Maximizing Efficiency in Microsoft Office Programs: Advanced Tips and Tricks

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Excel
In summary, there are no specific guides on how to get the most out of Microsoft Office programs, but there are plenty of tutorials and help available on how to use them. The best way to learn how to use these programs is to simply experiment and Google any questions you have.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Does anyone know of any good guides on getting the most out of the programs that typically come with Microsoft Office? And not things like "How do I make a chart?", but something a little more advanced like a sort of "mail merge" between data on a spreadsheet and a word document "template". For example last week I wanted to create current grade printouts for my students which involved having a word document where I could put their name and a little guide to calculating their grade. However I had to manually copy and paste the row of grades from the excel spreadsheet I have and print them 1 by 1. What a pain.

Are there any guides to really getting the most out of programs like these? Hmm, a guide to powerpoint would be nice too... putting videos on a power point reliably.. I like that idea too! I notice so many options in all these programs yet I have no idea how to use them...

Microsofts help isn't of much use...

Computer science news on Phys.org
google is normally the best thing for problems like mail merge

This is probably not what you want, but I have found that its just best to mess around on each program and google each point that you need help with. Either that or use the help & tutorials that come with office.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lisa! said:
Does anyone know how to calculate the area under a curve in Excel? I want some method that would give me a more precise answer than http://www.ehow.com/how_5130583_calculate-area-under-curve-excel.html"(this uses Trendline Equation to calcuate it!)

Should be not that difficult to generate a function for that, as I did here in the d-column. This calculates the area exactly, when assuming that there is a straight line in between the datapoints

Attachments

• calc-area.xls
    21 KB · Views: 221
Last edited by a moderator:
Andre said:
Should be not that difficult to generate a function for that, as I did here in the d-column. This calculates the area exactly, when assuming that there is a straight line in between the datapoints

Thanks!:smile:

1. What is Excel/Word/Etc.?

Excel and Word are computer programs that are part of the Microsoft Office suite. They are used for creating and editing spreadsheets (Excel) and documents (Word).

2. How do I use Excel/Word/Etc.?

The best way to learn how to use Excel, Word, or any other program is to practice. You can also find tutorials and guides online or take a class to learn the basics and advanced features.

3. Can I use Excel/Word/Etc. for free?

No, Microsoft Office programs are not free. However, there are free alternatives available such as Google Sheets and Google Docs, which offer similar features.

4. What is the difference between Excel and Word?

Excel is used for creating and manipulating spreadsheets, while Word is used for creating and editing documents. Excel is more commonly used for data analysis and calculations, while Word is used for writing and formatting text.

5. Are there shortcuts for using Excel/Word/Etc.?

Yes, there are many keyboard shortcuts that can help you work more efficiently in Excel, Word, and other programs. You can also customize your own shortcuts to fit your needs.