How Does Synthetic Division Work?

• Thread starter forevergone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Division
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between regular long division and synthetic division, with the latter being seen as a more efficient method. The main difference is that in synthetic division, the unknown variable is always set as 10, while in long division it can vary. The conversation also touches on the concept of putting x=10 into polynomials and how it relates to solving equations using synthetic division.
forevergone
I'm always curious as to how this works? I mean, it's amazing that, even though dividing by binomials, that this sort of mechanism works but I don't understand quite the qwerks behind this.

Can someone fulfill my curiousity?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's just like regular long division except in regular long division the unknown variable always equals 10 (if you're working in base 10).

What kind of explanation are you looking for, a proof of the algorithm?

Yes. A proof of the algorithm would better help me understand the workings behind this algorithm.

EDIT: Whats the difference between regular long division using base 10 and synthetic division? Don't they both use a decimal based system?

By synthetic division, I take it you mean what I'd call polynomial division?

When you do a long division, you can write

341 into 212784 = 624

as

(3.100 + 4.10 + 1) into (2.100000 + 1.10000 + 2.1000 + 7.100 + 8.10 + 4) equals 6.100 + 2.20 + 4.

Alternatively, you could write it as

(3x2 + 4x + 1) into (2x5 + 1x4 + 2x3 + 7x2 + 8x + 4) = 6x2 + 2x + 4

and then write x=10.

Do you see what Orthodontist means when he says that synthetic division is just like long division, except that the unknown variable is always 10?

Maybe I'm getting the wrong idea from this, but you're saying that if you divide ANY polynomial expression through synthetic division, I would always get 10 as one of my roots?

No, he didn't say anything like that- he said that if you put x= 10 the polynomials you get the numbers in the example.

synthetic division is for lazy people.

Long division always wins

Not true at all.

Intelligent people always go for the more efficient method of solving problems.

As for putting x = 10 into the polynomials, I don't understand this step:

341 into 212784 = 624

as

(3.100 + 4.10 + 1) into (2.100000 + 1.10000 + 2.1000 + 7.100 + 8.10 + 4) equals 6.100 + 2.20 + 4.

Can you please tell me how you derive that?

" 3.100+ 4.10+ 1" should be 3*100+ 4*10+ 1 which is, of course, 341.

ovoleg said:
synthetic division is for lazy people.

Long division always wins

Synthetic division IS long division - only done more efficiently.

HallsofIvy said:
" 3.100+ 4.10+ 1" should be 3*100+ 4*10+ 1 which is, of course, 341.
Sorry, yeah, I always use a '.' to mean multiplication now. Force of habit etc...

What is Synthetic Division?

Synthetic division is a method used in algebra to divide a polynomial by a binomial. It is a shortcut method that makes the division process faster and simpler.

When is Synthetic Division used?

Synthetic division is typically used when dividing a polynomial by a linear binomial of the form x - c. It is most commonly used to find the roots of a polynomial function.

How does Synthetic Division work?

The process of synthetic division involves setting up a table and using coefficients of the polynomial and the constant term of the binomial to perform a series of additions and multiplications. The final result is the remainder of the division and the coefficients of the quotient.

What are the advantages of using Synthetic Division?

Synthetic division is a quicker and more efficient method compared to long division when dividing polynomials. It also eliminates the need for dealing with variables and exponents, making the process more straightforward.

Are there any limitations to Synthetic Division?

Synthetic division can only be used when dividing by linear binomials of the form x - c. It cannot be used for dividing by polynomials with a degree higher than two, or when the divisor is not in the form of x - c.