Spin of Black Holes: How Does it Affect Collapse?

In summary, a discussion about the spin of black holes led to a mention of Kerr black holes, which have a toroidal singularity and a region where causality is broken. It is possible for a black hole to have a spin rate of 0, but in most cases, the simpler Schwarzschild solution is used. The idea of spinning black holes having wormholes is not scientifically proven and is more commonly seen in science fiction.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was just discussing a paper about the spin of a black hole and it made me wonder.

If the object that collapsed into a black hole had some spin to begin with, and a collapsing rotating object spins faster like the ice scater pulling her arms towards her body, then as the size approached 0 (singularity), shouldn't the spin approach infinity?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Look up Kerr black holes. These are the ones with spin. they do not have point singularities but ring or torodal ones the angular momentum is in the spin. See also the topic "view from a ring singularity" on this topics page

i've heard that spining bhs have wormholes. is it right? i know that this worm hole stuff hasen't been proved. i think this is just a hypothesis. is this true?

i've heard that spining bhs have wormholes. is it right? i know that this worm hole stuff hasen't been proved. i think this is just a hypothesis. is this true?

No, there is no sciencific basis for that at all. In fact, I think it is straight out of some sci-fi movie from the 60's.

Soul Surfer said:
Look up Kerr black holes. These are the ones with spin. they do not have point singularities but ring or torodal ones the angular momentum is in the spin. See also the topic "view from a ring singularity" on this topics page

I am not very well informed on Kerr black holes. Why don't they have point singularities? And even if they don't I still expect the angular momentum to increase as they collapse. Can someone elaborate?

Thanks!

When you're working with the Kerr metric and you compute [tex]R^{abcd}R_{abcd}[/tex] you end up with (assuming no charge, otherwise it's horrific according to my lecturer) [tex]R^{abcd}R_{abcd} = \frac{48m^{2}}{(r^{2}+a^{2}\cos^{2}\theta)^{2}}[/tex]. This is never singular unless you approach the black hole along the equatorial plane [tex]\theta = \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex].

As such, if you fall into the black hole off this plane, then you can actually go to a region with r<0, because from your point of view no singularity exists at r=0. Hence, you end up with a toroidal singularity which exists in the equatorial plane.

If you're familiar withg Penrose diagrams, you can show that moving in such a fashion takes you into another asymptotically flat space-time, but separate from your original space time.

The toroidal singularity also have a region around it where causality is broken too.

I'm just going on my lecture notes on my desk, so not terribly familiar with it myself.

It's hard to imagine any objects in the universe whose spin rate is 0.00000...
So why aren't all black holes Kerrs?

tony873004 said:
It's hard to imagine any objects in the universe whose spin rate is 0.00000...
So why aren't all black holes Kerrs?

They probably are, technically, but if the spin is sufficiently small, the Schwarzschild solution will be a good approximation. The metric and orbits of a Schwarzschild black hole are much simpler, so that's often the only type of black hole you'll hear about from people interested in black hole phenomenology.

1. What is the spin of a black hole?

The spin of a black hole refers to the rotation of the black hole on its axis. This rotation is caused by the angular momentum of the matter that falls into the black hole.

2. How does the spin of a black hole affect its collapse?

The spin of a black hole can affect its collapse in several ways. The faster a black hole is spinning, the more difficult it is for matter to fall into it. This can slow down the collapse of the black hole. Additionally, the spin can also affect the shape of the black hole, making it more oblate (squashed) rather than spherical.

3. Can the spin of a black hole change?

Yes, the spin of a black hole can change over time. This can happen if the black hole accretes more matter, which can cause it to spin faster. However, the spin of a black hole can also be affected by external forces, such as gravitational interactions with other objects.

4. Is the spin of a black hole related to its size?

Yes, the spin of a black hole is related to its size. As a black hole's mass increases, so does its spin. This means that larger black holes tend to have faster spins compared to smaller ones. However, the exact relationship between mass and spin is still being studied by scientists.

5. How do scientists measure the spin of a black hole?

Scientists use various methods to measure the spin of a black hole. One method is to observe the accretion disk around the black hole, which can give clues about the black hole's spin. Another method is to study the gravitational waves emitted by the black hole, which can also provide information about its spin.