Is it possible for a long hair to having heavy weight?

In summary: He does not look like a particularly strong man. I find it amazing that he can carry that much weight around all day. Even when cycling and all that is keeping the hair together on top of his head is a piece of cloth.I've got to agree right there. When I saw the photos I was quite surprised, he made it look easy. Carrying 10kg extra on your head is not something easy, and he looked to be a man of a weaker stature than most.
Munyit
http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/tran-van-hay-the-man-with-the-worlds-longest-hair-dies-at-79.html

The man is reported to have the longest hair in the world, they claimed that his hair was measured at 6.8 meters long but never been measured officially. But what I'm skeptical about this was his hair reported to weighed around 10.5 kg. Maybe this is a kind of fake or something alike. But if it indeed real, I think the weight don't come from the hair but maybe because of something in the hair, or perhaps the hair become so matted with other things that make his hair heavy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course it's matted with dirt and oils and other things. Look at it. I don't doubt for a second all that weighs 10.5 kg. Clean hair alone that length would weigh about 1.4 kg (http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art27176.asp), but his is a lot thicker and dirtier for sure.

Last edited:
aroc91 said:
Of course it's matted with dirt and oils and other things. Look at it. I don't doubt for a second all that weighs 10.5 kg. Clean hair alone that length would weigh about 1.4 kg (http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art27176.asp), but his is a lot thicker and dirtier for sure.

Long hair weigh about 1.4 kg? I think even longer hair will have much less weight than that. Actually it's said weigh about 1/4 of a pound, about 113 grams only. But Tran Van Hay's hair really make me feel strange because it having weight at 10.5 kg, but I still think this is just an estimation. Yeah right the weight must be come from the dirt, oils and many other things that become matted with his hair.

You must have missed what I did... I extrapolated the mass based on that woman's hair's approximate length (0.5 m) and the mass she gave.

aroc91 said:
You must have missed what I did... I extrapolated the mass based on that woman's hair's approximate length (0.5 m) and the mass she gave.

I see, so actually you're going to saying that 7 meter clean hair weigh at 1.4 kg? I think maybe that's the plausible weight for such a long hair.

His wife seems to have shorter hair than average for women. :-D LOL

He does not look like a particularly strong man. I find it amazing that he can carry that much weight around all day. Even when cycling and all that is keeping the hair together on top of his head is a piece of cloth.

Mépris said:
He does not look like a particularly strong man. I find it amazing that he can carry that much weight around all day. Even when cycling and all that is keeping the hair together on top of his head is a piece of cloth.

I've got to agree right there. When I saw the photos I was quite surprised, he made it look easy. Carrying 10kg extra on your head is not something easy, and he looked to be a man of a weaker stature than most.

1. Can long hair actually weigh a significant amount?

Yes, long hair can definitely contribute to a person's overall weight. While hair itself is not very heavy, the length and thickness of a person's hair can add up to a few pounds.

2. How much does long hair typically weigh?

The weight of long hair can vary greatly depending on the individual and their hair type. On average, long hair can weigh anywhere from 1 to 3 pounds.

3. Is the weight of long hair evenly distributed throughout the head?

No, the weight of long hair is not evenly distributed throughout the head. The majority of the weight is concentrated on the top and sides of the head, while the hair at the nape of the neck tends to be lighter.

4. Can long hair cause neck or back pain from the added weight?

In most cases, the weight of long hair is not significant enough to cause neck or back pain. However, individuals with very long and thick hair may experience some discomfort if they wear their hair in a high ponytail for extended periods of time.

5. Does the length of hair affect its weight?

Yes, the longer the hair, the heavier it will be. This is because longer hair has more surface area and therefore more strands of hair. Additionally, longer hair tends to be thicker and denser, adding to its weight.