What Could Be Causing Fluctuations in Quantum Yield Measurements?

In summary, the speaker has been experiencing difficulties with their fluorescence spectra while measuring quantum yields in the lab. The intensity of the spectra for the same molecule remains consistent most of the time, but occasionally drops significantly resulting in poor quantum yields. They are wondering what could be causing this and if it could be due to a bad blank. They also mention that their sample prep is not the issue and provide a potential explanation for the fluctuations in the fluorescence spectra.
amattiol
Hello,
I have been measuring quantum yields in the lab for quite some time and have occasionally been running into some difficulty with my fluorescence spectra. The intensity (CPS) of the spectra for the same molecule will remain the same under the same conditions most of the time; then, every now and then it will be an order or two of magnitude lower. This obviously results very poor quantum yields, that are not even close to where they should be.

What I am wondering is what might be going on. The solvent is always the same, slit widths the same, excitation the same (though it shouldn't matter).

Could it be a bad blank?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I should note, when plotting the ∫ of fluorescence spectra vs UV-vis abs, the result is a near perfect linear relationship... as it should be; this makes me believe sample prep is not the culprit.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

1. What is quantum yield determination?

Quantum yield determination is a scientific method used to measure the efficiency of a chemical reaction or process in producing a desired product or outcome. It is often used in fields such as chemistry, physics, and biology to study the behavior of molecules and atoms.

2. How is quantum yield determined?

Quantum yield is determined by comparing the number of product molecules produced by a reaction to the number of reactant molecules that underwent the reaction. This ratio is then multiplied by 100 to express the quantum yield as a percentage.

3. What factors can affect quantum yield?

The efficiency of a reaction or process can be influenced by various factors, including the concentration of reactants, temperature, and the presence of catalysts. Additionally, the properties of the molecules involved, such as their electronic states and energy levels, can also impact quantum yield.

4. Why is quantum yield determination important?

Quantum yield determination is important because it allows scientists to understand the underlying mechanisms of chemical reactions and processes. By accurately measuring the efficiency of a reaction, researchers can gain insights into the behavior of molecules and their interactions, which can ultimately lead to the development of new technologies and applications.

5. Are there different methods for determining quantum yield?

Yes, there are various methods for determining quantum yield, including steady-state and time-resolved techniques. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method often depends on the specific properties of the reaction being studied.