How Do You Solve for B in the Equation y = x(1 - B)?

In summary, The conversation is about working through a section on the classical limit of the relativistic doppler shift and the difficulty the person is having with the algebraic steps. They have spent over an hour trying to figure it out and are unsure if they have made a mistake or if it can be done at all. The conversation ends with a suggestion to post an example of their progression from the first to the second equation. The expert suggests that the equation becomes correct if the last w is replaced with w', but the person points out that the classical doppler shift equation is different.
ck99
Hi folks, I am working through a section on the classical limit of the relativistic doppler shift, but I am stuck on some algebra, I think it should be really basic but I just can't get it to work! My notes go from

w = w'(1 - B)

to

(w' - w)/w = B

The context doesn't matter here really, I am just trying to work out the algebraic steps to go from

y = x(1 - B)

to

( x - y) / y = B

I have spent over an hour going around in circles and it seems impossible, have I copied something down wrong or can it be done?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm almost certain your derivation is completely messed up. It would help if you posted an example of your logical progression from the first to the second equation.

For instance, the primed W is a multiplied variable on the RHS, but a subtracted one on the LHS. Then you've got the constant "1" that magically disappears. . . :what:

Last edited:
ck99 said:
My notes go from

w = w'(1 - B)
to
(w' - w)/w = B

This becomes correct if you replace the last w with w'

That's what I did first of all, but the classical doppler shift equation is Δw/w = B and not Δw/w' = B.

The starting point comes from the Lorentz transform between frames of a photon emitted parallel to the particles motion, in the non-relativistic limit (ie using a Mclaurin series to get the (1-B) factor where B = v/c).

Hi there, it seems like you are trying to solve for B in the equation y = x(1 - B). In order to do that, you can follow these steps:

1. Distribute the x to get y = x - Bx
2. Subtract x from both sides to isolate the B on one side: y - x = -Bx
3. Divide both sides by -x to get B by itself: (y - x)/-x = B
4. Simplify the left side to get your final answer: (x - y)/x = B

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem!

What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that involves the use of symbols and letters to represent numbers and quantities in equations and formulas. It is used to solve problems and find unknown variables.

Why do people get stuck on simple algebra problems?

People may get stuck on simple algebra problems because they lack a strong foundation in basic algebra concepts, or they may struggle with critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, some people may find algebra to be abstract and difficult to understand.

What can I do if I am stuck on a simple algebra problem?

If you are stuck on a simple algebra problem, take a step back and review the basic concepts involved. It may also be helpful to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable steps. Seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also be beneficial.

How can I improve my algebra skills?

Practice is key to improving algebra skills. Make sure to regularly review and practice basic algebra concepts and techniques. Additionally, you can seek out additional resources, such as online tutorials or practice problems, to reinforce your understanding.

Why is algebra important?

Algebra is an important branch of mathematics that is used in various fields, such as science, engineering, economics, and more. It helps us to solve real-world problems and understand relationships between quantities and variables. Additionally, learning algebra can improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills.