Could i construct a small particle accelerator with the resources of

In summary, a 9th grader is considering constructing a particle accelerator for an independent project. He is smart and could probably handle the math, but wants to avoid the legal troubles associated with ionizing radiation.
PHYSICS!!!:-)
a ninth grader? I am a 9th grader in the IB program (International Baccalaureate) and i am deeply fascinated by Michio Kaku and his betatron particel accelerator. I am VERY interested in Physics, especially particle physics. I want to construct a particle accelerator, for an independent project. I would have a lot of resources at my disposal, ( a vacuum pump, etc..) The proposed accelerator would be roughly 4-6 feet in diameter, nothing BIG. Is it even logical for me to attempt this? Or am i reaching for goals too advance for my age? Being in the IB program ( a prep program), i am very smart(not to brag), so i could probably handle the math(with help). Could i do this?

thanks for answering! :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
yes, but isn't that a ray tube? not a particle accelerator...(i.e. atom smasher)

A lot depends on the purpose of the accelerator. Electrons are particles - hence, particle accelerator. If you are trying to accelerate protons, it's a tad more difficult, not just technically but also legally.

Almost any particle accelerator is capable of producing ionizing radiation. Depending on how much radiation and the energy of the radiation, you might have to register your machine with a state regulatory agency, which, depending on your state, can be both expensive as well as difficult without proper training in the hazards of ionizing radiation.

Now, as Russ said, you can do just as well with a machine (like a tv set which in essence is a type of particle accelerator, albeit an innocuous one) that accelerates electrons, just not to a high enough energy to cause ionizing radiation.

daveb said:
A lot depends on the purpose of the accelerator. Electrons are particles - hence, particle accelerator. If you are trying to accelerate protons, it's a tad more difficult, not just technically but also legally.

Almost any particle accelerator is capable of producing ionizing radiation. Depending on how much radiation and the energy of the radiation, you might have to register your machine with a state regulatory agency, which, depending on your state, can be both expensive as well as difficult without proper training in the hazards of ionizing radiation.

Now, as Russ said, you can do just as well with a machine (like a tv set which in essence is a type of particle accelerator, albeit an innocuous one) that accelerates electrons, just not to a high enough energy to cause ionizing radiation.

well, i looke di tup, and i am thinking more along the lines of a cyclotron, or synchrotron...i don't want the legal troubles...

1. Could I construct a small particle accelerator with the resources of a high school science lab?

It is highly unlikely that a high school science lab would have the resources necessary to construct a functioning particle accelerator. These machines require advanced technology and specialized equipment that is typically only found in research facilities or universities.

2. What are the main components needed to construct a particle accelerator?

The main components needed to construct a particle accelerator include a vacuum chamber, a source of particles, a series of magnets to steer the particles, and a detector to measure the results of the experiment. Other components may include radiofrequency cavities, power supplies, and control systems.

3. How much would it cost to build a small particle accelerator?

The cost of building a particle accelerator can vary greatly depending on the size and complexity of the machine. A small, homemade accelerator could cost a few thousand dollars, while a larger, more powerful machine could cost millions of dollars. Additionally, the ongoing maintenance and operation costs of a particle accelerator can also be significant.

4. Can a particle accelerator be used for practical applications?

Yes, particle accelerators have a wide range of practical applications in fields such as medicine, industry, and energy. They are used to produce medical isotopes for cancer treatment, sterilize medical equipment, and create new materials for industrial use. They are also used in research to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the universe.

5. What are the potential risks of constructing a particle accelerator?

One potential risk of constructing a particle accelerator is the high levels of radiation that are produced. This can be harmful to both humans and the environment, so proper safety protocols and shielding must be in place. There is also a risk of malfunction or accidents, which could result in damage to the equipment or injury to personnel. Additionally, the cost and resources involved in constructing and operating a particle accelerator should also be carefully considered before undertaking such a project.