Why is the world scarier at night?

• Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
In summary: I was camping in the woods and it was around 2 or 3 in the morning. I was getting ready to go to bed when I heard a noise coming from the other side of the campsite. It sounded like someone was trying to break into a tool shed. I got out my gun and made my way over to the shed, but there was nothing there. Just a large black bear. I am not sure Char refers to reading in the dark.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
Although the topic title probably explains it all, allow me to elaborate.

There are many things that I can read at, say, 3 PM, and they aren't scary at all. I'd list an example or two here, but I'm not sure that's necessary. However, the same things, if read at 1 AM, are suddenly the most frightening stuff I've ever looked at. What is it about night-time that makes the mind more easily scared? (And as a side question, why am I more driven to look at the scary stuff when it's night?)

Physics news on Phys.org
i think the most common answer has to do with the fact that our night visions are no where near as good as our day vision. We rely a lot on our sense of sight. When we can't see things clearly we start to wonder if some of the things we can't see can be of harm to us. that leads to us being more alert and paranoid, and in a lot of the cases, more easily scared.

That is the explanation i know of, there might be better ones I'm not aware of though...

yeah, I agree with Wuk, it's basically fear of the unknown.

And also maybe the social knowledge that criminals and fictional monsters prefer night time for that reason (they're better cloaked).

Our brain is predisposed to imposing patterns on stimuli (the primate who perceives the rustle of the bush as a predator may be paranoid but he more likely survives). In low light it is easy for innocuous objects to be perceived as threats e.g. the crumpled coat appearing like a person. Naturally this makes us skittish.

I am not sure Char refers to reading in the dark.

Not that I disagree with the idea that darkness plays on our nerves after millions of years of evolution.

Yeah, creepy movies and books are scarier at night because most people are asleep so won't hear you scream when the zombies break in. You can't see what's outside, but you can hear things, which are probably demons or zombies.

First off, I don't consider the world I live into be a scary place. Also, I've camped throughout my lifetime and have enjoyed it. Looking up at the stars brings me comfort and listening to the crackling of a fire brings me joy.:biggrin: I'm fearless when night falls gently upon me. My mind relaxes and I reflect on the beauty of the day as it unfolded. :smile: I have always looked for the best that life has to offer.

I love camping and light tenting. I was a bit un-nerved when a bear was snuffing around our tent one night. My wife woke up and I told her that it was a racoon, though I knew better. The next morning when we we got up, there were muddy paw-prints and lots of nose prints on the windows of our Nissan Pathfinder. Got a thin layer of rip-stop nylon between you and a black bear? The night can get a bit scarier...

Last edited:
I agree with the last two posts. I spent a large part of my childhood playing and camping in the nearby forests. Oddly when I'm in a forest at night I feel safer than I do in my house at night. I remember distinctly once in my first year of university when me and a bunch of friends (who were all city kids) went into the woods at night, they were incredibly freaked out just by being there which I couldn't understand. I felt comforted by where we were.

However this is just association. I live in a safe part of the world and visit the woods for fun and aesthetic enjoyment. It's only natural that I would associate it with a safe and comforting place.

I have bears up here. I only feel safe in the woods at night if I have a 12 gauge...

Ryan_m_b said:
I agree with the last two posts. I spent a large part of my childhood playing and camping in the nearby forests. Oddly when I'm in a forest at night I feel safer than I do in my house at night. I remember distinctly once in my first year of university when me and a bunch of friends (who were all city kids) went into the woods at night, they were incredibly freaked out just by being there which I couldn't understand. I felt comforted by where we were.

However this is just association. I live in a safe part of the world and visit the woods for fun and aesthetic enjoyment. It's only natural that I would associate it with a safe and comforting place.

The forests' I have been talking about are remote locations that are far away from civilization.:smile: Also, I had an experience long ago in my 20's when I too lived in a very well to do community. I opened the front door and proceeded to head to the kitchen then I turned around to look back at the door and low and behold a man that I didn't know was in my livingroom. He was jacking off in front of me. I remained calm and kept my distance. I was not afraid. If I had become a afraid I would have shown that to him. Fortunately, the kids next door to me saw the man enter my home and told their father. He opened my front door and well let's say that was the end of the stranger. It is always best to be calm. You have to stay cool and calm or you could end up in a bad situation. I should mention I have taken karate. As a woman I think it wise that women should learn how to protect themselves.

Last edited:
ViewsofMars said:
I opened the front door and proceeded to head to the kitchen then I turned around to look back at the door and low and behold a man that I didn't know was in my livingroom. He was jacking off in front of me. I remained calm and kept my distance.
:bugeye:
ViewsofMars said:
You have to stay cool and calm or you could end up in a bad situation. I should mention I have taken karate. As a woman I think it wise that women should learn how to protect themselves.
It is always best for people to learn some self-defence coupled with learning to stay calm and know when not to fight.

Yeah, and that event happened in the afternoon.:eek: I learned early on after that event to always lock my front door once I got into the house even though I live in a very affluent area. Infact, just the other day a man posed as a PGE guy and thank goodness there was a neighbor who saw him and low and behold the phones were ringing around the neighborhood, those at work, and police department. As you already know, community plays an important part in protection services. :wink: Ryan , it's been a pleasure chatting with you.

:biggrin: Have a great day!

