Engineering PhDs: Is it Worth It?

• Thread starter GrantAPowell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary: P.h.d. in Reproduction is a valuable addition to the engineering workforce.There are a few reasons. One reason is that with a P.h.d. in Reproduction, engineers can contribute to the development of reproductive technologies. Reproduction is an important topic, and it's something that engineers can contribute to. Another reason is that a P.h.d. in Reproduction can help engineers who work on reproductive technologies to have a deeper understanding of reproductive biology. Finally, a P.h.d. in Reproduction can help engineers who work on reproductive technologies to have a deeper understanding of the ethical implications of their work. All of
GrantAPowell
Are Ph. Ds in engineering worth it? I don't want to teach at a college, so that isn't what I am going for, but in general, in the field of engineering, are they worth it?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what you want to do. To practice engineering, an undergraduate degree is sufficient. If you want to teach engineering, you would probably need at least a master's degree, depending on the institution. If you want to do research in an engineering field, then probably a graduate degree would be required, depending on where and for whom you would do the research.

You must realize that the graduate degrees require you to take advanced courses in engineering topics and math which are typically not covered in the undergraduate curriculum. The advanced degree is not just a way for the university to suck additional money from the grad student.

SteamKing said:
The advanced degree is not just a way for the university to suck additional money from the grad student.

Besides, in Engineering & at good universities the direction of money transfer is often from university to student. You get fairly decent stipends, though never as good as a "real" job.

I know quite a few people with an engineering PhD who don't teach ... and most have never taught.

They are mostly research engineers working at high-tech companies (lasers, solid state, mathematical modelling, etc), but a few lead advanced engineering projects for industrial companies. I worked with several at the Ford Scientific Research Laboratory when I was doing controls work.

They were all very knowledgeable, focused, and hard working.

And if you are accepted directly into an engineering PhD program your tuition and fees are paid for, plus you get a stipend which is enough to live on. If your scores are quite good enough they will accept you for an MS, which you must pay for, and then if you do well your research adviser will fund your PhD.

Last edited:
You absolutely need a PhD to teach anywhere reputable, but that's not what a PhD is solely good for, and the vast minority of PhDs end up teaching.

The real purpose is to get into research. You can do that with a MS but unless you have that PhD, you won't easily get into any sort of leadership position doing research.

Also keep in mind that a PhD is not a financial payoff. They don't make appreciably more than those with an MS and they are a ton of work, so don't go into it for money. That's a recipe for failure, and you'll be sorely disappointed.

boneh3ad said:
You absolutely need a PhD to teach anywhere reputable, but that's not what a PhD is solely good for, and the vast minority of PhDs end up teaching.
I suspect it's the other way around: The vast majority of engineering PhDs end up *not* teaching, no different than any other technical field. The same mathematics that makes so many HEP physicists complain at this site about not being able to get a job in academia applies to engineering. Tenured professors supervise ten or so PhD candidates over the course of their career. Only one is needed as a replacement. Another one *might* get a career in academia due to the growth of academia. The other eight or so? They don't get a job in academia. They have to look to government and industry for employment.

There's a big difference between those HEP physics PhDs and the typical engineering PhD. Industry gobbles up members of the latter group. Industry needs those engineering PhDs to develop new ideas, lead projects, and climb the technical or management ladder. The CEOs of technical companies are rather heavily biased toward PhD engineers. The CTO (chief technology officer) is even more likely to be a PhD engineer.

D H said:
I suspect it's the other way around: The vast majority of engineering PhDs end up *not* teaching, no different than any other technical field.

I suspect you misread my post, as this is exactly what I said.

You're right. I misread your "vast minority" as "vast majority".

D H said:
You're right. I misread your "vast minority" as "vast majority".

I'm tricky like that. :tongue:

thats the vas deferens

Windadct said:
thats the vas deferens

Why bring in reproduction?

My community college physics professor and dean is a P.h.d in Mechanical Engineering

1. What is the average salary for a PhD in engineering?

The average salary for a PhD in engineering varies depending on the specific field of engineering, but it is generally higher than the average salary for a bachelor's or master's degree in engineering. According to the National Science Foundation, the median salary for engineering PhDs in the United States was $108,000 in 2017.

2. How long does it take to complete an engineering PhD program?

The length of an engineering PhD program can vary, but it typically takes between 4 to 6 years to complete. This includes coursework, research, and writing and defending a dissertation. Some programs may also offer an option to complete the program in a shorter time frame for students who already have a master's degree in a related field.

3. What are the job prospects for engineering PhDs?

The job prospects for engineering PhDs are generally very good. Graduates with a PhD in engineering are highly sought after for research and development positions in both industry and academia. They are also in high demand for leadership roles in engineering companies and government agencies.

4. Is there a significant difference in job opportunities between a master's and a PhD in engineering?

While a master's degree in engineering can lead to a successful career, a PhD in engineering can open up more opportunities for advanced research and leadership positions. PhDs are also typically offered higher salaries and have a greater potential for career advancement.

5. What skills and qualities are necessary for success in an engineering PhD program?

To succeed in an engineering PhD program, it is important to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a deep understanding of mathematics and science. Other important qualities include perseverance, creativity, and the ability to work independently and collaboratively. Excellent time management and communication skills are also essential for completing the program successfully.