Relationship between mass and surface temperature of a star

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential relationship between mass and temperature in calculating the surface temperature of a blue super giant star with a mass of 24 solar masses. It is suggested that the formula T = T(sol)*M0.5 can be used, but it may not be accurate for O class stars. Other factors such as spectral class and luminosity may also play a role in determining surface temperature. Ultimately, it is concluded that there is no clear relationship between mass and temperature for non-main sequence stars and more information would be needed to accurately calculate the surface temperature of a blue super giant star.
jewfro420
i was wondering if there is a relationship between mass and temperature that would allow me to calculate the surface temperature of a blue super giant of 24 solar masses?

or do i simply need more information to do this

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think you would need to know things like age of the star, makeup of the star, and similar stuff.

jewfro420 said:
i was wondering if there is a relationship between mass and temperature that would allow me to calculate the surface temperature of a blue super giant of 24 solar masses?

or do i simply need more information to do this

It's roughly T = T(sol)*M0.5 with M in solar masses.

qraal said:
It's roughly T = T(sol)*M0.5 with M in solar masses.
By using T = 5,778 * 24^0.5
I get 28,306 K, which is slightly outside the 30,000 K - 52,000 K range for O class stars.
So either I didn't use it right, or it doesn't work for O class stars.

Probably what will be an important factor in determining surface temp is the spectral class (O B A F G K M), and luminosity.

24 solar masses is enormous. This is more than Rigel; it's looking like something like Alnitak. Which, by the way, is around 30K. Getting within 10% with a hand-wavy formula is pretty good.

Am I incorrect in thinking that age, metal content, and other various factors would affect the stars temp as well?

so basically i think that there is no relationship between mass and temperature for non main sequence stars so this can't be done. cheers for your help anyways

jewfro420 said:
so basically i think that there is no relationship between mass and temperature for non main sequence stars so this can't be done. cheers for your help anyways
There might be a correlation between brightness/magnitude/luminosity and temperature, but that's just my guess.

1. What is the relationship between mass and surface temperature of a star?

The relationship between mass and surface temperature of a star can be described by the Mass-Luminosity Relation. This relation states that the luminosity (amount of energy emitted) of a star is directly proportional to its mass. The more massive a star is, the higher its surface temperature will be.

2. How does a star's mass affect its surface temperature?

A star's mass affects its surface temperature because the more massive a star is, the greater the gravitational force acting on its core. This leads to higher pressures and temperatures at the core, causing nuclear fusion reactions to occur, which release large amounts of energy and heat up the star's surface.

3. Can a star's surface temperature change over time?

Yes, a star's surface temperature can change over time. As a star ages and burns through its fuel, its core contracts and its surface temperature increases. This is known as the main sequence phase. However, after this phase, the outer layers of the star may expand and cool, causing a decrease in surface temperature.

4. Is there a maximum or minimum surface temperature for stars?

Yes, there is a maximum and minimum surface temperature for stars. The hottest stars, known as O-type stars, can have surface temperatures of over 50,000 Kelvin, while the coolest stars, known as M-type stars, can have surface temperatures as low as 2,000 Kelvin.

5. What other factors besides mass can affect a star's surface temperature?

Besides mass, a star's age, chemical composition, and distance from other stars can also affect its surface temperature. Older stars tend to have cooler surface temperatures, while younger stars have higher temperatures. Stars with higher amounts of heavier elements tend to have higher surface temperatures, and a star's proximity to other stars can also impact its temperature due to gravitational interactions and energy transfer.