ViewsofMars said:
Yeah, and that event happened in the afternoon.:eek: I learned early on after that event to always lock my front door once I got into the house even though I live in a very affluent area. Infact, just the other day a man posed as a PGE guy and thank goodness their was a neighbor who saw him and low and behold the phones were ringing around the neighborhood and those of at work. Community plays an important part in protection services. :wink: Ryan , it's been a pleasure chatting with you. :biggrin:
Sounds like an enviable place to live :smile, you too.

turbo said:
I love camping and light tenting. I was a bit un-nerved when a bear was snuffing around our tent one night. My wife woke up and I told her that it was a racoon, though I knew better. The next morning when we we got up, there were muddy paw-prints and lots of nose prints on the windows of our Nissan Pathfinder. Got a thin layer of rip-stop nylon between you and a black bear? The night can get a bit scarier...

Wow that's scary :eek: I'm glad that the forests in Portugal don't have bears or any dangerous animal :smile:

Tosh5457 said:
Wow that's scary :eek: I'm glad that the forests in Portugal don't have bears or any dangerous animal :smile:

No wolves in Cantabrian Mountains?

Tosh5457 said:
No carnivores there? That's a very special place. Black bears are not normally dangerous, but once they are acclimated to a camp-site and have found food there before, they get brave and are persistent.

In Baxter State Park, the rangers insist that if you are tenting, you must hoist any food up into the trees (you'll be fined if you don't, and they catch you). They also insist that if you rent any of the rustic cabins, you leave them as clean or cleaner than you found them. Many years ago, my cousin's husband got stopped at the trail-head and was told to go back and clean out the stove. His son had tossed a cardboard potato-stix can into the stove, and the metal bottom did not burn. Larry had just hiked 7-1/2 miles out with his pack and gear, and had to hike a 15 mile round-trip to lug out that scrap of aluminum, fording a frigid river each way. Lesson learned! At least he didn't have to lug his pack and gear back and forth that time.

Our interior bears are pretty aggressive. Even the grizzlies that (at least on my home island that shares their namesake) are known to be more tolerant of humans than black bear.

Interior bear got Timothy Treadwell.

Char. Limit said:
(And as a side question, why am I more driven to look at the scary stuff when it's night?)

I can't explain this. Scary/spooky things have always fascinated humans, but I'm not sure why. We deliberately expose ourselves to what should constitute something to be avoided and seem to enjoy it.

The best I can suggest is that it seems to be part excitement and part inoculation.

Borek said:
No wolves in Cantabrian Mountains?

Yes there are wolves in the North, but I thought they didn't attack people. Just looked at wikipedia and it says they do though :tongue:

interesting...

wiki said:
Historically, attacks by healthy wolves tended to be clustered in space and time, indicating that human-killing was not a normal behavior for the average wolf, but rather an atypical behavior that single wolves or packs developed and maintained until they were killed

socially developed behavior

wiki said:
A recent Fennoscandian study on historical wolf attacks occurring in the 18th–19th centuries indicated that victims were almost entirely children under the age of 12, with 85% of the attacks occurring when no adults were present. In the few cases in which an adult was killed, it was almost always a woman. In nearly all cases, only a single victim was injured in each attack, although the victim was with two or three other people in a few cases.

cowards

Pythagorean said:
yeah, I agree with Wuk, it's basically fear of the unknown.

And also maybe the social knowledge that criminals and fictional monsters prefer night time for that reason (they're better cloaked).

Aren't criminals also afraid?

no because they are the 'predator'. only prey should be afraid. because if nothing dares kill you; what to be afraid of?

and we enjoy spooky things at night because of adrenaline and it help us learn what to do in that situation, oftenly leading to better survival chances.

universe21! said:
no because they are the 'predator'. only prey should be afraid. because if nothing dares kill you; what to be afraid of?

and we enjoy spooky things at night because of adrenaline and it help us learn what to do in that situation, oftenly leading to better survival chances.

Criminals are sometimes the predator - other times they are the hunted.

WhoWee said:
Aren't criminals also afraid?

Sure, and plenty of criminals act during the day; but I'd wager the typical human is more likely to fear an intruder coming in at night, whether they themselves are a criminal or not.

Pythagorean said:
Sure, and plenty of criminals act during the day; but I'd wager the typical human is more likely to fear an intruder coming in at night, whether they themselves are a criminal or not.

Hmmm - is it possible the typical criminal is more afraid during the daytime?

WhoWee said:
Hmmm - is it possible the typical criminal is more afraid during the daytime?

I think when you get down to it, criminal is an umbrella term; many operate non-voilently during the work day (con-men, embezzlers, hackers, pirates). There is no typical criminal. I meant to use it as a mental device more than a real person.

1. Why do people often feel more afraid at night?

There are a few reasons why people may feel more afraid at night. One reason is that our senses are heightened in the dark, making us more aware of potential dangers. Additionally, our brains are wired to associate darkness with danger, as this is when predators may be more active. The lack of visibility at night can also make us feel more vulnerable.

2. Is the world actually scarier at night?

No, the world is not inherently scarier at night. Many of our fears and anxieties are psychological and can be influenced by our surroundings and beliefs. While there may be some increased risks at night, such as decreased visibility and potential for crime, these can be mitigated by taking proper precautions.

3. Why do horror movies and stories often take place at night?

Nighttime can create a more eerie and unsettling atmosphere, making it a popular setting for horror movies and stories. Additionally, the darkness can make it easier to hide scary elements and increase the element of surprise.

4. How can I feel safer at night?

There are several steps you can take to feel safer at night, such as staying in well-lit areas, traveling with others, and being aware of your surroundings. It may also help to carry a form of self-defense, such as pepper spray, and to trust your instincts if you feel unsafe.

5. Is it normal to feel afraid at night?

Yes, it is normal to feel afraid at night. As mentioned earlier, our brains are wired to be more vigilant and cautious in the dark. However, if your fear becomes overwhelming and interferes with your daily life, it may be helpful to seek professional help to address any underlying anxiety or phobias.