High School Physics Competition: Change in Entropy

by ReneG
Tags: competition, entropy, physics, school
ReneG
Sep29-13, 03:26 PM
P: 4
During a physics competition, I came across this question.
What is the change in entropy of the system when 1.25 " 103 J of heat is added to the system that is maintained at a constant 75.0 C?
My work was
[itex]\begin{align*}\Delta S &= \frac{Q}{T} \\ \Delta S &= \frac{1.25 \times 10^3 \, \mathrm{J}}{348 \, \mathrm{K}} \\ \Delta S &= 3.59 \,\,\mathrm{\left( J/K\right )} \end{align*}[/itex]

but I was stuck in between two answer choices

c) + 3.59 J/K
d) # 3.59 J/K

I had no idea what the hashtag meant, so I skipped it. Can someone clear this up for me?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
dipole
Sep29-13, 03:33 PM
P: 418
Honestly I have no idea, but certainly the change in entropy is positive, so answer c) is correct. Maybe it's a misprint?
rrnmarie
Sep30-13, 02:01 PM
P: 3
I guess what dipole said it's right 'cause it sometimes happens

ReneG
Oct1-13, 12:44 AM
P: 4

High School Physics Competition: Change in Entropy

For anyone who was wondering, the hashtag just meant "negative". Thank you dipole.

Register to reply