How can you measure the swingweight of a tennis racquet without expensive tools?

• Thread starter ambrose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tennis
In summary, the speaker, a scientific student in Paris, is conducting research on the importance of swingweight in tennis rackets. They have three goals: to develop a calculation model, to validate the model with existing measurement tools, and to create a simple experiment to approximate the measurement. They are looking for someone with experience in this area to help them achieve these goals as it has been difficult to find resources in their country. The speaker recommends searching for articles by physics professor Rod Cross and suggests using an iPhone app for convenient swingweight measurement.
ambrose
Hello.
I'am a scientific student in Paris / France.
I am doing a small research about the importance of the swingweight (= Moment Of Inertia) of tennis rackets with 3 goals :
. to define a calculation model to simulate the swingweight and to calculate the impact of adding small weights (lead) on the racket
. to check this model with existing swingweight measurement tools (that I can't afford)
. to build a small experience to approximate the measure
Would you know somebody who could help to achieve these goals ? (somebody who could have some experience)
I have tried to do some search in my country but this is not so easy
Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ambrose said:
Hello.
I'am a scientific student in Paris / France.
I am doing a small research about the importance of the swingweight (= Moment Of Inertia) of tennis rackets with 3 goals :
. to define a calculation model to simulate the swingweight and to calculate the impact of adding small weights (lead) on the racket
. to check this model with existing swingweight measurement tools (that I can't afford)
. to build a small experience to approximate the measure
Would you know somebody who could help to achieve these goals ? (somebody who could have some experience)
I have tried to do some search in my country but this is not so easy
Thank you

There is some existing research on racquet swingweight and the effect on the racquet. I recommend searching for a set of articles by "Rod Cross," a physics professor who is/was also a tennis amateur. Here is a link to some of his articles: http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~cross/publications.html

There is also a iPhone app that measures swing weight through a simple standard procedure using the built-in camera. It works based off the pendulum equation, but the use of the camera makes real-world measurement must more convenient. It only costs $0.99.

1. What is tennis racquet swingweight?

Tennis racquet swingweight is a measurement of the racquet's resistance to being swung. It is typically measured in units of kg*cm^2 and is an indicator of the racquet's overall weight distribution and maneuverability.

2. How is tennis racquet swingweight determined?

Tennis racquet swingweight is determined by balancing the racquet at a certain point along the handle, and then measuring the amount of weight needed to balance it. The further the balance point is from the handle, the higher the swingweight will be.

3. What is considered a high swingweight for a tennis racquet?

A high swingweight for a tennis racquet is typically considered to be above 335 kg*cm^2. This indicates that the racquet has a larger head and/or is more evenly balanced, resulting in more power and stability but less maneuverability.

4. How does swingweight affect a player's performance?

The swingweight of a tennis racquet can greatly affect a player's performance. A higher swingweight can provide more power and stability, but can also make it more difficult to swing quickly. On the other hand, a lower swingweight may make the racquet easier to maneuver, but may result in less power.

5. Can the swingweight of a tennis racquet be adjusted?

Yes, the swingweight of a tennis racquet can be adjusted by adding or removing weight at specific points on the racquet. This can be done by a professional racquet technician to customize the racquet to a player's preferences and style of play.