How Does Magnetic Force Affect a Charged Metal Ball in Motion?

In summary, a metal ball with a net charge of 8.9e-6 C is thrown horizontally out of a window at a speed of 47 m/s, from a height of 89 m above the ground. The ball's trajectory is affected by a uniform horizontal magnetic field of magnitude 0.03 T. Using the formula V_y^2= V_y_i^2 + 2a_y (y-y_i), the vertical component is calculated to be -\sqrt 2gh j. The magnetic force acting on the ball just before it hits the ground is found using the formula F_b= q v x B = q(v_i - 2 \sqrt 2gh j) x Bk = Qv
Punchlinegirl
A metal ball having net charge 8.9e-6 C is thrown out of a window horizontally at a speed 47 m/s. The window is at a height 89 m above the ground. A uniform horizontal magnetic field of magnitude 0.03 T is perpendicular to the plane of the ball's trajectory. Find the magnitude of the magnetic force acting on the ball just before it hits the ground. Answer in units of N.

I started off by using [tex] V_y^2= V_y_i^2 + 2a_y (y-y_i) [/tex]
So the vertical component is -[tex] \sqrt 2gh [/tex] j.
[tex] F_b= q v x B = q(v_i - 2 \sqrt 2gh j) x Bk = QvB(-j)-Q \sqrt 2gh B i [/tex]
[tex] F_b = 8.9e-6 (47)(.03) j + (8.9e-6) \sqrt 2(9.8)(89)(.03) [/tex]
F_b = 1.25e-5 j + 6.44e-5 i
Then I found the magnitude of F_b by squaring both terms and taking the square root to get 6.56e-5 N, but this wasn't right.. can someone help me? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Your calculations seem to be correct, but there may be a small error in your calculation of the vertical component of the velocity. It should be -\sqrt{2gh} instead of -\sqrt{2gh}j. Also, make sure to convert all units to SI units (m, s, kg, etc.) before plugging them into the equation.

Alternatively, you can also use the formula F_b = qvBsin(theta), where theta is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field. In this case, theta would be 90 degrees since the ball is moving horizontally and the magnetic field is perpendicular to it. So the magnitude of F_b would be qvB, which is (8.9e-6)(47)(0.03) = 1.25e-5 N.

In both cases, the magnitude of the magnetic force is 1.25e-5 N, which is the same as your calculated value. Make sure to double check your units and any small errors in calculations.

What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for the interactions between magnetic materials. It is a force that is exerted between two or more magnets or between a magnet and a moving charged particle.

How is magnetic force calculated?

Magnetic force is calculated using the equation F = qvB sinθ, where F is the magnetic force, q is the charge of the particle, v is the velocity of the particle, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the velocity vector and the magnetic field vector.

What factors affect magnetic force?

The strength of the magnetic force depends on the magnitude of the charge of the particle, the speed of the particle, the strength of the magnetic field, and the angle between the velocity and magnetic field vectors. Additionally, the distance between the two objects and the permeability of the materials also affect the magnetic force.

How can magnetic force be used in everyday life?

Magnetic force has a variety of applications in everyday life. Some examples include magnetic levitation in trains, MRI machines for medical imaging, speakers and headphones, and credit card readers. It is also used in power generation through the use of generators.

What is the difference between magnetic force and electric force?

Magnetic force and electric force are both fundamental forces of nature, but they have some key differences. Magnetic force only acts on moving charged particles, while electric force can act on both stationary and moving charged particles. Additionally, magnetic force is always perpendicular to the velocity of the particle, while electric force can act in any direction. Finally, magnetic force is caused by the interaction of magnetic fields, while electric force is caused by the interaction of electric fields.