Make photons into some material?

In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of photons into a material and the early universe being composed of pure energy. The participants clarify the definition of "directly making photons into a material" and suggest asking for more information in a cosmology forum. They also mention that the early universe was actually composed of plasma, not pure energy.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Do scientists have the means to directly make photons into some material ?

Science news on Phys.org
What do you mean by directly and what do you mean by making photons in a material?

inha said:
What do you mean by directly and what do you mean by making photons in a material?

I mean, the raw, (material) used is photons, and the end result is something
of substance.

Oh, I misunderstood you a bit. Well you can make a high energy photon to an electron-positron pair.

inha said:
Oh, I misunderstood you a bit. Well you can make a high energy photon to an electron-positron pair.
Thanks inha, i asked the question as i can find nothing about how our universe changed from pure energy to a mixture of energy matter, i may not have looked in the right places.

Maybe you should have asked this in the cosmology forum. The regulars there should know about early universe stuff.

inha said:
Maybe you should have asked this in the cosmology forum. The regulars there should know about early universe stuff.
Thanks again inha, but they get a bit nebulous in that forum, i thought this one would be more to the fact.

wolram said:
Thanks inha, i asked the question as i can find nothing about how our universe changed from pure energy to a mixture of energy matter, i may not have looked in the right places.

I don't know where you read that the universe was once pure energy? As far as I understand the earliest universe was composed of plasma, made up of free floating ions, which are particles of matter.

1. How can photons be turned into a material?

Photons, which are particles of light, cannot be directly turned into a material. However, through a process called photon-induced material synthesis, photons can be used to manipulate and rearrange the atoms and molecules of a material to create a new material.

2. What is the purpose of making photons into a material?

The purpose of making photons into a material is to create new materials that have unique properties and characteristics that cannot be achieved through traditional methods of material synthesis. This can lead to advancements in technology, such as more efficient solar cells or stronger and lighter materials for construction.

3. What types of materials can be created using photons?

Using photon-induced material synthesis, a wide range of materials can be created, including metals, semiconductors, ceramics, and polymers. The properties of the resulting material can be controlled by adjusting the intensity and wavelength of the photons used.

4. What are the challenges of using photons to create materials?

One of the main challenges of using photons to create materials is the precision and control required. The process is highly sensitive to factors such as temperature, pressure, and the purity of the materials being used. Additionally, the equipment and technology needed for this process can be expensive and complex.

5. Are there any potential applications for materials created through photon-induced material synthesis?

Yes, there are many potential applications for materials created through this process. Some examples include more efficient solar cells, stronger and lighter building materials, and advanced electronic devices. This technology also has potential applications in medicine, such as creating new biocompatible materials for medical implants.