helped you this time, and you will meet much much more difficult problems than this one in the future...

1. What is the formula for solving a challenging physics question involving a block and a bullet in upward motion?

The formula for solving this type of question is based on the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of energy. The equation is: m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1 + m2)v, where m1 and m2 are the masses of the block and bullet respectively, v1 and v2 are their initial velocities, and v is their final velocity after the collision.

2. How do you determine the direction of the final velocity of the block after the collision with the bullet?

The direction of the final velocity of the block can be determined by considering the direction of the initial velocities of the block and the bullet, as well as the direction of the force applied by the bullet on the block during the collision. The final velocity will be in the same direction as the net force acting on the block.

3. Can the block and bullet have the same final velocity after the collision?

Yes, it is possible for the block and bullet to have the same final velocity after the collision. This can happen if the masses of the block and bullet are equal and their initial velocities are also equal, resulting in a perfectly elastic collision.

4. What factors can affect the final velocity of the block after the collision?

The final velocity of the block after the collision can be affected by the masses of the block and bullet, their initial velocities, and the type of collision (elastic or inelastic). The angle of the initial velocities and the coefficient of restitution (for elastic collisions) can also impact the final velocity.

5. How can you check if your answer to a challenging physics question involving a block and a bullet in upward motion is correct?

One way to check if your answer is correct is by using the principles of conservation of momentum and energy. If your calculations are correct, the total momentum and energy before and after the collision should be equal. It is also helpful to double check your calculations and ensure that all units are consistent throughout.