A projectile is shot straight up from the Earth's surface

In summary, the projectile is shot straight up from the Earth's surface at a speed of 3055.5555555m/s and the KE from the launch is exchanged for this change in gravitational PE.
chicagobears34

Homework Statement

A projectile is shot straight up from the Earth's surface at a speed of 1.10×10^4 km/hr

Homework Equations

mgh=.5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the speed to m/s and 3055.5556 m/s
masses cancel out so i get 9.8h=.5v^2
I plugged in v and solved for H and got 476347.95m, which was wrong.
I'm not sure if this is how you are supposed to solve this problem, but i can't think of any other ways.

Physics news on Phys.org
"mgh" works only for low altitudes.

voko said:
"mgh" works only for low altitudes.

Ok, what would I use then?
What other gravitational equations have height in them?

Newton's law of gravitation?

Newton's law of gravitation is Fg=GmM/r^2. or Ug= GmM/r
how would I get height out of that?

What is "r"?

radius and I'm not given any masses. the m would cancel out if I do KE=PE, but the M wouldnt

Radius from where?

r would be radius from center of the Earth to the projectile.
so would I do GmM/R=.5mv^2?
G=6.673x10^-11
M=5.972x10^24
solve for R and subtract by radius of earth?

That would be correct. Note that you could find out what GM is by considering the magnitude of the force of gravity right at the surface of the Earth.

I converted 1.10x10^4 km/hr to 3055.55555m/s and solved for R and got 85328725.7m and then I subtracted by the Earth Radius which is 6371000m and got 78955725.7 as the final answer but that is still wrong

The projectile begins at a certain radius, so it has some initial gravitational potential. It ends up at some new distance with another gravitational potential. The KE from the launch is exchanged for this change in gravitational PE.

So you should write an expression for the change in gravitational PE and relate it to the change in KE.

Excuse me for butting in but isn't there a relationship something like E = G(m1)(m2)(1/(r1) -1/(r2))

or you can use calculus to integrate E = Int(G(m1)(m2)/r^2) from the surface of the Earth r1 to r2

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is thrown or shot through the air. This can include objects such as a ball, a bullet, or even a rocket.

2. What does it mean to shoot something "straight up"?

Shooting something straight up means to launch an object at a 90 degree angle from the ground, directly upwards.

3. How does the Earth's surface affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The Earth's surface affects the trajectory of a projectile through its gravitational pull. As the projectile travels upwards, it will eventually reach a point where the gravitational force pulling it back down is equal to the force of its initial launch. This is known as the projectile's maximum height.

4. What factors influence the motion of a projectile shot straight up from the Earth's surface?

The motion of a projectile shot straight up is influenced by several factors, including the initial velocity, the angle of launch, air resistance, and the gravitational force of the Earth.

5. What happens to a projectile shot straight up after it reaches its maximum height?

After reaching its maximum height, the projectile will begin to fall back towards the Earth's surface due to the force of gravity. It will follow the same path as it did when it was launched, but in the opposite direction.